MOTUL Specific VW 508.00 Unboxing

Originally Posted by weasley
UV fluorescence disappears very quickly in use so is unlikely to show up in an end-of-service oil sample, even if it was there to start with. If the oil is a genuine, VW-approved 508 00/509 00 oil it should have Zr in it, which isn't routinely tested in UOAs.

I didn't know about the Zirconium marker in VW 508/509 oils. They are serious checking if the owner really did use the correct oil.
I saw a web page that said its about 20 ppm Zr. This is suppose to be harmless & useless (no additive benefit) but this stuff crystallizes doesn't it? And is a solid?
Frankly, maybe they should have required the use of 20 ppm of tungsten (from the useful WS2), which few motor oils use anyway. Ravenol puts it in, but thats great full syn oil they use it in, so VW wouldn't be too upset if any of that was used.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I've also ordered for years from ECS Tuning without issue.

Why the Motul over the Castrol Professional?

The VW. Dealer put unknown bulk oil during first service and wouldn't show me label on tank, I've lost 3 MPG running average and the turbo spool up is sluggish and noisy. Prior the FF felt thin but easy to get high MPG over 40 MPG when lugging around town.

Ill report if this fixes it of not. The Motul is on the low side for a 20, like the Subaru stuff.

I have an update on my VW oil trails and tribulations:

Just got back form having the VW dealer put the MOTUL 508.00/ 509.00 Porsche C20 in.
I asked that I could see it being installed.
The Service writer and I actually put the oil in
smile.gif
They have a special large screw in funnel. Cool.

Then I asked to see the bulk tank they use for oil changes.

Just one grade and spec: VW 502 Castrol Edge 5W40 !

I have no feedback on the MOTUL yet. Got to give it a few weeks.
- Ken

Just curious what the benefit would be to using Motul Specific 508/509 vs. VW 508/509 you can buy at the dealer? Mobil 1 makes the VW branded oil here in the USA. The Motul is $15+ per qt while the VW 508 at the dealer is $8.50. So I am confused on why people will pay double for an oil that meets the same spec?

I really am amazed when someone thinks they can tell anything between changing oil viscosity.

Volvo specifies an RBSO-2AE oil for their VEA engines. These are high-end 0w20 mid-saps oils that were designed hand in hand with the VEA engine. I've had two of these engines now and changed from RBS0-2AE to a VW 504/507 oil to slimline my stocks.

Both engines I have been totally unable to feel any difference between the oils despite going from a 2.9mPAS HTHS oil to a >3.5mPAS HTHS oil.
When I put 5w20 in my daughters previous Kia Picanto (manufacturerss spec) to replace the 5w30 that the Kia dealers use the engine sounded noisier.

Can't say I noticed any difference in performance or economy.

At the next service dealer again used 5w30 and I never bothered using 5w20 in my interim oil changes again.

Just curious what the benefit would be to using Motul Specific 508/509 vs. VW 508/509 you can buy at the dealer? Mobil 1 makes the VW branded oil here in the USA. The Motul is $15+ per qt while the VW 508 at the dealer is $8.50. So I am confused on why people will pay double for an oil that meets the same spec?
Back then the spec was new and the dealer didn't have any. They used the wrong oil the previous change.
I did forgot to check the Audi dealer nearby. My research shows that Castrol was making the 508.
The car burned off a lot of the new Motul in a month - almost a litre. luckily I had a bottle of 1 0w40FS that was going in my generator, so I used that for top up.
Burn off stopped and the car ran spectacular and quiet for a years time until I turned in the lease. Magic.

How did this old thread get revitalised? Why, Jeff why!?

Back then the spec was new and the dealer didn't have any. They used the wrong oil the previous change.
I did forgot to check the Audi dealer nearby. My research shows that Castrol was making the 508.
The car burned off a lot of the new Motul in a month - almost a litre. luckily I had a bottle of 1 0w40FS that was going in my generator, so I used that for top up.
Burn off stopped and the car ran spectacular and quiet for a years time until I turned in the lease. Magic.

How did this old thread get revitalised? Why, Jeff why!?
I posted on this thread for information. Just seems everyone has "opinions" which I respect but no real evidence of this or that. People like to nit pick on BITOG so bad it gets old, but still is a good place to get info. I purchased a new VAG product that requires the 508/509 oil. I was looking to see what oil was available in the USA. Motul was an oil that pops up. It actually carries the approval and states on the bottle that it "resists burn off" yet your car went through a Liter in a month? So either something was wrong with your car, or that oil is complete garbage. Then I found my local VAG dealer sells VW Oil 508/509 which is made by Mobil and can be had for under $8.50 a qt. So I asked what is the difference, and why would someone spend 2x's the money for an oil that met the same spec? No one had a reason. Now from hindsight you would think Motul, that is known to be an Ester based product (generally) might be worth the extra $$ since the VW version might be Group 3+ again, I don't know just looking through hindsight. So that would justify the price, just in the quality of the base stocks used. Yet your car burned through a Liter in a month?? Makes no sense to me.

Additionally, using a 502 oil in a VAG vehicle that requires 508 is a huge no no. Even the Tuner shops like APR, and Unironic recommend the 508 for said vehicles even when tuned. There are different components internally designed specifically for the 508, Oil Pump, oil/air separator, rings, etc. So much so, it is not recommended in the manual, or from the tuner shops.

Its all confusing to me, I usually just use whatever oil is spec'd but I began going down the rabbit hole around 2006 when I was then driving a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR that I tuned to 400bhp and was tracked regularly. On that said vehicle, OEM fill was M1 10w30 and on track with mods, my oil temps would get pretty high, I don't remember exactly due to time passed, but I do remember that I switched oil to Redline 5w30 just to try it out. My thinking was a 30w oil that is on the heavy side, sheer stable and Ester based why not try it. The Evo community thought I was stupid for doing it. Well, on track with an instructor he even noticed my oil temps dropped 10-12C on average in triple digit temps. He asked me, Did you install a larger oil cooler or something? I said, no just switched oil to the Redline. He just told me, KEEP USING IT. So I did. Unfortunately. Redline does not make a 0w20 low SAPS oil, so I didn't know what to use in my new VAG vehicle. So I have just been using the OEM fluid that I mentioned. I do notice oil temps on this car run warmer than my Evo, and just was trying to justify the cost of Motul assuming its Ester based like Redline is. In your reply you said you lost a Liter of Motul a month. So that sounds like a lose to me, not a win. Do we even know Motul 508 is Ester based? Or is it Group 3+ like everything else. I know people are going to say, "if it meets the specs" I get it, but all I am saying is, if you can find an oil that has group 4 or higher base stocks, and you want that in your car vs group 3+ and you are willing to pay more for said oil? Why not? It helped in my Evo's case. That was many years ago though.

So does anyone even really know which 508 oil out there is a true synthetic oil, or are only highly refined group 3 all we get these days? Do we even know if Amsoil 508 is group 3 or not? I am sure someone here will know, I just want to see the proof.

Jeff

Back