Anybody shop at an Aldi supermarket?

[Linked Image from magaimg.net]

Aldi offers good products at good prices and is a big step above Walmart.
These are also small stores that you can get into and out of quickly.
Their cashiers operate at a speed that would melt the mind of the typical Walmart cashier.
Aldi also offers a nice selection of wine at good prices.
What's not to like?

Reactions: hrv
Went to a new Lidl supermarket https://www.lidl.com/ Looks like they are German chain that started opening stores in the mid-Atlanic recently. SImilar to Aldi but I found it a bit nicer overall such that I would go back just for the bakery alone. Real croissants, cheese rolls, focaccia, chocolate chunk cookies, etc. Lucky it's far enough away so I won't visit TOO often.;)

Fans of Aldi for certain items which is a HUGE switch for us from less than two years ago, great prices, fruit and produce are awesome compared to markets like Publix and Lowe’s. Much better priced too.
Private label products are top shelf most times.
Lidl is good too, right across the street from Aldi and as mentioned great bakery if your into that.
We are loyal to no one and produce ect can vary between stores depending on time of year. We have our favorites depending on stores, Costco and Sam’s Club and Food Lion included, throw in Walmart for only good place with peaches this time of year and Yasso frozen yogurt at almost 50% savings compared to Publix

Last edited:
I was in Kentucky back in April and went into an Aldi's. From the 25 cent cart rental to a small floor plan, it was underwhelming. Supposedly they are popular in Europe as the supermarkets there are smaller than their American counterparts.

Sounds like the kind of place I would shop at if they were out where I am on the west coast. I normally do a 2 cart run once a month at Winco, which is probably a lot like Aldi. A no frills, warehouse style, bag it yourself kind of place. Way cheaper than Costco.

Locally, the fastest growing chain is called Discount Grocery which started out decades ago with a percentage of their wares coming from odd lots of grocery items, often from chains from other parts of the country. Now they are opening stores all over the place in all the closed up old Safeway and defunct local grocery stores. They still have a bit of that odd lot thing and the checkers are kind of like folks who are moving up in the world from their former job at the dollar store, if you know what I mean. Still, when I go in to one, they seem to be doing brisk business and there is usually a big line of customers with full carts

There are a few Aldis in my area and this is my take- Walmart, Sams, Target etc seem to be a family outing..people talking and wanting to spend a good bit of time away from home just looking and getting the full experience.. People are in no rush at all.. there is no mall in my area so its a social event. Nice clothes are worn, perfumes and cologne are abundant. The wives fill the buggy to capacity and everyone goes out to eat after shopping because they are worn out from shopping and dont want to go home and cook.

I went to Aldi yesterday because i only needed 10 items or so. Eggs were 58 cents a dozen and turkey was 68cent per lb. Nobody was talking to each other, just like a military operation...put food in boxes or cart and get checked out at lightening speed.. no frills.

The manager was talking to his co-manager and they were very happy.. he said weve done $68000 today! And they did an imaginary high five.

I dont need a rewards card, or digital coupon, or all the nonsense.. the prices are low and in many cases their brand is just as good or not better than any other.

What are your impressions? I tried one yesterday. What's with the 25 cent shopping cart deposit? Are people not going to steal a cart if it costs them a quarter? Once I got inside and walked around, I got the impression that Aldi is the dollar store of supermarkets. Low priced brands I've never seen before. Merchandise laying on the floor. Makes Walmart supermarkets seem upscale in comparison. Bought just a few things. A $4 frozen pizza that was pretty tasteless, a tub of salsa that was flavorless, 2 boxes of $1.39 cereal bars that were so so, and some black raspberries, ok. I guess you get what you pay for. Anyone else been there?
great store. Never been disappointed in anything there.

They are supposed to be building one in my area . We really have enough grocery stores here . This will be the fifth full size store within a 10 minute driving radius .

They are supposed to be building one in my area . We really have enough grocery stores here . This will be the fifth full size store within a 10 minute driving radius .
Same with shoe stores at a big mall. Out of 100 stores, why do 30 of them have to be shoe stores? For once I like to see an auto parts store at the mall.

I like Aldi. I purchased a 21 pound Butterball turkey on sale there last Wednesday for .87 per pound. I learned my lesson from last year. Turkeys were very hard to find at the last minute. I was in Sam's yesterday and they were all sold out of turkeys. Aldi has a lot of little things I like especially some of the fruits and vegetables as well as milk and eggs. I helps the store is only minutes away. If it were not for some of these small stores the big companies would walk all over my city.

Sounds like the kind of place I would shop at if they were out where I am on the west coast. I normally do a 2 cart run once a month at Winco, which is probably a lot like Aldi. A no frills, warehouse style, bag it yourself kind of place. Way cheaper than Costco.

Locally, the fastest growing chain is called Discount Grocery which started out decades ago with a percentage of their wares coming from odd lots of grocery items, often from chains from other parts of the country. Now they are opening stores all over the place in all the closed up old Safeway and defunct local grocery stores. They still have a bit of that odd lot thing and the checkers are kind of like folks who are moving up in the world from their former job at the dollar store, if you know what I mean. Still, when I go in to one, they seem to be doing brisk business and there is usually a big line of customers with full carts

I've been to Winco. They are a bit different in that they don't accept credit cards. But their model is similar to that of Foods Co (Kroger), Food 4 Less (Kroger), Pak & Save (Safeway), and a regional chain called FoodMaxx (SavevMart).

That place you describe sounds similar to Grocery Outlet. They were previously known as a chain called Canned Foods Grocery Outlet, selling a lot of stuff that was close to the sell by date and various odd lots. This history is interesting too as it started off as a store in San Francisco selling surplus US government surplus food called Canned Sales before eventually coming to agreements with several packaged food companies. They used to have a location in Berkeley that was in a high traffic location, but eventually moved out (there's a 99 Cents Only Store there now, although it was also a Smart & Final) in favor of another location closer to the freeway that also housed the company's headquarters before they outgrew it, and the location was torn down for housing. The current headquarters are in Emeryville.

grocery-outlet-bargain-market.png

Also I haven't checked the previous 4 pages, so did anyone mention that Aldi owns Trader Joe's? I've never actually been to an Aldi's location, but my kid found out about it and wants to look for something the next time we're in Southern California.

Hey, that's the place I ment, y_p_w. Their branding is so superior that I can't even remember the right name after driving by one for years.

Back