Recent Topics
Moog wheel bearing and knuckle assy
by Imp4 - 02/16/20 07:37 PM
Daytona 500 engine related question
by OilUzer - 02/16/20 07:37 PM
2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 NA
by 762fermeandyou - 02/16/20 07:29 PM
DIY Paintless Dent Removal....
by dblshock - 02/16/20 07:17 PM
Bad sports teams
by 53' Stude - 02/16/20 06:42 PM
Valvoline 20W-50 Baja 1000 Race oil
by kstanf150 - 02/16/20 06:21 PM
How to stand on the roof of a Saturn Vue?
by atikovi - 02/16/20 06:09 PM
Spliceline wire connectors
by Donald - 02/16/20 05:22 PM
Found a few clearance oils at AZ today
by PantherFan88 - 02/16/20 04:55 PM
NASCAR electric
by CourierDriver - 02/16/20 04:52 PM
Valvoline Modern Engine vs Regular synthetic?
by PantherFan88 - 02/16/20 04:50 PM
Converting 1970 396 to Fuel Injection
by 007 - 02/16/20 04:47 PM
2016 frontier.
by red7404 - 02/16/20 04:34 PM
Ruger .22 SA - not a good show
by JHZR2 - 02/16/20 03:48 PM
engine maintenance Jaguar
by jssaab - 02/16/20 03:02 PM
New TSC clearance
by Greg L - 02/16/20 02:58 PM
Castrol Edge 5w20 and 5w30 Costco
by nlife - 02/16/20 02:41 PM
Generator Hour Meter
by spasm3 - 02/16/20 01:44 PM
Newest Members
Clifton, JohnEmm, Fastvette, Geode, rob1715
70716 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
110 registered members (4WD, 5AcresAndAFool, ABerns, Aichiguy, 53' Stude, 762fermeandyou, 13 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 45 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics301,541
Posts5,197,547
Members70,716
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: Wolf359] #5289727 12/09/19 06:31 PM
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 160
N
NDL Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Your mechanic should also be able to test for it if you don't know how. Basically you disconnect the battery and put a meter between the terminals when the car is off. If it's beyond a certain amount, then you have a parasitic draw. Also it's not the winter that kills the battery, it's probably the heat. You only notice it in the winter. The curves are crossed, in hot weather, the battery generates more current, in cold weather less. In hot weather, it takes less current to turn over the engine, in cold weather it takes more. So when the heat kills your battery in the summer, you don't notice it til the winter. As others said, I don't think you have a battery problem, it's probably a charging system problem or some parasitic draw. You're not in that hot a climate, otherwise in a hot state, then yeah 3 years is what a lot of people get as it's the heat that bakes a battery not the cold. You could also take the car to get the system load tested before the warranty expires and that will tell you how good the battery is so you can get it changed out before the warranty expires and not wait til it leaves you stranded.


Many many thanks for your reply. I will do as you suggested.

Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: NDL] #5289728 12/09/19 06:32 PM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,465
B
bbhero Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,465
Here's what I am thinking size wise my friend...

A group 34 battery.... Height is almost identical to your 59 sized battery. Width is less by a bit... Both are top post SAE.... And polarity is the same direction group 34 and 59 .. slightly longer by 1/2 inch at most... Better CCA.... 800 CCA vs 590... Weight is more too... 41 pounds for a East Penn Superstart from O Reilly's vs only 38 pounds for the group 59...


Interesting to note... The supposed group 59 batteries I am seeing.... Are all off in terms of Length vs what those batteries are truly supposed to be... A true BCI group 59 battery is supposed to be 10.1 inches long..... Yet the ones I see from O Reilly's and Napa are all shorter.... By close to 1 inch or more...

The group 34 battery is supposed to be10.3 inches long.

Last edited by bbhero; 12/09/19 06:47 PM.

Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
Cam2 SuperproMax 5w30 Carquest r84356 Oil filter
"Treat your family like your friends and treat your friends like your family."
Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: NDL] #5289740 12/09/19 06:47 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,698
0
01rangerxl Offline
Offline
0
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,698
I hate group 59. Never found a great one. I always get slight leakage around the caps. The O'Reilly's battery I got last time isn't as bad as the NAPA Legends I used before it...pretty sure the NAPA batteries are Johnson Controls. Never have gotten more than 3-4 years out of a battery in my 02 Ranger either.

