2011 Hyundai Sonata -- 3 cylinders dropped!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Saabist
Originally Posted by Trav
The Trionic systems do not use conventional knock sensors but an ion sensing system and cant pull timing that much or that quickly to prevent detonation.

Quite a few people have used regular gas in these cars with no ill effects. Heck, I did it for a while when gas prices shot up in the U.S. for a period of time. Aside from adjusting timing (which is done on the fly for each individual cylinder), the Trionic system also controls turbo boost and fuel injection timing to avoid knock:

https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/5436/tech-corner-saab-trionic-and-ionization-sensing/

For the system to work properly it is crucial to use the correct spark plugs, correctly gapped, as well as the correct OEM ignition cassette. The earlier red T5 cassettes are more expensive than the black T7 units. Therefore some people will use the T7 part in T5 cars. The car will run but knock detection is reduced by about 20%, so not worth the risk.

In any event that's getting off topic - the point is that the technology to avoid knock in turbocharged engines using low octane gas has been around for decades. I'd be very surprised if a 2011 Hyundai was not so equipped. Of course a malfunction in the system might well have left the engine exposed to destructive pre-ignition.

It makes no difference to me what someone runs in their car or not. I don't run cheap swill fuel in any turbo engine period. I have seen to many holes in pistons and piston damage from smart guys and experts in their own minds doing it.

90+% of turbo owners have no mechanical sense that swill fuel (or non top-tier), could shorten the trouble-free lifetime of their engines.
The same 90+% have no clue what SN Plus / Dexos 1 Gen2 oils provides for that turbo either. Have no clue on fuel dilution, carbon and needs for shortened OCIs

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by nicholas
With direct injection and precise engine timing - 87 octane is not a problem for ANY manufacturer, let alone Hyundai.

Meh, not really. The Germans still mostly use 91 except for entry level cars, and even that only started three or four years ago. Guess which manufacturers have pretty much no concerns with LSPI?

If manufacturers had their way, 91 would absolutely be the minimum octane available
------How do you "know" this?

Because I read, and stuff.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20...o-industry-lobbies-for-95-as-new-regular

From that article:

GM, Ford Motor Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, working with the United States Council for Automotive Research, are seeking just one grade of fuel: 95. That would eliminate today's grades, generally 87 octane for regular, 88-90 for midgrade and 91-94 for premium. Even though premium gasoline costs about 50 cents more per gallon than regular, Nicholson says moving to 95 octane would cost consumers far less.

They are talking 95 RON, which is 91 octane.

Great points JR ^^^^^^^

My coworker is selling his 100k mile 2013 Audi A4 because it costs him too much to maintain. He didn't ask me about cars when he bought it a couple years ago. It's been nothing but 91 octane premium fuel since he got it (biggest reason he's selling it) and full synthetic $100 oil changes every 7500 miles all highway. It had around 25k when he bought it.

He is not a car person but he put premium gas in when the manual told him to. Same with the oil changes.

Originally Posted by Trav
[
It makes no difference to me what someone runs in their car or not. I don't run cheap swill fuel in any turbo engine period. I have seen to many holes in pistons and piston damage from smart guys and experts in their own minds doing it.

Whatever floats your boat. Over 350,000 miles with no engine problems (and my experience is not unique) is indication enough for me that regular gas has not hurt this thing.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
90+% of turbo owners have no mechanical sense that swill fuel (or non top-tier), could shorten the trouble-free lifetime of their engines.
The same 90+% have no clue what SN Plus / Dexos 1 Gen2 oils provides for that turbo either. Have no clue on fuel dilution, carbon and needs for shortened OCIs

There is simply nothing to verify your beliefs. Far more vehicles are junked before engine damage does it in with nothing but quick lube oil changes and the cheapest fuel. It is the way it is.

Guys...bottom line is that these vehicles have very serious engineering problems.

