Project Farm tests car batteries

Very interesting. Thank you for posting. I have used both Walmart and Costco's battery in my cars and they never failed me so far even in -30c; but this is not because I had any amazing insights or data, but because I am cheap :)

every exide I've owned leaked.. and grew fuzz.

also I'm not sure that using a capacitive batttery tester in that way is in any way real life results.

Last edited:
how does exide stay in business? I've always wondered.. always the last of any test I've seen. just odd.
21.gif

the different performance of those 3 jci #27 is likely down to freshness.
age and whether they had any charge maintainence has a big impact on performance.
and walmart likely sells more than anyone else so freshest stock.

Originally Posted by researcher
how does exide stay in business? I've always wondered.. always the last of any test I've seen. just odd.
21.gif

Exide used to be the OE supplier for BMW and MB when I was at tahe dealers, I guess theyve really slipped or the corporate mentality has won.

I love PF's channel & testing.
NOW, do I agree with everything or every way that he performs his tests? NO!

And if I had the facility & tools/equipment that he has I may do things differently but, that remains to be seen.

I am curious however, what type of results PF would have gotten if e.g., he were to purchase 6 EverStart MAXX or 6 AutoCraft GOLD in the same GROUP size(i.e., 35 or 24F etc.)?

6 of the same exact batteries from the same store shelf and test them the same exact way as in this video. I'll bet the results would be somewhat similar. But, this too remains to be seen!

Just for fun,

CB

Originally Posted by researcher
21.gif

I would assume their distribution network has easier credit for all the shifty garages. They know they aren't the best but make up for it by being easy.

No. Exide has that battery made for them...probably by Varta which is a huge well known European battery producer. There products are generally excellent.

I was doing some maintenance and removed the battery cover in my Taurus. I had forgotten the battery is an Ever Start Maxx from Walmart. It will be four years this coming April. It has a Feb 2017 sticker and was made In the US and purchased up here in Canada. So far, so good.

974BCBC1-A15E-4994-9B45-234C9E88A506.jpeg1365762C-E12F-411A-B2BB-E4A30FB94BBB.jpeg

I do maintenance on my batteries by:
Trying always to buy batteries with removal caps
Keeping the acid level up
Removing all battery post corrosion & keeping sulfate on to a minimum
Applying dielectric lube to the posts & clamps
Keeping on a maintainer/TENDER often

I do maintenance on my batteries by:
Trying always to buy batteries with removal caps
Keeping the acid level up
Removing all battery post corrosion & keeping sulfate on to a minimum
Applying dielectric lube to the posts & clamps
Keeping on a maintainer/TENDER often
As I understand it, batteries that are considered maintenance free and have non-removeable cell cap are made using a slightly different lead alloy and would never need water even if you could get the cell caps off.

Back