Hyundai engine failures getting news again

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Same story, just more recent take on it (the casting debris failures):
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hyundai-kia-engine-failure-recalls-1.5382373

Interesting twist, is that the guy that wasn't told about the recall initially and opted to have his engine replaced with a used one by an indy mechanic for $7K vs $10K at the dealer, was then denied replacement under the recall because he ran 20,000Km (12,000 mile) OCI's once outside of warranty. They didn't provide any details on that and whether this was part of some oil company's OCI schedule (Mobil, Amsoil...etc). They also denied replacement because the 2nd engine wasn't installed at the dealer.

Maybe forsake the 12,000 mile drain interval, chief.
just my guess. (never went further than 5,500) guess I now know what awaits me when I try that. : ( )
(It's actually a 12,427 mile OCI. What's going on up there?????????)extra info

Last edited:
Originally Posted by vw7674
Maybe forsake the 12,000 mile drain interval, chief.
just my guess. (never went further than 5,500) guess I now know what awaits me when I try that. : ( )
(It's actually a 12,427 mile OCI. What's going on up there?????????)extra info

Not getting the "chief" reference in this context, given that obviously this isn't my vehicle
21.gif

Regardless, it seems like a very specific figure, the 20,000Km, and quite a bit shorter than some of the intervals that are "warrantied" by the oil companies once your engine is outside of the factory warranty, a theme he seemed to follow. Yet there's no mention of him having an oil company involved? Anyways, it's interesting that it would seem that the typically justified as "safe" practice of deviating from the OEM intervals and perhaps lubricant selection, can indeed be an issue when dealing with something like a recall, which seems utterly asinine.

It also sounds like if he had the original engine replaced for $10K at the Hyundai dealer he'd likely not have gotten reimbursed because of his 12K mile OCI's outside of warranty, so he was going to be paying no matter how this played out.

just having fun, i.e.the 'chief' reference, the operator is in charge of the OCI of his own vehicle, & it being eight years old, I doubt there is any free engine coming
his way, 10,000 mile change interval or 12,000 mile interval, if you value your vehicle you won't be pushing that hard, + installing a good used engine & exposing to
the exact same abuse seems........abusive. Maybe he should seek a claim from the lubricant manufacturer that recommended he run 12,427 miles per change?

Originally Posted by Danno
Interesting that Hyundai requires a 6,000 km (3750 mile) oci for warranty coverage. Had a 2013 Sonata 2.4L. One of the best cars I've owned.

That requirement is no more than a warranty avoider.

Interesting that Hyundai requires a 6,000 km (3750 mile) oci for warranty coverage. Had a 2013 Sonata 2.4L. One of the best cars I've owned.

That's for severe service. Otherwise its 7500 miles.

Last edited:
This topic has been beaten to death.

We know how it goes on BITOG-the vocal Hyundai haters. I would have you look at my previous post-but it looks like the whole thread was deleted when I called a couple people out.

18.gif

Originally Posted by CKN
This topic has been beaten to death.

We know how it goes on BITOG-the vocal Hyundai haters. I would have you look at my previous post-but it looks like the whole thread was deleted when I called a couple people out.

18.gif

It's a legitimate discussion and issue, it doesn't matter if it's been brought up more than once, when such threads are deleted it looks like Hyundai/Kia are "persuading" forums like this to delete those topics and that comes off as looking really bad, like they are trying to hide something.

Originally Posted by spasm3

Which is the requirement for Canada. When you buy the car, there is a Canada supplement in the owner's manual.
If you don't like the oci requirements, don't buy the car. Rather simple imo.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

That requirement is no more than a warranty avoider.

Its simple imo. If the buyer doesn't like the oci requirements, don't buy the car. There are other choices in the market.

Seems unfortunate. IMO the gentlemen in the story would have to prove that Hyundai notified the dealership of the pending recall prior to the initial incident of engine failure.

This story is why I'll never understand the extended oci crowd. Some people have good luck with the long intervals, or is it just luck after all? Oil is so cheap,keeping it changed and clean is more important than the brand imo.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
This story is why I'll never understand the extended oci crowd. Some people have good luck with the long intervals, or is it just luck after all? Oil is so cheap,keeping it changed and clean is more important than the brand imo.
+1 It sure makes a good case for not extending OCI's, even after the warranty it up. Even if TBN shows it safe, and wasteful to some for dropping "good oil" early.
27.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

There's no luck. The engine is or isn't designed for it. I don't understand why anyone who buys a new car today is worried if the engine will last 300k miles today when the rest of the vehicle will have given up the ghost.

Originally Posted by spasm3

Which is the requirement for Canada. When you buy the car, there is a Canada supplement in the owner's manual.
If you don't like the oci requirements, don't buy the car. Rather simple imo.

Thanks, I didn't know that about Canada.

Originally Posted by Trav
Oil is Cheap and engines are expensive, changing the oil is a no brainer IMO. 3-5K for me.

I think more important than ever with DI.

I've gone 7500 in the elantra per the manual as there were no short trips.

But on the DI Mazda, i'm doing 5k summer and for winter 2-3k due to UOA shown fuel dilution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back