help me - 65" HDTV which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize, I did miss a few additional details...

The TV sound will never be on...and there will only be one HDMI cable plugged into it. I route everything through a high end Yamaha receiver.
The TV will be on a stand...not hung on the wall.
Room is not terribly wide...the person with the worst viewing angle is probably less than 30 degrees.

I have heard good things about the Sony's...and am also looking at the lower end OLED's. Still leaning heavily toward this Samsung. I do have a 40" Samsung in the upstairs living room, which I have been very impressed with, which is also influencing this decision.

I have now learned all OLED panels are made by LG. The two worst TV's I have ever owned were both LG's. My favorite two TV's have been Toshiba and now my smaller Samsung. The picture is getting clearer (pun totally intended).

Many Samsung's have a board that burns out (repairable) across At least 5 years but otherwise look nice.

Many LGs are very reliable, but like Visio it's hit or miss by model (mostly hit)

I was surprised by the 70" Visios priced at $549 (and they rated well) My folks have a 3 going on 4 year old Visio that still works great but you gotta really mess with the color balance on a lot of newer TVs (especially LED)

Expect a LOT of TV clearances as we get closer to next year (see brickseek)

ATSC 3 is coming which will make all TVs with a current tuner obsolete and clearance bait.

Originally Posted by Malo83
Just saying.

Failure to use a stud finder, I've seen improperly mounted ceiling fans do that as well for what it's worth

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

ATSC 3 is coming which will make all TVs with a current tuner obsolete and clearance bait.

I am not an electrical or computer engineer...but would that not be very similar to the transition that was made from analogue to digital over the air transmission? Many folks had HD TV's and had to buy an external tuner to gain access to the new digital free content available over the air. Again, I don't know much, but just what I was able to quickly browse it looks like ATSC 3 will just bring the over the air content up to the level many TV's are already capable of. I would think it would just take an external tuner with this new capability and an HDMI cable to your TV.

Any more expertise on this?

Many Samsung's have a board that burns out (repairable) across At least 5 years but otherwise look nice.

Many LGs are very reliable, but like Visio it's hit or miss by model (mostly hit)

I was surprised by the 70" Visios priced at $549 (and they rated well) My folks have a 3 going on 4 year old Visio that still works great but you gotta really mess with the color balance on a lot of newer TVs (especially LED)

Expect a LOT of TV clearances as we get closer to next year (see brickseek)

The board is probably a good 30% of the price of a new unit.....I'm guessing.

Originally Posted by DriveHard

I am not an electrical or computer engineer...but would that not be very similar to the transition that was made from analogue to digital over the air transmission? Many folks had HD TV's and had to buy an external tuner to gain access to the new digital free content available over the air.

I would think it would just take an external tuner with this new capability and an HDMI cable to your TV.

Any more expertise on this?

Yes but ATSC 3 is "voluntary " and not subsidized

The first HDs "tuners" we're very expensive

I expect the same here and actually the couple folks that bought the ATSC 3 tuners pre-launch have paid around a grand, it's similar to the cost of the proprietary components required if you actually want to drive an 8k set at label resolution.

My main point is not to buy an ATSC 3 set
but that TV prices will drop a lot the instant a next gen set is offered retail, meaning in as little as 6 months you might see mega clearance on current high end $5000 sets, I would expect up to 80% off.

But who knows maybe ATSC 3 will never release

ok, I pulled the trigger...I will give an update when it gets here later this month. I appreciate the help.

Which one did you pull the trigger on?

ok, I pulled the trigger...I will give an update when it gets here later this month. I appreciate the help.

Did you pull the trigger on a TV screen inside the store that shows a blurred TV show, while standing off to the side at 12 feet away?

I would never buy a new TV that only shows a nice, clear, crisp picture standing directly in front of it.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Did you pull the trigger on a TV screen inside the store that shows a blurred TV show, while standing off to the side at 12 feet away?

I would never buy a new TV that only shows a nice, clear, crisp picture standing directly in front of it.

You have an IPS or OLED TV?

Originally Posted by volk06

Which one did you pull the trigger on?

The Samsung in my original post.

