Is There a USB of Bluetooth CD Player that Plays Over Car's Sound System?

Toyota seems to sell a USB CD/DVD player for their cars - I think a generic one(Samsung, LG, Pioneer, Lite-On) for a computer can work, as there is a USB device class for optical drives that is present in a USB driver stack(and most intotainment does run a Linux or Unix-based RTOS or Windows Automotive or even Android in higher-end Honda and Pioneer NEX decks).

Originally Posted by nthach
I think a generic one(Samsung, LG, Pioneer, Lite-On) for a computer can work, as there is a USB device class for optical drives that is present in a USB driver stack(and most intotainment does run a Linux or Unix-based RTOS or Windows Automotive or even Android in higher-end Honda and Pioneer NEX decks).
Intrigued by this I attempted to connect my external LG USB CD/DVD drive to the uConnect in my Charger. It powers up, but it doesn't play the content.

Originally Posted by Eddie
We sure do have way to complicate technology don't we. I had a vehicle with a 6 CD player and when loaded gave me many hours of listing pleasure. I guess that was too easy for the modern technos. Ed

CD holds 700Mb or ~80 minutes of music, or about 480 minutes of music in a 6 disk changer. You can get a 128Gb USB 3.1 flash drive for ~$20. 128Gb will hold ~16,000 to 32,000 MP3 files. 16,000 3-minute songs is 48,000 minutes. No need for CD changers when you can plug in one tiny little USB drive and never ever have to think about it again.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MUF-...5928739&sprefix=usb+flash&sr=8-5

Last edited:
Do FLAC, not MP3 if you the route of ripping the music. Load it on the phone and use VLC player to play them.

Unfortunately, the time for CDs has passed.

FLAC is lossless compression, and compared to MP3 results in a larger file. If you are sitting in a quiet living room, for instance, it "may" sound better than the lossy MP3. But for car use, MP3 rips to smaller files and is most likely undetectable from FLAC.

Back