2020 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sweet!

I think this will really appeal to those of us who appreciate an old-fashioned, truck-based, body-on-frame sport utility truck with a big V8 engine.

It's time-tested and proven, and is undoubtedly one of the most reliable and longest-lasting vehicles on the road today, along with many other Toyota models. Yes, I am a big fan of Toyota.

No, it doesn't get great fuel economy, compared to some other vehicles. But look at the durability and reliability of this. Personally, I'll pay a little more at the pump to get that peace of mind and knowledge that this will last, essentially, indefinitely.

A good friend of many years has two he uses for his biz. One has well over 250k miles and has never been out of the city of Tampa, FL. The other is over 100k miles. Both are driven by several different folks and this is much harder use than a single driver.

They are great vehicles.

My FIL just bought a 19 Camry loaded at the auction, even though it is a little small it is an amazingly well assembled car. No matter how close you look it is very well made and most materials seem to be good quality.

No Toyota hate here...

As I've said before, Toyota is a conservative auto maker. Being slow to change engine and transmission designs, plus tweaking any reliability issues early on is largely responsible for their success.
Nothing wrong with that approach.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I think this will really appeal to those of us who appreciate an old-fashioned, truck-based, body-on-frame sport utility truck with a big V8 engine.

And suburban moms who like the tough 4WD look.

My neighbor just picked up a 4Runner TRD Pro. She's a 40-something stay-at-home mom. She traded in a Land Rover Evoque for it. I mean, when you need that pumpkin spice no matter what, you might just need those Fox shocks and crawl control to get it. The driveway at the local Starbucks can get awfully icy in the winter.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer

My neighbor just picked up a 4Runner TRD Pro. She's a 40-something stay-at-home mom. She traded in a Land Rover Evoque for it. I mean, when you need that pumpkin spice no matter what, you might just need those Fox shocks and crawl control to get it. The driveway at the local Starbucks can get awfully icy in the winter.

You can't get out and actually GET that pumpkin spice latte when your Land Rover is at the dealer 3 times a month.......she did the right thing.

Originally Posted by PimTac
If I was in the market for a full sized SUV, the Sequoia would be at the top of my list.
+1
Outdated styling? Yes. Very poor gas mileage? Yes. Tough as nails? Yes. In this category of vehicles the Sequoia is far and away the most reliable and durable.
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Toyota_Sequoia.html
If it is not abused and/or neglected, anybody who buys one should be able to get at least 25 years use out of it.
Toyota doesn't sell many new ones and the people who buy them don't get rid of them, so finding a low mile late model used one is difficult.

Last edited:
I guess one needs to define tough as nails.

I dont necessarily see any rationale to justify that this is tougher or stronger than a similar full size Ford or GM SUV. And I've seen a good number of those with very high mileage and good reliability. On the flip side, the last Toyota truck we had messed with (a tundra) had severe frame rot and rusted brake lines. And it wasnt a snow/rust belt truck.

The Sequoia is nominally more handsome than the domestic offerings, but this TRD package and the wannabe retro grill just screams gaudy, if not "poser". They had done a pretty good job with styling, but some of the treatments on their cars and trucks just make me scratch my head.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I guess one needs to define tough as nails.

I dont necessarily see any rationale to justify that this is tougher or stronger than a similar full size Ford or GM SUV. And I've seen a good number of those with very high mileage and good reliability. On the flip side, the last Toyota truck we had messed with (a tundra) had severe frame rot and rusted brake lines. And it wasnt a snow/rust belt truck.

The Sequoia is nominally more handsome than the domestic offerings, but this TRD package and the wannabe retro grill just screams gaudy, if not "poser". They had done a pretty good job with styling, but some of the treatments on their cars and trucks just make me scratch my head.

All styling aside this truck is indeed a weak choice if rust is the issue. I hear way too much from my northern folks about rusty pieces and frames.

Makes me glad I am in sunny Fl...

Styling is subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The rusty frame issue that plagued Toyota for several years was a frame manufacturer/supplier problem (Dana Corp) that was addressed and rectified LONG ago. To Toyota's credit, they replaced many of the rusty frames under warranty (not an inexpensive proposition) or bought the vehicles back, something that other manufacturers (like Ford) would NOT have done.

Last edited:
They do or used to sell well in Saudi. They're manufactured not terribly far from my area. Guy I know at the plant told me a number of years ago that the ones going to Saudi Arabia get equipped with a medical kit.

Originally Posted by Rand
65k+ on those.. too much for me. Thats 1/2 a good house around here.
When equally equipped, most of it's direct competitors are more expensive than the Sequoia. If that isn't high enough, look at the prices of new Escalades, Navigators, and QX80s! The last time I visited a Cadillac dealer, I didn't see a single Escalade on the lot priced at under $80k, most were in the mid/upper $80k range, and some were in the $90k range. With the prices being so high, I'm not surprised that they are not selling as well as they once did.

I generally do not understand people who need full size SUV's for family purposes. But that TRD sign on a manufacturer that is antithesis to sport?
lol.gif

Originally Posted by wag123
When equally equipped, most of it's direct competitors are more expensive than the Sequoia. If that isn't high enough, look at the prices of new Escalades, Navigators, and QX80s! The last time I visited a Cadillac dealer, I didn't see a single Escalade on the lot priced at under $80k, most were in the mid/upper $80k range, and some were in the $90k range. With the prices being so high, I'm not surprised that they are not selling as well as they once did.

I do agree paying that much money for SUV that will haul kids to the school is absolutely crazy, regardless of a vehicle. However, that new Expedition/Navigator is really compelling vehicle.

Originally Posted by edyvw

I do agree paying that much money for SUV that will haul kids to the school is absolutely crazy, regardless of a vehicle. However, that new Expedition/Navigator is really compelling vehicle.
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Ford_Expedition.html
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Lincoln_Navigator.html
Compelling? In what way? Build quality? Reliability? Bang-for-the-buc?
It is funny to hear YOU say this given how you are so critical of a manufacturer's build quality.

Seems like a nice package except for the cheap looking black wheels and bro lights. I think machine finish or even silver wheels would look so much better, and anything except bro lights. The shocks are cool and all, but appearance wise it's what high schoolers do when Mom gives them the Sequoia. There are few cases where black wheels look good, and a Sequoia isn't one of them.

Originally Posted by edyvw

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Ford_Expedition.html
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Lincoln_Navigator.html
Compelling? In what way? Build quality? Reliability? Bang-for-the-buc?
It is funny to hear YOU say this given how you are so critical of a manufacturer's build quality.

Statistic in which Aspen is ranked that high can only be some drawing by some kid in daycare, not any serious chart.
As I said, I think it is ridiculous to buy such vehicle for family purposes, so I really do not care how reliable Expedition or Sequoia will be (based on my Land Cruiser, I would go Expedition if I had to choose between two). However, I drove both, and Expedition is Mazda Miata on the road compared to Sequoia and much more practical. On other hand, Sequoia is 11 years old, so that is really not surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back