I suggest you read up on the reviews (professional) this TV is a steal now, bought one in Dec 2018 when it was the "new" model, now at a discount, think the 950 replaced it and selling at the same price as the Samsung you mention..
The newer model is the 950 I think, but doesnt matter, fantastic set. The images/black level/dynamic range is so good, at first, the images will look 3d ish to you, then you will get used to it.
Local dimming is the key to a TV with TRUE HDR, never mind the fantastic 4k upscaling.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR65X9...Y2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last edited:
Well... since I traded my TV and fish tank for a very nice riding mower, I had to go buy a new TV. Ended up getting a Samsung RU7300, a curved 55". Kind of gimmicky, but it looks cool, and the picture quality is pretty good!

How will the picture quality on the new OLED sets that are coming out, compare to Plasma?

My current TV is a Panasonic TC-P50ST50 that I bought on Cyber Monday in 2012, and the picture quality is still awesome. It does have some minor burn-in/ghosting along the bottom of the screen from watching so much cable news with the ticker and station logo constantly going across the bottom of the screen. But it's not noticeable unless you know it's there and you're looking for it.

I specifically sought out a plasma at that time, because you just couldn't beat the picture. But I'm sure LED technology has come a long way in the last 7 years.

+5 on the TCL. I would not buy a more expensive TV again. People worry about reliability and they spend 1800 dollars on a Samsung when they could have bought 4 or 5 TCL's for that money. Besides that new technology will be out so soon that you might want a newer TV again soon. Now OLED is different. That picture is amazing. But IMO spending more is not worth it unless it is OLED.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
How will the picture quality on the new OLED sets that are coming out, compare to Plasma?

My current TV is a Panasonic TC-P50ST50 that I bought on Cyber Monday in 2012, and the picture quality is still awesome. It does have some minor burn-in/ghosting along the bottom of the screen from watching so much cable news with the ticker and station logo constantly going across the bottom of the screen. But it's not noticeable unless you know it's there and you're looking for it.

I specifically sought out a plasma at that time, because you just couldn't beat the picture. But I'm sure LED technology has come a long way in the last 7 years.

I prefer to avoid OLED from LG, not as stable as LED and honestly, would be hard to tell the difference from a Sony x900f or the newer X950 class of HDR TVs with local dimming. The picture is staggering compared to less expensive sets, but this is for the critical TV viewer.
Dont get me wrong, the LG OLED has an edge over every other brand on. the market in picture quality but there is that tiny downside that I feel I rather have a more stable LED at almost no loss in picture perfection with the Sonys I mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:
I've got a Vizio 55-inch that's been trouble free for the last 8 years and from what I've read I'd definitely get the TCL if I was updating today ðŸ‘...Ž

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
I've got a Vizio 55-inch that's been trouble free for the last 8 years and from what I've read I'd definitely get the TCL if I was updating today ðŸ‘...Ž

Yes, for picture quality in the low price tiers TCL. There are a couple models now in different price ranges, as with any TV brand know which model if you are basing your purchase on a "Lab Review".
I higher priced model number of the TCL did very well against sets costing much more money in picture quality. I have not researched if there is any "catch" regarding reliability ect.
Also like any brand, some brands supply cheap remotes ect (not saying TCL does) at one time, some brands (Vizio, not sure if they still do) were even selling TVs without the TV tuners. Things to watch for, if they matter to you.

AS far as what operating "system" the TV comes with doesnt matter to me, I never connect my TVs to the internet/wifi except to check for firmware updates, I then disconnect it.
Just one less company collecting data on me.
I use Roku players on all my TVs, with them, I get the latest processors and such without the manufacturer of the TV forcing their format on me. Not only that, its cheap as heck years down the road to update the "tuner" (Roku player) with newer faster processor by simply buying a new one and plugging it into the back of the TV.
We do use the built in Roku player on a small Kitchen TV as it saves space on the counter where room is limited and no place to hide wires ect.

Last edited:
I have bought a ton of Samsungs from Costco; love 'em.
Our current one, maybe 3 years old, started ghosting. White circle ghosts. Disappointing on a high end TV.
We looked at Sony, LG and of course Samsung.
Sony gets its screens from LG; they are similiar.

Ended up getting an LG 65C9, which surprised me as I have enjoyed the Samsungs for quite awhile.
Bottom line: There are a lotta great tvs out there. You do not have to go with the top brands to get a great picture.
You can save some cash and not give up a fantastic picture.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back