Amsoil 0W-30, 14,198 MILES, 1993 Civic

Today is a special day to me. When I purchased my Civic in 2000, it had 64,000 miles on it. I have now personally put over 500,000 miles on it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice! You've got me beat. I got a 1/2 ton gmc with 117,000 and a sludged motor and no trans and got that engine over the half million mark BUT I personally only took it 400,000 or so. Sold it running great though!

Last edited:
Miles on Civic - 568,494 / 914,902 km
Miles on oil - 6,452
Amsoil AZO 0W-30 oil
Amsoil Ea15k20 oil filter
2 Filtermag CT3.2 magnetic oil filters
Dimple magnetic oil drain plug
5 ozs Liquimoly
37 ozs make up oil

Blackstone Labs; This engine is still going strong at an impressive 568,494 miles. The wear levels are stable, which is great, and the lack of potassium and sodium tell us your
coolant fix was good and that the last drops of coolant have all but washed out. You did get a little more fuel in the oil this time, but 1.8% is still within the
"could be from normal operational considerations" range, so no worries there. The TBN was good at 3.8, and the ISO Cleanliness Code was fine at 15/14/11. When
you hit 600K, you'll have to come up and celebrate over beers with us. Great work!

Code:

Aluminum----------4--------------------------------------4(universal average based on a 5,900 mile OCI)
Chromium----------1--------------------------------------1
Iron-------------------16------------------------------------9
Copper---------------2--------------------------------------3
Lead------------------0---------------------------------------2
Tin---------------------0---------------------------------------1
Molybdenum--------284------------------------------------88
Nickel-----------------0----------------------------------------0
Manganese---------0----------------------------------------0
Silver------------------0---------------------------------------0
Titanium--------------0---------------------------------------1
Potassium-----------6----------------------------------------4
Boron-----------------68--------------------------------------51
Silicon-----------------9---------------------------------------11
Sodium----------------10-------------------------------------42
Calcium----------------1255---------------------------------2120
Magnesium------------968-----------------------------------163
Phosphorus------------737-----------------------------------713
Zinc-----------------------821-----------------------------------833
Barium--------------------0--------------------------------------0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F--------------59.9-----------------57-67(values should be)
cSt Viscosity @ 100 C----------------10.19---------------9.4-12.4
Flashpoint in F---------------------------340----------------->375
Fuel in %-----------------------------------1.8----------------- Antifreeze %------------------------------0--------------------0
Water %-------------------------------------0--------------------0
Insolubles %-------------------------------0.3----------------- TBN------------------------------------------3.8------------------>1.0
Tan-------------------------------------------not done

Particle counts for ISO Code 15/14/11;

>=2 microns-------436 particles
>=5-------------------161
>=10------------------45
>=15------------------17
>=25-------------------4
>=50-------------------0
>=100-----------------0

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Nice! You've got me beat. I got a 1/2 ton gmc with 117,000 and a sludged motor and no trans and got that engine over the half million mark BUT I personally only took it 400,000 or so. Sold it running great though!

Those trucks seem to run forever, bet you miss it.

Returned from Florida Friday (15th). Put 2,000 miles on the Civic in the process. (now 572,000 miles), the car never skipped a beat.

Fuel mileage was a bit of a disappointment, I knew it would be due to head winds there and back! Still, 39.2 mpg isn't all that bad.

Originally Posted by harry j
Returned from Florida Friday (15th). Put 2,000 miles on the Civic in the process. (now 572,000 miles), the car never skipped a beat.

Fuel mileage was a bit of a disappointment, I knew it would be due to head winds there and back! Still, 39.2 mpg isn't all that bad.

Have you done a compression test on each cylinder? Pretty impressive on half a million miles.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
Originally Posted by harry j

Have you done a compression test on each cylinder? Pretty impressive on half a million miles.

No compression test ever done, engine idles rock steady and pulls hard at open throttle.

It would be interesting to see the lab results if you were to not run the magnets for one OCI just as an experiment.

I'm wondering if iron is in fact much higher but the magnets are holding it and masking the data.

Thoughts?

Yes Artem, I have thought of doing just that. I was wondering why the iron level is higher than the universal average despite the use of such strong magnets.
You may think that the actual iron level is much higher than the oil report is indicating- if the magnets work as advertised. I have never cut open the oil filter
to see. However, If the Filtermags are removing any iron, it is probably primary wear, protecting the softer metals from polishing. If you look
at the above report, you will see that the softer metals are below the universal averages. I have thought the iron level was of elemental, too small to make any difference
in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps a UOA with an iron assay is in order.

As an after thought, the Dimple oil drain magnet has little to no iron on it at time of oil change. This drain plug has a very strong neo magnet.
There is what looks like Etch-a-Sketch like material on it

Originally Posted by Artem
It would be interesting to see the lab results if you were to not run the magnets for one OCI just as an experiment.

I'm wondering if iron is in fact much higher but the magnets are holding it and masking the data.

Thoughts?

Artem, I guess you could say the same thing about the high efficiency Amsoil filter. The latest oil results show that there was only 436 particles per cc total.
That includes contaminants of all sizes. If the engine is producing more contaminants than is shown in the oil report, they are being removed by
the magnetic filter and the Amsoil filter, preventing further wear.

Back