Bought me a lemon 15 focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So new to me job is over 100 miles round trip a day. My CPO 18 Mazda is almost at 18K already and I don't wanna kill this car driving so much. I would be doing an oil change less than every 2 months. My new job is at a new ford dealership and we sell 90% rav vehicles. I needed something good on gas and my fusion is beat up cause my ex and just hit 190K. I'm gonna sell it here soon. But I bought me a 15 Ford Focus S with 68K. It was bought back for the obvious reason the dsp6 clutch transmission. Car has extended coverage on the clutch and Tom till 10k or 7 yrs so I'm not worried. My best friend does these clutches in and out the car and programs in and hr and a half. He's our trans guy at work. So I got me a decent car I think. I paid.....7600 and put 1500 down
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Seems kind of steep to me considering everything. At least it has the extended clutch warranty because you know it will be failing soon.
If the thing was a manual I would have said it was a decent deal.

Last edited:
Would not have made the same choices.

My kid had a focus with the dry clutch trans - it can never be made right/ rebuilt tuned for any length of time.

Best thing that happened was he got t-boned juust hard enough to total it but not get hurt while it was worth some dough.

He bought a mazda3 sedan and will probably keep it 10 years.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gabriel9766
I paid.....7600 and put 1500 down

Yeah, that's a pretty terrible deal. Esp since it's the auto and because it's almost 5 years old.
Also don't see the point of babying one commuter to save another.
crazy.gif

2 car payments, 2 insurance payments? I don't see how this is saving anything. $1,000 beater, sure, but this seems like a bad idea.

I have to agree with the others, saving miles on a used Mazda sedan is a fool's errand.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's just 100% foolish. Saving miles on the Mazda? So you'll spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a Focus to save maybe hundreds of dollars of depreciation on your Mazda after a few years? I could MAYBE see it making sense if the nice car to save miles on were a brand new BMW M5 or CTS-V

Stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

Go back to the dealer and beg them to buy it back.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Look up the reviews of Sneed Ford.

Scott

I read a few. Sounds like they specialize in selling lemons that have been bought back by Ford.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's just 100% foolish. Saving miles on the Mazda? So you'll spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a Focus to save maybe hundreds of dollars of depreciation on your Mazda after a few years? I could MAYBE see it making sense if the nice car to save miles on were a brand new BMW M5 or CTS-V

Yep. If he throws a big enough fit, they'll let him out of the deal. I worked at a Ford dealership in Memphis back in the mid-2000s and I've seen it done several times. And that was in the days before social media got so big. Nowadays, the consumer has a lot more power due to the prevalence of social media.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by Nick1994

Yep. If he throws a big enough fit, they'll let him out of the deal. I worked at a Ford dealership in Memphis back in the mid-2000s and I've seen it done several times. And that was in the days before social media got so big. Nowadays, the consumer has a lot more power due to the prevalence of social media.

I think OP works at the dealer.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I think the OP's new job is at Sneed!

Scott

Having worked at a couple of different Ford dealerships for about 4 years, from 2004-2008, I've seen this happen several times. New employee starts at the dealership, wide-eyed, starts looking around at the cars for sale, and a salesman gets a hold of him. BAM! Before the guy knows it, he's getting sold a car! Many dealerships have very high turnover rates. Well, at least they can count on a few car sales out of all those new hires (and their friends and families) going in and out of the doors!

I'm sorry, but that's a horrible deal. Not even considering that it being a buy-back should hurt the value of the car, KBB trade in value is only $4200. For that number, it assumes that car is in "good" condition with no major mechanical issues.

Buying a previous buy back might make sense when there's some indication that the previous owner might not have known anything about cars, or simply was imagining things.

But buying a buy back with a widely known issue to where there is no truly known fix is completely different.... DSP6... 6.0... 6.4...

I paid $7000 for a 7 year old Fusion SE with 70,000 miles... with new tires, new brakes, and a new battery.

it is not a Focus, nor is it an "S" model, nor does it have a transmission in it that will constantly be at some point of impending failure.

But whatever works for you. Good luck! Personally, I'd be having some serious second thoughts here, and figuring out ways to get my money back.

Sneed Ford.... every used Focus on their lot has been repurchased by Ford at some point. Almost 20 of them.

OMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back