The fact that they are inexpensive and have a low resale makes it worse. A single parent or someone struggling financially can generally not handle the added expenses of repair/replacement or deal with the negative equity should they be forced to trade out.

This is a bad situation for everyone and it can't be fixed with oil or gas selection imho

This is NOT meant as a slight to the owners. These types of problems are not limited to inexpensive cars nor is every Kia owner lower income...as I stated above it's a bad situation for everyone

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Guys...bottom line is that these vehicles have very serious engineering problems.

The fact that they are inexpensive and have a low resale makes it worse. A single parent or someone struggling financially can generally not handle the added expenses of repair/replacement or deal with the negative equity should they be forced to trade out.

This is a bad situation for everyone and it can't be fixed with oil or gas selection imho

This is NOT meant as a slight to the owners. These types of problems are not limited to inexpensive cars nor is every Kia owner lower income...as I stated above it's a bad situation for everyone

I honestly think this kind of fear-mongering is unnecessary. There are vastly more Kia/Hyundais with no engine issues than ones that do have engine issues. You probably have a better chance of totaling the car in a accident than having severe engine problems if you keep up on maintenance.

Last edited:
The last time I visited the old Kia dealership I worked for (I still have many friends in several dealerships) they had 2.4's and 2.0T's stacked up everywhere. When I mentioned the carnage and long blocks laying around a couple techs just rolled their eyes. They're getting sick of swinging engines. I started to get sick of it after only a few dozen. (Tongue in cheek a little bit there). I actually made a time lapse video of me building a complete 2.4 GDI in less than 4 hours, top to bottom. Still have the video, no idea how to post it though.

Originally Posted by Whammo
Originally Posted by Doublehaul

I honestly think this kind of fear-mongering is unnecessary. There are vastly more Kia/Hyundais with no engine issues than ones that do have engine issues. You probably have a better chance of totaling the car in a accident than having severe engine problems if you keep up on maintenance.

ðŸ‘
One of the Master Techs (also a buddy of mine) at the Kia dealership I bought my Sportage from agrees.

Pounding the pride of South Korea? Say it isn't so.

My 2011 2.0T has just turned 90K on the clock. I've had it boosted more than the law will allow for the last 23K. Runs like a scalded ape. I keep me foot in the ole gal on a regular basis. Driving as a bat outa 'ell is a religious experience. For the first couple of years I only used 87 albeit E0. Now I blend E0 & up to E10 both being 93 octane. In the past I blended E85 for up to around E30-35.

I use three different weights of oil for a "custom" blend [shudder, gasp yah I know, Oh the humanity!] with diesel oil making up the bulk. Screw the cat. I keep the megadose of zddp at bay by keeping the overboosted turbo and cat at gates of Hades temps. In the summer I use no A\C, no cruise control either for what that's worth, and prop the hood open with an 8" wheelbarrow inner tube, cut in half one piece under each side, with only the emergency latch holding the bonnet steady.

Sayonora approved to 130 mph. What me worry? Surely you jest.

Plus, I'm running underrated 225 /40 R18 92Y XL tyres! It's OK mates I'm still rolling with proper 225/45ZR18 95W XL aft.

And to top it off today I dumped a one dollar bottle, yes the Dollar Tree special methanol injector cleaner, in the just filled tank. At 1-236.8 ratio, ever so roughly, I've little concern of potential fuel line\low\high speed fuel pump damage.

After 3K of flogging the throttle with little regard constantly busting triple digits I might be a quarter quart low on the stick at 30*. At 70* and up the oil is right back at the full mark or somewhere in the 'hood.

How long will she stay together before Dilithium crystals and warp speed take their toll?

Don't know, but I fear gawd and dread naught. Dayum the torpedoes, low speed detonation, flimsy connecting rods and bearings of dubious integrity!
Hammer down, full speed ahead for there is nothing in this world more surprising than the attack without mercy! .

Especially with The Boss belting out, "Baby we were born to run" on the CD...

