how can one tell 100% that the oil was changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Send a sample to Blackstone. If they used real TGMO 0w-20, there is a lot of moly in it. Also, iron ppm up above 3 ppm would indicate old oil (probably 6 or 10 ppm is normal for old oil).
TBN below 4 indicates old oil. Lots of indicators there.
Or, just put a big sample in a clear jar, take it to the Toyota stealership, and ask them if they think this is 60-mile oil.

One thing we can all do in the future is put a small spot of paint on the side of the oil filter to see if they bothered to change the oil filter later. (sometimes they just wipe it off, making it look "new", so the paint spot on the side is nice to have)

Short of talking to the stealership shop and ask them nicely stating the fact that the oil is short and already dark, there is no way of knowing.

They may want to safe their face by talking the car back and changing it this time.

Or come out with excuses.

Either way, you know if you want to come back to that stealership or not.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Short of talking to the stealership shop and ask them nicely stating the fact that the oil is short and already dark, there is no way of knowing..
False. Reading a few posts above shows solid ways to find out.

When my daughter would take her leased vehicle in for an oil change i would look under the hood and see if the oil cap had been handled and any fresh oil drops around the top or wiped off, it's usually dusty under the hood and you can see if anything has been touched.

Originally Posted by Imp4
A drain and fill while leaving the filter on costs about $15 and 15 minutes of your time.
Maybe worthwhile for the peace mind...

Yes, into a clean pan just in case.

Then check the oil after 60 miles and see if it looks the same as the dealer oil.

Originally Posted by paoester
Send a sample to Blackstone. If they used real TGMO 0w-20, there is a lot of moly in it. Also, iron ppm up above 3 ppm would indicate old oil (probably 6 or 10 ppm is normal for old oil).
TBN below 4 indicates old oil. Lots of indicators there.
Or, just put a big sample in a clear jar, take it to the Toyota stealership, and ask them if they think this is 60-mile oil.

One thing we can all do in the future is put a small spot of paint on the side of the oil filter to see if they bothered to change the oil filter later. (sometimes they just wipe it off, making it look "new", so the paint spot on the side is nice to have)

From a cost and time perspective, this is useless.
$20-$30 for a UOA plus several weeks wait time.
Then another $20 if it turns out to be old oil.

If there is actual cause for concern, drain and fill with new oil. Add a filter change if you must. $20 for the o&f, 20 minutes personal time.

If you absolutely must know if it was changed at the dealership, then a UOA would be worth it, otherwise just change it and move on...

Put some torque paste on the drain plug, filter/filter housing and fill cap: Dykem Torque Paste

Same stuff we use to make sure bolts DON'T move at work... Of course they could crack the plug and cap a bit to break it to make it look like they changed it. And for the cost plus effort of that you can do as you're doing and just change it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhyMe
was over at my sisters house helping her with something . while there i took a look as her vehicle . i checked the oil and it was dark and about 1/2 quart low. i asked her when she got her oil changed last. she said she just got it changed at the toyota dealer a couple of days ago. i looked a the reciept and she has put about 60 miles on it since.

looking at the oil i am suspicious if they changed it or not. two things got me. the color and the 1/2 quart down. i told her my suspicions and she asked how do we prove it? So that is the question. how does one prove that oil was never changed ?

You can be sure it was NOT changed! These shops defraud customers all the time, a VERY common occurrence that is probably an epidemic in the industry.

What you did clearly shows it wasn't changed and I would wager that the filter wasn't either. The nice thing is that you literally just checked it after fresh oil was put in so it should have been very light colored and clean looking. It's more than likely not an oversight, it's not been changed DELIBERATELY to save the business money.

Last edited:
If you check the oil before the service and it's darker, then check again after the service and it's lighter, you can be pretty sure they changed the oil.
If you mark the filter before the service and that mark is gone after the service, you can be pretty sure they changed the filter.
I'm just giving hard/fast ways to determine if the oil & filter service was done.

Other comments...
If the previous service was overdue, the new oil will get dark pretty quickly. You can't really tell how fresh oil is just by the color -- smell is a much better indicator of condition IMO. Please do not confuse this statement with my first statement about oil color. The first one is a simple way to determine the service is completed, the second one is about determining the condition of the oil. The oil can look pretty good (dark amber color) and still be sheared badly, as in my wet clutch motorcycles.
If not a proper oil analysis, at least do a blotter test, they are super easy and you only have to wait overnight for the drop to spread and dissipate.

Originally Posted by littleant
Just wondering. Would the same thing happen if it was a man and not a women???

While many shops will almost always try and rip off women, they tend to be less quick if a man is the customer. Although I am certain that today if they see a younger male come in for service they will often times be almost as quick to cheat them as well since they have less experience. I know these things and worked in the business for over 25 years.

If the oil darkens in 60 miles, there is something wrong. Look at the oil filter, should be OEM and be as shiny as a new filter.

I always change my own oil.

People that take it to a shop for oil changes should at least be opening the hood, & pulling the dipstick, to check the oil level after service work is done.
I have seen many vehicles that have been overfilled well above the full mark on the dipstick, & that isn't a good thing either.

Here's what I haven't seen mentioned. We don't know the service history of the vehicle at hand. I have seen it dozens of times over the years. Vehicles that have been neglected...especially on oil changes can often darken up the new oil in a matter of seconds of it running with the new oil.

I remember changing the oil on a new Harley Davidson edition F150 (2nd year they were out). Truck had 21K miles on it. THIS WAS THE FIRST OIL CHANGE. I told him before we even started that he likely would need it changed again in about a week....and possibly a 2nd time a week later before it cleaned up. I was 100% spot-on.

Originally Posted by cdlamb
I always change my own oil.

People that take it to a shop for oil changes should at least be opening the hood, & pulling the dipstick, to check the oil level after service work is done.
I have seen many vehicles that have been overfilled well above the full mark on the dipstick, & that isn't a good thing either.

I was actually yelled at by one shop owner for trying to discretely check on work that was done.

You either trust they did it or not. If not, all you can do is move on. Going all Perry Mason on the dealership service department is just going to get you denials and at best, offer to top her oil off.

Originally Posted by paoester
Agreeing with those who say move on. Probably not worth it. Next time, mark the oil filter with paint, and maybe buy some UV engine oil dye like https://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Products-TP34000601-Fluorescent-Detection/dp/B000JFHNTM to put in 3/4ths through an oil change interval to check for leaks, and then look for the UV dye to disappear ** if ** they put new oil in at the dealership.

The uv dye will stay in. Some oil is left between oil changes so the new oil will become dyed immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back