Leaf springs last how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142
If you pull the pack out a spring shop can replace just that one spring very cheaply.

True but every town doesn't have a spring shop. Used springs from Arizona might be a mile away from breaking from the sounds of it. If you like the truck get some aftermarket springs installed and keep it, this is a known part failure apparently.

Poking around, toyotapartsdeal shows about $600 per spring (OEM). Casual google work shows about $200 per on the aftermarket. Rockauto shows options at $167 or $350 per. So I guess the estimate isn't bad.

I do like the truck and I'll get it fixed, but I might just move on afterwards--what else is lurking? It's job in life was to be reliable and now it is not.

Originally Posted by supton
Poking around, toyotapartsdeal shows about $600 per spring (OEM). Casual google work shows about $200 per on the aftermarket. Rockauto shows options at $167 or $350 per. So I guess the estimate isn't bad.

I do like the truck and I'll get it fixed, but I might just move on afterwards--what else is lurking? It's job in life was to be reliable and now it is not.

Huh? Just because the leaf springs broke it's not reliable, or has there been something else going on here?

I'm getting worried that my F350 is going to break a leaf spring one of these days. Everything on the truck is super rusty.

I did break one on my Cherokee. I may or may not have dukes of hazzard'd it over a boulder on an off road trip. Was real fun to drive home.

Originally Posted by Delta

Huh? Just because the leaf springs broke it's not reliable, or has there been something else going on here?

Couple years ago it lost a caliper.

Can't cut it slack just because it's a Toyota. A failure is a failure.

My F150 took one when it was 21 years old. $80, chinese part.

It's not hard, but it's not fun.

I don't know how one can rust proof them when anything tacky would just trap sand between the leaves and make it lapping compound.

Haven't had a chance to research yet, got the diagnosis and had to go to work.

Shop gave an estimate of $890 to do both sides.

Yikes that's a lot. I had a leaf spring replaced and the spring pack re-arced for a lot less at a metalworking shop that did leaf springs. i'd shop around.

Originally Posted by exranger06

A rotted spring shackle is a lot different than a broken spring. Ford trucks from the 80s and 90s are notorious for rotted shackles. It's not that big of a deal. $30 at the local parts store gets you a new shackle and it takes about an hour to replace. My mom had to get the shackles replaced on her 94 Explorer, and my Bronco had its shackles replaced before I bought it.

The rest, including big rusted out holes in the frame, was shot. The point is that anything can corrode and fail in a highly corrosive environment. If not looked after.

Your truck doesn't look rusty enough to be having an issue like that. Seems like a defective part to me. It wouldn't be as surprising if your shocks were half gone, and there was crusty/flaking rot everywhere, but that doesn't look to be the case.

I have helped a friend install leaf springs on a XJ Cherokee in his garage and it was not a fun job, but it can be done at home.

I think even living in the rust belt, it is rare for me to see broken springs on any car/truck that isn't 15 years old. I mean, I do see it, but it's not often.

Found a spring shop; they wanted $850 installed. Must be a fancy spring or something.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
Maybe with the new set I would hit them with fluid film or Amsoil metal protector.

I wonder if that is what took it out? I tried to keep Fluid Film on them. Then again, I tried that on the parking brake too, and it didn't hold up either.

Weird. Usually it's the frame on these Toyota's that go bad, mine looks great. It's everything hanging off it that has gone (or is going) bad.

Found a spring shop; they wanted $850 installed. Must be a fancy spring or something.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
Maybe with the new set I would hit them with fluid film or Amsoil metal protector.

I wonder if that is what took it out? I tried to keep Fluid Film on them. Then again, I tried that on the parking brake too, and it didn't hold up either.

Weird. Usually it's the frame on these Toyota's that go bad, mine looks great. It's everything hanging off it that has gone (or is going) bad.

It's a widespread problem/defect, they break even in non-salt environments. I think the updated ones for the Tacoma have 4 clips instead of the 3. I tried to see if they recalled the Tunda's too, but didn't find anything unfortunately.

Not sure where in NH you are, but Donovan Spring in Londonderry is good, from accounts I have heard.

Spring don't last long on any of our apparatuses. A year or 2 on the trucks and about 2-3 max on ambulances.

Originally Posted by Fifth87
Not sure where in NH you are, but Donovan Spring in Londonderry is good, from accounts I have heard.

I did call them this morning. Vianor is who (rightly) failed me on inspection, and they quoted $890 to do both sides, while Donovan quoted me $850 to do both sides. Installed in both cases.

Donovan is at least closer to where I work, and I might be able to weasel out of having to get a rental (as I'm guessing this will take a few hours) (days?).

Gave in and scheduled it. 2.5 hours or so is what they thought, but planned on it be longer. Wowzer I did not realize car rentals were that expensive--$70 or so for the day.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I don't know how one can rust proof them when anything tacky would just trap sand between the leaves and make it lapping compound.

I'd still prefer rustproofing to keep the stressed leaf surfaces from pitting. I can't imaging trapping enough abrasive to cause thinning of the leafs.

New springs in; looks like some APM units were used. We'll see if they hold up. Or if I trade-out before they give out. Was just under $850 to install, and labor was the smaller line item.

Apparently it was a bit of a job, one side was fine, the other... I think it was a shackle bolt that gave grief? Something about it the bolt was stuck inside of a metal sleeve, and the sleeve was spinning too. Dunno. But it sounds like nothing I wanted to tackle.

Gave in and had them put on my snow's too, that kinda stung my pride. But it was well timed, bit of snow today. Slowing down for a truck, I was braking just fine and the Jeep behind me veered off into the ditch and missed a telephone pole by about 3 feet. So cheapie snow tires are still better than bald all seasons.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back