Aircraft related, what would you do with $52K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
12.gif

I'm staring at at one of our EC135 T2 aircraft right now, that iis in for a 1000hr inspection. So far we have on order to replace:

-One main rotor blade - $62,000 repaired, $128,000 new
-Several main rotor flight control mixer components - $15,000
-Two engines firewalls - $17,000 and $6,000

And a bunch of other tiny, random, expensive pieces. Aviation is n't cheap. The bigger the bird, the bigger the prices.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
What defect causes a main rotor blade to need replaced but still flying to a 1000hr inspection?
confused2.gif

No continuity between the static discharger at the tip of the blade and the grounding strap at the root.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by AZjeff
What defect causes a main rotor blade to need replaced but still flying to a 1000hr inspection?
confused2.gif

No continuity between the static discharger at the tip of the blade and the grounding strap at the root.

Got that.

My work is a mil subcontractor and we make fuel cell enclosures for a number of military helos. Every connection point has to have conductivity with every other point with minimum values. Our current project tank has close to 50 connection points. The conductive silver epoxy is something like $50/10 gram pack and each tank gets 17 packs. We also make the internal seat cushions for the birds. Knowing what these simple parts sell for it's no wonder flying things cost what they do.

I sold my Cessna 180 because I was certain that a couple of cylinders had to be removed and I was staring at an ADS-B out mandate.

I couldn't even fathom owning a helicopter, even a Robinson..

I think I would find it stressful having to order the parts for the EC 135. "Can't we just fly another 200 hours on those rotor blades?..."

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
12.gif

I'm staring at at one of our EC135 T2 aircraft right now, that iis in for a 1000hr inspection. So far we have on order to replace:

-One main rotor blade - $62,000 repaired, $128,000 new
-Several main rotor flight control mixer components - $15,000
-Two engines firewalls - $17,000 and $6,000

And a bunch of other tiny, random, expensive pieces. Aviation is n't cheap. The bigger the bird, the bigger the prices.

Guess that's why they charge $20k for an air ambulance ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back