Interesting trend at my local walmarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same thing at Walmart here today.

Stopped in to get some SuperTech (changed oil in family member's 21 year old Plymouth Breeze) and synthetic was plentifully stocked. Was only $1 or so more for the 5 quart jug of it too. I found some conventional. No way am I putting synthetic in that old beast.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

Stopped in to get some SuperTech (changed oil in family member's 21 year old Plymouth Breeze) and synthetic was plentifully stocked. Was only $1 or so more for the 5 quart jug of it too. I found some conventional. No way am I putting synthetic in that old beast.

You should be buying that 21 year old Breeze a beer! What's wrong with you?
lol.gif

I'm having difficulties finding any 5qt jugs of ST 0w20 full syn or even some of the other le$$er expensive(~ $20/5qt) name brand 0w20s as well.

Sometimes, the only 0w20 oils that I am finding on the shelves is the ~/> $30/5qt jugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by N Heat
Ive been ordering oil from walmart.com for a while, but browse the aisles when Im there. For the last several months, the Supertech conventional selection has been unusually sparse, while the synthetics are usually stocked well. Also, the name brand dinos are stocked well too. Tonight there was 4 gallons 20w50, 1 gallon of 10w40 and 1 gallon of 5w30 HM. I know that there are so many variables involved in the supply processes of a huge retailer, but maybe the world has gotten the message that your engine will last just as long on SN ST dino that it will on any other oil?
27.gif
27.gif

[Linked Image]

Find out which days your Walmart stocks their oil shelves. Most-all stores only do it once or twice a week. Be sure to shop the very next day to restocking.

Photo looks like the Walmart in Florida City before you head to the Keys.

This time of the year I'm sure oil is not on the top of their priority to ship to stores.

Originally Posted by super20dan
it has to be a management issue .

Yes, that and high levels of shoplifting, which is also affected by management. Some stores control the shoplifting much better than others.

Having been on the inside, the inventory/ordering system works great until shoplifters throw off the inventory numbers. A shoplifted item doesn't get reordered. Employees are SUPPOSED to enter corrections which are then approved by management. Some managers don't like to admit their inventory is shrinking, so they won't allow employees time to scan shelves or approve the numbers. Then it all comes out in their annual outside inventory.

We have 2 Walmarts in the closest city to where I am. Both are decent when it comes to keeping motor oils and lubricants stocked on the shelves.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I'm having difficulties finding any 5qt jugs of ST 0w20 full syn or even some of the other le$$er expensive(
~ $20/5qt) name brand 0w20s as well.

Sometimes, the only 0w20 oils that I am finding on the shelves is the ~/> $30/5qt jugs.

Every store seems to have it's own unique blueprint. Two stores are five miles from my house in opposite directions. One stocks ST HM 0W-20 and the other one doesn't.
21.gif

it has to be a management issue . my Walmart is always out of supertec synth 10-30. the next Walmart only 3 mils down the street always has plenty.

it has to be a management issue . my Walmart is always out of supertec synth 10-30. the next Walmart only 3 mils down the street always has plenty.

Inventory management is all electronic and automated. Only two things I can think of that would cause them to be out ... At some point a bunch was lost, stolen, damaged and no one ever updated inventory to get it replaced or there's a shop nearby buying all of it.

Around here it's always stocked. The thing I've noticed is the motorcraft oil comes and goes a lot ...as in, shelf space is sold to someone else type of deal

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Warehouse space in the back of the store is sparse. Its Christmas season and my guess is its being used for higher profit items presently as well as Christmas pickup for customers.
At the Walmart I go to most frequently, their overstock of oil products is right behind the shelves that we buy the bottles off of (similar to how the milk coolers are set up in many stores). The size of this storage area really wouldn't benefit them much for use with Christmas-related items, IMO.

I doubt the local management has any input in what is stocked. It's all automated at their headquarters in AR. At most, local management can special order items for a customer request .... or could in the past. Nowadays the customer can do it directly through walmart.com.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Walmart stocking is always hit and miss.
Some stores seem to do really well while others look like the one you posted.
So much for Walmart's wonderful ability to keep its shelves properly stocked.
What was considered state of the art inventory control twenty years ago doesn't cut it today.
No wonder so many people shop Amazon.

I have 3 WM stores within easy driving distance. One is a stereotypical location. One is newer but getting a reputation for fights and shootings. And one is head and shoulders above the others in terms of cleanliness & clientele. Only the two dodgy locations ever have the oils I look for. At one point, only one of them showed online stock for Pennzoil 0w40 Euro, so that's the one I visited. Got there and none on the shelf. Asked an employee from the auto department and he said he'd never seen it and when we looked we couldn't even find a shelf tag for that product. I get a bit annoyed when a retailer has a website that is supposed to show current stock, and when you get there there's none to be found. So, yes, either buying online from Amazon or at least doing the ship to store purchase is the easiest and reliable way to go.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Walmart stocking is always hit and miss.
Some stores seem to do really well while others look like the one you posted.
So much for Walmart's wonderful ability to keep its shelves properly stocked.
What was considered state of the art inventory control twenty years ago doesn't cut it today.
No wonder so many people shop Amazon.

Who cares. My local Rural King is always stocked well. I'm doing what Subyrubieroo is and not giving wal mart a single red cent of my hard earned money. Dont like wal mart: simple, dont shop there and whine about it.

Rural King oil is cheaper than ST anyway. ST conventional is like $2.67 a qt, the RK oil is $1.99. I use the cheapest stuff I can find in my Corolla. The wife's Sienna gets M1 full syn, and so will the Vette...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by Nick1994

You should be buying that 21 year old Breeze a beer! What's wrong with you?
lol.gif

Boy does it need one. You should hear that 2.0L. Very well maintained, but it's a 21 year old Plymouth.. Pretty noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back