First Day of Summer in New Zealand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is excellent!
lol.gif

Cancelled plans for today, looking after the GD, and waiting for the front that is causing havoc over the whole country to get here. It was supposed to get here late this morning, but it just hit at 4.00pm - thunder and lightning, slow moving and a big dump. It might be over pretty quickly.

Lots of tourists come to NZ for summer, but even though it is officially summer, hot dry weather is still 6 weeks away. You can't tell them to plan for later - surely if it's summer, you'll have summer weather ?

So New Zealand is the place to sunbathe in the latter parts of January.....OK

Other than basking in sun & warmth, what draws-in the tourists there? What's there to see and visit?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
So New Zealand is the place to sunbathe in the latter parts of January.....OK

Other than basking in sun & warmth, what draws-in the tourists there? What's there to see and visit?

I'm not from NZ, but there is some stunning scenery.

Never been, but Lots of the Lord of the Rings was shot there Lotsa primeval scenery. South Is resembles VT North Is is warmer. Pre- Maori, birds were the top predators.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
What's there to see and visit?

Roads that go up and down with lots and lots of corners. Motorcycle heaven - that's why I was born here.

Why does Summer start in early December in the S. Hemisphere, while Winter doesn't start until 12/21 in the N. Hemisphere?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Touring5
Why does Summer start in early December in the S. Hemisphere, while Winter doesn't start until 12/21 in the N. Hemisphere?

I think our seasons are better defined...December through February is the belting part...fire season used to be "February Dragon"...when the place had baked...not this year.

Actually, most parts of Oz could be described as having 6-7 seasons.

New Zealand sits in the Southern Ocean, the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean....it's long, but not very wide. We get weather direct from Australia, sweeping up from the Southern Ocean, and cyclones coming down from the Coral Sea. The weather doesn't even know we are here, it just barrels through without stopping. The Southern Alps have an influence, but generally our landmass isn't enough to change weather patterns around us.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
How long is a flight from USA to NZ?

Depends, are we gonna be using the "tic tac" airplane a few threads down?

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
How long is a flight from USA to NZ?

Depends, are we gonna be using the "tic tac" airplane a few threads down?

I wish !!!
50.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back