2011 Hyundai Sonata -- 3 cylinders dropped!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neighbors 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0L Turbo just came back from the garage. Last week my neighbor started the car in the morning -- multiple stalls and when it did start -- barely idled if you wanna call it that. Car flat bedded to garage. Brought the car home yesterday -- flat bed again. Said they did a compression test and 3 cylinders barely have any compression. Told it needs a new motor. Car presently has 147,xxx miles on odometer.

This is a very common issue. I am floored it made it to 140K miles before needing a new engine. Most fail sooner.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I always wonder about those tiny turbocharged engines and how durable they are.

manufacturing defect.

Hyundai did extend the warranty to 10/120k but at nearly 150k he might be SOL.

RIP...2011 Sonata ...

Last edited:
That's tough luck for your neighbor. Those things are junk...hope for his sake he doesn't buy another.

My in-laws who are the cheapest people on the planet just purchased a Kia w/out cruise control ðŸ¤

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/hyundai-sonata-engine-failures-prompt-recall

maybe he can get some help from hyundai on it.. that's one of the recalled motors.

Checked out the link you posted -- says it covers 10 yr./120,000 miles. He is surpassed the mileage warranty. I am gonna give him the customer service number to call them. Interested to see what they say. What does he have to lose by atleast talking with them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Doublehaul

My in-laws who are the cheapest people on the planet just purchased a Kia w/out cruise control ðŸ¤

So what.. it's their money; it'ss nobody else's business how they spend it. And besides, maybe they mostly drive in town and didn't see the value in spending the extra cash for the upgrade.

Fwiw, I rarely use my cruise control except for on long road trips - which is what, maybe twice a year? If it stopped working tomorrow (knock on wood) I wouldn't spend the money to fix it unless for some reason it effected the safety of the vehicle or had a dramatic effect on overall performance.. otherwise, I'd be just fine doing without it.

Last edited:
Time for me to be rude. The engine probably died younger than necessary due to our addiction to 87 octane. The crap tune Hyundai and others program to make turbo vehicles survive on 87 octane is absurd.

Most vehicles come with a stated warranty. Sometimes a vehicle manufacture will extend the warranty on certain issue(s) beyond the original warranty when bad press arises.
The new trend is more and more people are thinking the vehicle manufacture should warranty certain issues seemingly well beyond the written warranty.

Realistically? The car is 9 model years, a Hyundai and should be sent to the junk yard unless Hyundai will actually throw in a new engine.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Time for me to be rude. The engine probably died younger than necessary due to our addiction to 87 octane. The crap tune Hyundai and others program to make turbo vehicles survive on 87 octane is absurd.

because manufacturing defects = octane.. they didnt adequately clear out manufacturing debris. maybe it only had a couple tiny chips and made it that far..

I'd call hyundai because even if they wont totally cover it.. 75% coverage and new engine would still be worth it etc.

Last edited:
The vast majority of EcoBoost F150s run on "crap 87 octane" in fleets and private ownership. That's a 2.7 or3.5l twin turbo DI 6cylinders doing truck duty. I suggest it's not just the use of "crap 87 octane". Plenty with 150k+ miles.

This Hyundai engine has a known defect.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

Most vehicles come with a stated warranty. Sometimes a vehicle manufacture will extend the warranty on certain issue(s) beyond the original warranty when bad press arises.
The new trend is more and more people are thinking the vehicle manufacture should warranty certain issues seemingly well beyond the written warranty.

Realistically? The car is 9 model years, a Hyundai and should be sent to the junk yard unless Hyundai will actually throw in a new engine.

Last edited:
This engine lost compression in 3 of 4 cylinders. The cited "Hyundai defect" is a rod bearing issue. Two different things.

Running crap fuel in a 274 horsepower 2.0 turbo engine is stupid for sure. I had seen many problems associated with preignition in these engines such as but not limited too;
-burned up spark plugs
-melted ring lands
-Holes through the piston tops
-cracked cylinder liners

With all this being said, nobody here has enough information to develop an opinion on what went wrong. The only facts we have are that it's a 2011 Hyundai 2.0 turbo with 140something thousand miles that soiled it's pants. All else is a guess.

I am curious as to what the actual mechanical failure is. And how much they want for the car lol. I can build Hyundai/Kia 2.4/2.0's in my sleep.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
This engine lost compression in 3 of 4 cylinders. The cited "Hyundai defect" is a rod bearing issue. Two different things.

Running crap fuel in a 274 horsepower 2.0 turbo engine is stupid for sure. I had seen many problems associated with preignition in these engines such as but not limited too;
-burned up spark plugs
-melted ring lands
-cracked cylinder liners

With all this being said, nobody here has enough information to develop an opinion on what went wrong. The only facts we have are that it's a 2011 Hyundai 2.0 turbo with 140something thousand miles that soiled it's pants. All else is a guess.

I am curious as to what the actual mechanical failure is. And how much they want for the car lol. I can build Hyundai/Kia 2.4/2.0's in my sleep.

Do you find more issues with the 2.0 or 2.4?

Originally Posted by Whammo
Originally Posted by 69Torino

-burned up spark plugs
-melted ring lands
-cracked cylinder liners

Do you find more issues with the 2.0 or 2.4?

Low speed preignition and light seeking connecting rods on the 2011 and up GDI engines. Low speed preignition causes the problems outlined above. They carbon up the intake valves something horrible and GDI high pressure fuel pumps fail pretty often. And every time I pulled an intake off you could pour several ounces of oil out from the oil vapor condensing in the intake from the PCV valve. This is an engine that would benefit from a catch can on the PCV system.

I leased a 2015 Optima 2.4 when I worked for the dealership. I put 91 octane or better in it even though it was a lease because it pinged and rattled so bad on 87 it was not enjoyable to drive. The knock retard would pull ignition timing and the car simply didn't perform as well on 87. I verified this on the Kia GDS. (Global Diagnostic System) read: Kia scan tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back