62 Peterbilt. What goes in this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the specimin.

-

for engine a good #30 wt diesel grade oil,,like Mystik jt-8 mineral,,or Schaeffers #702 #30wt,,,,,,,,,30 wt is ok IF the engine is in good shape,,if not go to 40 wt,,,,,,,,,the tranny use Schaeffers #214 in all,the 80w-140 will be fine,,,,BL

We generally stay away from straight weight engine oils on this board......I think thats what the
mad.gif
means.

I have no idea as to the condition of the engine and the guy selling it does not either. It runs on all 6 cylinders, has good oil pressure, no oil smoke etc. I ran it a good hour and after that hour it had 25 psi Oil pressure @ idle and 60+ at higher rpm's.

IMHO I think the best oil for the engine is Delo 400 15w-40. Delo is a little overpriced here. Rotella-T 15w-40 is much more common and cheaper here and is my 2nd choice.

I'm mainly concerned with the transmissions and rear end. I know back when the truck was new they had SAE90 GL-1 oils.

Today all we see is GL-4 and up. I don't think the transmissions have any soft parts in them so would the GL-4 and up oil be ok?

We used to use 100 weight aviation oil in the old main transmissions on heavy trucks. Why? I have no idea. That was in the 60s.
Regular gear oil was used in the aux transmission and rear ends.

Believe it or not folks...back in the 60's these engines ran on straight 30 or 40 wt . Chevron oil was the one too use.

The main transmission was run on 90wt. the brownie box 90wt. and the rear end or rear ends and power divider were also 90wt.

I would think now, Delo 400 15-40 and 75-90 mineral oil will work fine in all the boxes.

Hey...my first truck was a 59 Pete with a 220 Cummins and a 4X4 with 2 Rearends and the Powerdivider...Loved that ole Girl and put a turbo in it and made a 262....Nice Pete you got there.

We still run a 69 W900 NA 8v71 (don't laugh) two speed 42K rears and a 5 x 4. Delo 100 40wt for the ol 71. The 280 would do fine on Delo 400 15w40. We just sold an old w900 with a 250 cummins that had 271K miles on 15w40, no problems (I love the valve release lever on the dash
smile.gif
)

I recently started using SAE 50 syn (factory fill on the Eaton 18spds we are buying a lot of now) in the main and brownie and it is working well. On the rears I'm using 75/80-140 syn. I'm using that only because all the new Eaton diffs we run uses that oil and it makes my call to the Chevron distributor easier!

Very nice truck. I'm looking to buy a early 70's W900 for a project truck, similar to the truck I learned on, however I want airride and that was rare back then. I really want a 71 too, but would be better served with a CAT or Cummins. I suppose I'm being too picky in trying to find a 30 year old truck.

Patrick
cheers.gif

I may poke fun at that old truck, but there is nothing like the sound of a 71. We had a twin turbo 12v71 in a W900, I loved driving that with a heavy load and listen to those turbo's beat on the blower
grin.gif

Those mechanical engines were great, now one blink in the wire and you're shut off! I'm not totally against electronic engines, but those old ones all had a personality of their own and we have forever lost that. These new engines all sound and drive pretty much a like, IMO.

Patrick
cheers.gif

Jimmies are good engines but underpowered when compared to their counterparts of the day.

8v71 was 318 hp with 65 injectors. This engine was rated 340 hp with 70 injectors but the motor didn't live long.
The v12 is a different beast. 430 hp with 60 injectors. 465 with 65 injectors. 525 hp plus when turboed. Lots of lugging power compared to the v8.

Cummins 335 would run circles around the poor ol v8 jimmie.

I like a nice, QUIET, truck engine. Too bad there isn't any ... LOL.

We got good service out of our Detroit’s. The 12v71 had about 275,000 when I stopped driving it. The 8v ran great for about 210,000 then a newbie started driving and locked it up. Slam your hand in the door and take it out on the truck the rest of the day is the only way to get one to live. Lugging a two stroke will kill it quick.

318 hp - 2ft/lb of torque. The Cummins may have had more power, but didn't sound nearly as cool. I want a quite cab, loud everything else.

There are a few criteria that something must meet before I'll get interested. It should be old (old stuff usually worked), it should be loud and smoke a lot. As an added bonus something on it should be able to kill ya if you’re not careful.
grin.gif

The old 8.2 Detroit should fit your bill; it was quite since it never ran long enough to make much
noise
grin.gif
twak.gif

Patrick

1040 WreckerMan, "Slam your hand in the door and take it out on the truck the rest of the day is the only way to get one to live," I hear ya there. I am run a 8v-71 a few days a week. It's not my truck so I don't know what is being ran in the rear end(s), the main, and ect. I know for sure though that we are running Chevron Delo 400 15W-40. I am not sure why my uncle doesnt get some 30 or 40. I uses some oil. But nothing that wasn't expected. I have to go. I have some sand to hual.

JR

JR - I'm sure it uses some oil, if there ins't any oil on it or under it there isn't any oil in it! There are much better engine around these days, but there still isn't anything quite like a 2 Stroke Detroit. That 12v was a kick to drive, a buzzin dozen
128.gif

Delo 400 is good, but I would switch to some Delo 100 40wt in that 8v myself. The Series 71 was probably the best of the 2 stroke engines, easy to work one and great service life if treated properly.

I have ran a buzzin dozen a hand full of times. Noth can explain the feeling. Our truck runs very good. It is comin up for an oil service soon. With in the week if I do any work with it. I have finished my last gallon of the delo 400 yesterday. So I have about three days work before it'll be at the add line again. At that time I am gonna dump the lube oil and filters. I plan to say enough with the uncles addiction to the 400 series 15W-40 and go with a 40 wt. Will probably be delo 100. I hope it slows the oil usage alittle.

When the military runs their Detroit Diesel 2 strokes in combat they use synthetic 5w40 CF-2 grade oil for temperatures from -30 degrees F to 120 degrees F. But for commercial use the military uses a straight 40 weight petroleum oil for the diesel 2 strokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back