Maybe I'll try a 34 next time.


2002 Ford Ranger XLT | 3.0 V6 Auto 2WD | 236K miles
1994 Ford Ranger STX | 4.0 V6 Manual 4X4 | 202K miles
1994 Ford Explorer XLT | 4.0 V6 Auto 4X4 | 254K miles
Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: NDL] #5289763 12/09/19 07:04 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 586
J
jayjr1105 Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 586
Pretty sure NAPA aren't JC, I can't remember who they are made by


2013 Mazda 3 - PP 0w20
2005 Honda Odyssey - PP HM 5w20
Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: NDL] #5289771 12/09/19 07:10 PM
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,265
sloinker Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,265
VARTA makes the best and longest lasting battery in my experience.


'16 Tiguan TSI Vaico 5W40
'15 VW Golf TDI Ravenol VMP 5W30
'15 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI VMP 5W30
'14 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.6 Red Line Blue Label 5W20
'64 Plymouth Fury440 Red Line Blue Label 10W40
Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: 01rangerxl] #5289774 12/09/19 07:13 PM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,068
V
volk06 Offline
Offline
V
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,068
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Pretty sure NAPA aren't JC, I can't remember who they are made by

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
I hate group 59. Never found a great one. I always get slight leakage around the caps. The O'Reilly's battery I got last time isn't as bad as the NAPA Legends I used before it...pretty sure the NAPA batteries are Johnson Controls. Never have gotten more than 3-4 years out of a battery in my 02 Ranger either.

Maybe I'll try a 34 next time.


Napa is East Penn/Deka.

Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: NDL] #5289775 12/09/19 07:15 PM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,465
B
bbhero Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,465
Originally Posted by NDL
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Your mechanic should also be able to test for it if you don't know how. Basically you disconnect the battery and put a meter between the terminals when the car is off. If it's beyond a certain amount, then you have a parasitic draw. Also it's not the winter that kills the battery, it's probably the heat. You only notice it in the winter. The curves are crossed, in hot weather, the battery generates more current, in cold weather less. In hot weather, it takes less current to turn over the engine, in cold weather it takes more. So when the heat kills your battery in the summer, you don't notice it til the winter. As others said, I don't think you have a battery problem, it's probably a charging system problem or some parasitic draw. You're not in that hot a climate, otherwise in a hot state, then yeah 3 years is what a lot of people get as it's the heat that bakes a battery not the cold. You could also take the car to get the system load tested before the warranty expires and that will tell you how good the battery is so you can get it changed out before the warranty expires and not wait til it leaves you stranded.


Many many thanks for your reply. I will do as you suggested.



A really, really good post by Wolf ^^^^^^^


Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
Cam2 SuperproMax 5w30 Carquest r84356 Oil filter
"Treat your family like your friends and treat your friends like your family."
Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: NDL] #5289837 12/09/19 08:32 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,703
E
E150GT Offline
Offline
E
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,703
I've gone AGM. Time will tell if it's money well spent


1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD - 100k
1995 F150 XL 4.9 reg cab 5MT - 251k 5w30
2016 Mazda6 Touring 6MT - 68k 5w30
2006 Buick Lucerne CXL 3.8 40k 5w30
Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: 01rangerxl] #5289870 12/09/19 09:16 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,933
S
SubLGT Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,933
Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
...pretty sure the NAPA batteries are Johnson Controls.


Johnson Controls no longer exists.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/05/20190502-clarios.html

Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: volk06] #5289919 12/09/19 10:20 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,698
0
01rangerxl Offline
Offline
0
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,698
Originally Posted by volk06


Napa is East Penn/Deka.


So my O'Reilly's battery is probably the same thing as the stupid NAPA Legend. No wonder it has started leaking around the caps.

59 seems like an afterthought size. I ordered an AC Delco one from the distributor we use at work and it looked as old as the truck, so I sent it back. Motorcraft is expensive and still only lasts 3-4 years in my '02.


2002 Ford Ranger XLT | 3.0 V6 Auto 2WD | 236K miles
1994 Ford Ranger STX | 4.0 V6 Manual 4X4 | 202K miles
1994 Ford Explorer XLT | 4.0 V6 Auto 4X4 | 254K miles
Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: 01rangerxl] #5290067 12/10/19 06:50 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 423
O
oilstudent24 Offline
Offline
O
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 423
I’m not sure how long NAPA has been made by East Penn, but my Oreillys And Duracell Auto Batteries made by East Penn are way better about not having the terminal corrosion.

Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: E150GT] #5290156 12/10/19 08:10 AM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 586
J
jayjr1105 Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 586
Originally Posted by E150GT
I've gone AGM. Time will tell if it's money well spent


Same, I went against my better judgement where I could have gotten an Interstate at Costco for $80. I went with a Champion Group 35 AGM at PepBoys because they were running a $50 rebate on black friday weekend. Time will tell indeed.


2013 Mazda 3 - PP 0w20
2005 Honda Odyssey - PP HM 5w20
Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: bbhero] #5290427 12/10/19 01:02 PM
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 160
N
NDL Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by bbhero
Here's what I am thinking size wise my friend...

A group 34 battery.... Height is almost identical to your 59 sized battery. Width is less by a bit... Both are top post SAE.... And polarity is the same direction group 34 and 59 .. slightly longer by 1/2 inch at most... Better CCA.... 800 CCA vs 590... Weight is more too... 41 pounds for a East Penn Superstart from O Reilly's vs only 38 pounds for the group 59...


Interesting to note... The supposed group 59 batteries I am seeing.... Are all off in terms of Length vs what those batteries are truly supposed to be... A true BCI group 59 battery is supposed to be 10.1 inches long..... Yet the ones I see from O Reilly's and Napa are all shorter.... By close to 1 inch or more...

The group 34 battery is supposed to be10.3 inches long.


I thank you for both your time, and for the information, that you posted. I can't believe how far superior the 34's specs are to the 59's, for a similarly sized battery. Incredible, actually.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
I hate group 59. Never found a great one. I always get slight leakage around the caps. The O'Reilly's battery I got last time isn't as bad as the NAPA Legends I used before it...pretty sure the NAPA batteries are Johnson Controls. Never have gotten more than 3-4 years out of a battery in my 02 Ranger either.

Maybe I'll try a 34 next time.


NAPA are now Deka (I spoke with Deka directly, yesterday).

Meanwhile, the original Motorcraft battery in my Ranger lasted almost 6 years. I only swapped it out as a reliability issue; I wonder how much longer the original battery would've run.


Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by NDL
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Your mechanic should also be able to test for it if you don't know how. Basically you disconnect the battery and put a meter between the terminals when the car is off. If it's beyond a certain amount, then you have a parasitic draw. Also it's not the winter that kills the battery, it's probably the heat. You only notice it in the winter. The curves are crossed, in hot weather, the battery generates more current, in cold weather less. In hot weather, it takes less current to turn over the engine, in cold weather it takes more. So when the heat kills your battery in the summer, you don't notice it til the winter. As others said, I don't think you have a battery problem, it's probably a charging system problem or some parasitic draw. You're not in that hot a climate, otherwise in a hot state, then yeah 3 years is what a lot of people get as it's the heat that bakes a battery not the cold. You could also take the car to get the system load tested before the warranty expires and that will tell you how good the battery is so you can get it changed out before the warranty expires and not wait til it leaves you stranded.


Many many thanks for your reply. I will do as you suggested.



A really, really good post by Wolf ^^^^^^^


Indeed. Wolf's approach is the most logical, and again, thanks Wolf!


****

My vehicle's situation aside, something is going on with car batteries. Not too long ago, batteries commonly came with 36, 48, or 60 month warranties.

Now I am seeing 18 month, 24 month, units? For a buck and a quarter, plus?

Have new environmental regulations changed the way batteries are made?

Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: NDL] #5290509 12/10/19 02:27 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,074
S
SHOZ Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,074
Had a '97 Taurus that the Radio/climate control thing when bad and had a parasitic draw. Hard to find.

Exide has always been a shady company....


2008 Hyundai Accent 1.6L 5 sp manual hatchback
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Track 2L Turbo 6sp manual
Re: "The Battery Thread Of 2019" [Re: sloinker] #5290662 12/10/19 05:25 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,453
N
nthach Offline
Offline
N
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,453
Originally Posted by sloinker
VARTA makes the best and longest lasting battery in my experience.

Varta is JCI/Clarios. Some of JCI's German/Spanish batteries make their way over here.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™