E-core super tech vs Fram orange can 10k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by N Heat
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Originally Posted by N Heat
Maybe Ive never paid attention, but since when have ST filters had mileage ratings? I know some of the higher end filters have always been designed for extended drains, but Id never thought an ST to be a candidate for a 10k OCI. Im an ST fan...been using them for years. Someone edumucate me.

It's marked right on the front of the box

Oh Ok. I guess I just never paid attention to the box much except for finding the part no. I immediately open the box to make sure the right filter is in there. What happens to filter design to make it go from just another filter to suitable for 10k?

When Supertech switched from Wix made to Champ made, the 10,000 mile rating showed up.
Champ has apparently tested their filters and designed them to last for 10,000 miles.
Same for Fram, even their "cheap" filter now carries a 10,000 mile life. No idea what (if anything) has changed for that, but am sure Fram has does the research and can back the claim.

Fram changed the anti drain back valve to silicone. No changes to the media as per Fram.

E cores have always been 10k

In my case and the case of this question my filter mounts threads up so the adbv is of no concern. Does this change anyone's opinion?

The thing is, all oil filters need to be able the manufacturer's OLM, which can be as high as 10,000 miles. That's the reason for the change. Problem is, we all know what winter short trips do to oil, and filters, and what can happen (water saturation of the oil, bent/torn pleats).

10k on these under $5 is a joke . I think 99% of us here have no ball taken these filter to 10k miles . 6 month or 5k that it

I seen a better construction filter that company rate at 5000 miles.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
10k on these under $5 is a joke . I think 99% of us here have no ball taken these filter to 10k miles . 6 month or 5k that it

I seen a better construction filter that company rate at 5000 miles.

Stop spreading misinformation sir. I've cut open more under $5 filters that went beyond 10k and looked fine.

From what I found out recently, the ST seems to be Champs XL filter without the silicone ADBV. Take for example the 10358 cartridge filter; if you search on their site the xl version is identical to the ST10358 filter. So would I trust supertech for 10k? Why not. But like others have said, if you prefer silicone go with Fram, price isn't really a factor here seeing it's a .91 cent difference. Plenty of people run the ST for the life of their vehicles with great success. Just my two cents

Does anyone think there are high grade nitrile elastomers in industry ? (yes, hundreds).
And cheap stuff too ? Sure.
Does anyone think the same things about silicone …? Or most anything else you buy.

Not a single one of my AC Delco ADBV's fail to hold and honestly look better made than the many Frams silicone ADBV's I have pulled from cut opens.
BUT I'm not worried about either for 7k.
Personally, I'd come up a notch to XG or something else for longer runs … but everyone has a comfort zone on these things

There is also a lot of cars that don't use the adbv due to filter orientation... ....
I wouldn't say a lot, ime and in my obeservation they are relatively uncommon exceptions. Most canister/spin on OFs have an adbv regardless of orientation. Cartridge filters are a separate category so none of that applicable.

And most ST spin on ecores use nitrile combo valves, as opposed to separate bypass and adbv found on most filters including the orange can. For that reason alone, if forced to chose for 10k mi., the orange can would be the choice. As noted though, as standard practice, neither for that fci.

Just because a filter has a adbv doesn't mean it's used by the vehicle. The 3614 for example is threads up on a Tacoma...buts also used by Harley Davidson motor cycles, small 4 stoke riding mower engines etc where it's mounted horizontally.

It has the adbv even though the Toyota doesn't use or need it

Last edited:
Just because a filter has a adbv doesn't mean it's used by the vehicle. The 3614 for example is threads up on a Tacoma...buts also used by Harley Davidson motor cycles, small 4 stoke riding mower engines etc where it's mounted horizontally.

Has the adbv even though the Toyota doesn't use or need it
So you're a Toyota engineer and know the adbv on the Tacoma OF isn't required? I'll bet if you check the Toyota Denso OEM OF equivalent of the 3614 it uses an adbv, and thus Toyota specs one for that vehicle. Orientation is not the singular determining factor in whether a filter specs/uses an adbv. As another example, many Honda have thread end up OF orientation, but all spec an adbv including the OEM. Having owned a Tacoma specing the 3614 application filter, I know the Toyota Denso equivalent has and used an adbv.

As noted, spin on OF with no adbv are uncommon exceptions compared to majority spin on filters.

A lubrication system is not a balanced U tube like a plumbing trap. Many have a longer side where there is more hydrostatic pressure when the engine is off. The valve keeps that side full when it is holding.

Hydrostatic pressure is not effected by geometry … it's vertical height and fluid density.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

So you're a Toyota engineer and know the adbv on the Tacoma OF isn't required? I'll bet if you check the Toyota Denso OEM OF equivalent of the 3614 it uses an adbv, and thus Toyota specs one for that vehicle. Orientation is not the singular determining factor in whether a filter specs/uses an adbv. As another example, many Honda have thread end up OF orientation, but all spec an adbv including the OEM. Having owned a Tacoma specing the 3614 application filter, I know the Denso equivalent has and used an adbv.

As noted spin on filters with no adbv are uncommon exceptions compared to the majority of spin on filters.

Of course...because the Tacoma is not the only Toyota that uses this filter. Heck it's used on more than just Toyota vehicles! In the case of the Tacoma though it's not needed.

It makes more sense to build them all with it than create a new part number and build a special filter

…..Of course...because the Tacoma is not the only Toyota that uses this filter. Heck it's used on more than just Toyota vehicles! In the case of the Tacoma though it's not needed.

It makes more sense to build them all with it than create a new part number and build a special filter
The topic of adbv being required regardless of orientation has been discussed often here. Based on those, I'll agree to disagree with your assumptions.

Putting it back on topic, most of the Super Tech spin on ecores use nitrile combo valves, thus would not be my choice for a 10k fci.

Originally Posted by 4WD
A lubrication system is not a balanced U tube like a plumbing trap. Many have a longer side where there is more hydrostatic pressure when the engine is off. The valve keeps that side full when it is holding.

Hydrostatic pressure is not effected by geometry … it's vertical height and fluid density.

Wouldn't the system drain to that point if the filter was removed then? When you pull the filter off a Tacoma or several of the older GMs I've had you get only a couple oz of oil beyond what's in the filter?

Originally Posted by Sayjac

So you're a Toyota engineer and know the adbv on the Tacoma OF isn't required?

So your a Toyota engineer? Or are you just being a jerk-off?

Name calling, very impressive. You seem an authority on the term though. And it's you're, not your.
55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back