You need to reserve dates with either the junkyard or shops that overhaul engines. The older Kias and Hyundais are not meant to be driven that way.

I reminisce being exactly like yourself in the 1970s. It's deja vu all over again. Thanks for my five minute visit to Memory Lane.

One of my coworkers that just lost his Nissan versa to CVT failure bought a new Elantra. He was telling me there were engines piled all over the place near the service department.

He knew nothing about the engine recall until I told him about it. Luckily his new Elantra has a different engine not affected by the recall.

Originally Posted by Sayonara_Sonata
Pounding the pride of South Korea? Say it isn't so.

My 2011 2.0T has just turned 90K on the clock. I've had it boosted more than the law will allow for the last 23K. Runs like a scalded ape. I keep me foot in the ole gal on a regular basis. Driving as a bat outa 'ell is a religious experience. For the first couple of years I only used 87 albeit E0. Now I blend E0 & up to E10 both being 93 octane. In the past I blended E85 for up to around E30-35.

I use three different weights of oil for a "custom" blend [shudder, gasp yah I know, Oh the humanity!] with diesel oil making up the bulk. Screw the cat. I keep the megadose of zddp at bay by keeping the overboosted turbo and cat at gates of Hades temps. In the summer I use no A\C, no cruise control either for what that's worth, and prop the hood open with an 8" wheelbarrow inner tube, cut in half one piece under each side, with only the emergency latch holding the bonnet steady.

Sayonora approved to 130 mph. What me worry? Surely you jest.

Plus, I'm running underrated 225 /40 R18 92Y XL tyres! It's OK mates I'm still rolling with proper 225/45ZR18 95W XL aft.

And to top it off today I dumped a one dollar bottle, yes the Dollar Tree special methanol injector cleaner, in the just filled tank. At 1-236.8 ratio, ever so roughly, I've little concern of potential fuel line\low\high speed fuel pump damage.

After 3K of flogging the throttle with little regard constantly busting triple digits I might be a quarter quart low on the stick at 30*. At 70* and up the oil is right back at the full mark or somewhere in the 'hood.

How long will she stay together before Dilithium crystals and warp speed take their toll?

Don't know, but I fear gawd and dread naught. Dayum the torpedoes, low speed detonation, flimsy connecting rods and bearings of dubious integrity!
Hammer down, full speed ahead for there is nothing in this world more surprising than the attack without mercy! .

Especially with The Boss belting out, "Baby we were born to run" on the CD...

Genesis turbo coupe? Those are SWEET cars!!

With direct injection and precise engine timing - 87 octane is not a problem for ANY manufacturer, let alone Hyundai.

Meh, not really. The Germans still mostly use 91 except for entry level cars, and even that only started three or four years ago. Guess which manufacturers have pretty much no concerns with LSPI?

If manufacturers had their way, 91 would absolutely be the minimum octane available
------How do you "know" this?

Because I read, and stuff.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20...o-industry-lobbies-for-95-as-new-regular

From that article:

GM, Ford Motor Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, working with the United States Council for Automotive Research, are seeking just one grade of fuel: 95. That would eliminate today's grades, generally 87 octane for regular, 88-90 for midgrade and 91-94 for premium. Even though premium gasoline costs about 50 cents more per gallon than regular, Nicholson says moving to 95 octane would cost consumers far less.

They are talking 95 RON, which is 91 octane.

This was back in April 2018 - - - - - anything new???????????????????????
We are almost in 2020 now you know...............

My point is that 87 will do zero engine damage for an engine designed to use it - - - Audi's, BMW's, ect.... all recommend 91 octane, they are tuned to use this.
The point that 87 will damage a turbo direct injected engine holds no water, and makes zero sense- - - - even the article someone posted has zero to do with 87 octane damage.

91 will make it easier for manufacturers to hit the mpg targets governments are posting - - thats it thats all.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back