Looking for a used car under 10K

Status
Not open for further replies.
After my sister totaled out the Fusion about a month ago we have been looking for a replacement car. We are looking to stay under 10K because that is what she can afford. Other then that, the other requirements are to be a known reliable car and same class of car that she was driving. That leads me to another Fusion, sonata, Malibu Ect. I really am partial to getting another Fusion and have found a couple that fit the bill. But, they were sold in a few days because they were that nice for the money.

Honda's and Toyota's do not seem to exist under 10K unless they have 150,000 miles or more.

We are not interested in anything smaller in size because of safety reasons and not really anything bigger because she is not comfortable.

Any other suggestions?

Mazda 6 or Fusion with the 2.5 engine which seems to be quite durable. Forget the Sonata since the engines like to grenade.

Keep looking for that Fusion, Milan, or whatever the Lincoln is. They're nice, as you know, and you already know the car so you'll know when something isn't quite up with a prospect.

I spotted a very nice fusion. You could eat off this car. She makes it to the dealer a few days later and car is already sold. Of course the sales man turns her to a Buick Verano that is more money and I am just not sure how I feel about those cars. For some reason I'm just not interested in the Buick at all

Originally Posted by eljefino
Keep looking for that Fusion, Milan, or whatever the Lincoln is. They're nice, as you know, and you already know the car so you'll know when something isn't quite up with a prospect.

I agree. You all already know your way around the Fusion well. As a matter of fact, I know of person who just sold a 2010 Milan (I think last year for Mercury), with like 65k miles for $4500. It was the premier trim. His grandmother bought it new, but can't drive any longer, so they sold it. Hopefully, you can find a deal like that, good luck!

Remembering the other Fusion thread, hopefully this car be in her name on her insurance? How did it work out for your parents?

Until she calms down I'd be looking hard at the safety ratings of whatever you're looking at.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Remembering the other Fusion thread, hopefully this car be in her name on her insurance? How did it work out for your parents?

Until she calms down I'd be looking hard at the safety ratings of whatever you're looking at.

Supposed to her car and her insurance.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Camry, Accord or Mazda6

+1 to Camry or even Corolla if you don't think it is too small. We are on our second Corolla. First one got over 250k problem-free. Extremely reliable and mileage almost as good as a hybrid. And, they can certainly be found for well under 10k. Good luck!

If you want a Fusion then the main issue seems to be jumping on one when you find it. Good deals (on anything) don't tend to stick around long.

No Malibu! No GM at all used, IMO they become money pits after a few years. A Corolla is a solid yet boring pedestrian choice. IE beats walking.
wink.gif

Then again the way you wrote that she totalled it out, if she is an accident risk then it's probably worth a few bucks more for more metal around her with a Camry, or even an Avalon... she can get used to a larger vehicle, it's not as though it is a tank, but owners of those tend to be conservative and take good care of them so something a little older with low miles can be a great value and better crash protection.

Last edited:
Scour the credit union repo pages near you. Some great deals to be found. I'd probably buy a Mazda or try and find a high mile Golf MK7 for that budget.

My sister is driving a Fusion that I found for her, and I think we'd do it all over again, if given the choice,. It is a SE package with the 2.5 liter engine.

No real complaints.

2011 or under Ford Focus seem to hold up well if you can't find a Fusion to fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back