Valvoline launches "hybrid specific motor oil"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Not one to be left behind...

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...hybrid-specific-motor-oil-300969430.html

Unique engines require specialized product innovation

Hybrid vehicle trends show consistent market growth. A March 2019 Market Research Future report revealed that the global hybrid vehicle market is expected to have a 9 percent compound annual growth rate through 2023.

Hybrid engines share many similarities with traditional engines, but they also have unique challenges that fluids and lubricants must work to address. These include a hybrid engine's constant engine start and stop, which can prevent warm up and peak performance. Low engine operating temperatures can create excess water vapor that dissolves into the oil resulting in sludge, corrosion and motor oil breakdown that can negatively impact fuel economy and engine life.

"Valvoline's pursuit of new solutions to new problems challenges our unique in-house Valvoline Engine Lab to create flexible formulas that are proven to extend engine life," said Fran Lockwood, Valvoline chief technology officer. "Valvoline Hybrid Vehicle Full Synthetic motor oil contains a special blend of additives and superior antioxidants to provide the ultimate protection for hybrid engines."

Capture.PNG

That's one I'll be passing on when AAP or Auto Zone blows it out on closeout. Nothing hybrid in the fleet, and no plans for one.

Originally Posted by wemay
Not one to be left behind...

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...hybrid-specific-motor-oil-300969430.html

Unique engines require specialized product innovation

Hybrid vehicle trends show consistent market growth. A March 2019 Market Research Future report revealed that the global hybrid vehicle market is expected to have a 9 percent compound annual growth rate through 2023.

Hybrid engines share many similarities with traditional engines, but they also have unique challenges that fluids and lubricants must work to address. These include a hybrid engine's constant engine start and stop, which can prevent warm up and peak performance. Low engine operating temperatures can create excess water vapor that dissolves into the oil resulting in sludge, corrosion and motor oil breakdown that can negatively impact fuel economy and engine life.

"Valvoline's pursuit of new solutions to new problems challenges our unique in-house Valvoline Engine Lab to create flexible formulas that are proven to extend engine life," said Fran Lockwood, Valvoline chief technology officer. "Valvoline Hybrid Vehicle Full Synthetic motor oil contains a special blend of additives and superior antioxidants to provide the ultimate protection for hybrid engines."

lol.gif

Another great deal at AutoZone in 2 years when they sell it for $2 a quart because no one buys it full price lol

Originally Posted by demarpaint
That's one I'll be passing on when AAP or Auto Zone blows it out on closeout. Nothing hybrid in the fleet, and no plans for one.

Yep. This won't last more than a year on the shelf.

They didn't learn their lesson with modern engine?

It's like these companies have a set budget for marketing and new products and if they don't spend it on SOMETHING they get in trouble.

Originally Posted by BLND1
They didn't learn their lesson with modern engine?

It's like these companies have a set budget for marketing and new products and if they don't spend it on SOMETHING they get in trouble.

They don't get in trouble, but if you don't spend to the budget, it will be smaller next year.

Hopefully it will have titanium. Titanium is one of the better anti-wear additives when an oil hasn't reached operating temperature yet.

i might try this for my kids hybrid/ i always wondered about the ice engine in these and if they ever really get hot enough to burn off the contaminants in oil. having driven my sons car a few times , the engine seems to only come on 1/4 of the time in city driving, and only for a few minutes at a time

If they sell it for about the same as regular prices that's probably ok, but I'm not paying more than the typical 0w20 price for it.

Do they have lower temperature additives instead? and focus not on the extreme heat condition assuming your hybrid is there to handle the high power stuff?

I don't understand the oil companies marketing strategies of multiple product lines.

Hybrids have been in use for many years now and suddenly we need a hybrid oil? I wonder what is really different?

Originally Posted by PimTac
I don't understand the oil companies marketing strategies of multiple product lines.

Hybrids have been in use for many years now and suddenly we need a hybrid oil? I wonder what is really different?

I agree, quite silly. Just trying to grab more market share.

Penrite in Oz has had a "hybrid" engine oil for over a year now.

ENVIRO+ HYBRlD 0W-16 is optimised for use in PETROL-ELECTRIC vehicles that specify this viscosity grade or SAE 0W-20 engine oils.

While Nulon also has their "hybrid" engine oil

Nulon Full Synthetic 0W-16 Hybrid & Fuel Conserving Engine Oil is designed to meet the specifications of the latest hybrid and fuel conserving vehicles. The 0W-16 super lightweight engine oil viscosity promotes superior levels of fuel economy whilst the advanced additive formulation provides the ultimate level of protection normally associated with higher viscosity engine oils.

For both it's just their angle on 0W-16 oil.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/enviro-hybrid-0w-16-full-syn

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...16-hybrid-and-fuel-conserving-engine-oil

Why brand it a failure before even seeing it? Years ago Dexos was labelled as a licensing grab by GM by a lot of BITOG'rs and now it appears to be the go to recommendation for many engines.

Best to look @ it before condemning it as a marketing only derived product. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back