RATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
My mother's 2.5 Escape. Dealer changed the oil a couple weeks ago, and found some rodent nesting, cleaned it up. I popped the hood to check things out today. Sorry Jack, Chuckie's back. I cleaned it up and does not appear to be worse for wear save a wee nibble on #3

Gave Chuckie a treat and will keep tabs on the regular

Nest.jpg

Treat.jpg

Doah! I've had minor issues with this on daily drivers. Now that I have a garage I'm halfway tempted to reduce my fleet to just that which fits in the garage so as to prevent this issue.

My mechanic removed about 5 pounds of acorns from my airbox once... At least they didn't do worse than that.

I did find a hole in an air filter once, I was kinda peeved as it was a nearly new filter. These days, with filters rated for >100k, how often are you going to check?

Changed the air filter on my Acura last month -- sure enough -- dead mouse in the box. No debris or anything chewed though -- thankfully.

Originally Posted by MrQuackers
My mother's 2.5 Escape. Dealer changed the oil a couple weeks ago, and found some rodent nesting, cleaned it up. I popped the hood to check things out today. Sorry Jack, Chuckie's back. I cleaned it up and does not appear to be worse for wear save a wee nibble on #3

Well those little blue treats work great but if you mother has any pets I'd suggest a bait box made by TomCat it will make it available to the rats but cats etc. won't able to get at it. They have them on Amazon or Home Depot.

I heard some folks suggest you put some marvel Mystery oil in a spray bottle and spray down all the wiring wherever mice can get to it. Can't attest to its veracity.

Originally Posted by MrQuackers

+1 on the riddix bloks!
Had a terrible mouse/rat infestation years ago when getting the BMW out of storage.
After a box of those left around the wheels, tires, and engine bay, no more mice/rats!
All the bait was gone, but no sign of the rodents. After two winters the other person I stored with said she didn't have ANY mice droppings etc.

That stuff is nothing short of amazing. Make sure to check back in less than a week. I'm pretty sure it'll be gone.
Make sure to keep replacing it until they aren't "disappearing" anymore.

That's a mess. I hate dealing with rodents.

Fun fact about rodent infestations. During World War II near the battle of Stalingrad, the German tanks held reserve behind the front were sitting for several months as the battle carried out. When the Soviets encircled the Germans in Stalingrad, the Germans went to mobilize their reserve tank battalions to break through the encirclement and rescue the 6th Army. However, near half of their tanks wouldn't start due to field mice getting inside them and chewing up the wiring while they sat. Similar things happened to armored divisions stationed in France that attempted to react to the Normandy invasion. The mouse... the unforeseen ally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back