rate my craigslist ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BigCahuna
Whats with meeting in some parking lot to do the sale?. You do know your address in on the title right? Sounds shady to me.,,,

Many police stations have an area for meeting up for these type transactions that can be monitored by cameras. Even if they don't meeting by the police station seems like a safer idea.

I would want to see all of the driver's seat cushion and a picture of the VIN.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by BigCahuna
Whats with meeting in some parking lot to do the sale?. You do know your address in on the title right? Sounds shady to me.,,,

Many police stations have an area for meeting up for these type transactions that can be monitored by cameras. Even if they don't meeting by the police station seems like a safer idea.

It's a safety thing. But no need to advertise that in advance, when someone wants to meet you just mention meeting in the parking lot. Also important to pick a time where there's some traffic in the lot so you don't get carjacked. Of course standard craigslist precautions need to be taken. Get the buyer's number and call them at least an hour or so before meeting to confirm they're coming. Also try to set up several appointments at the same time. Normally if you have 3 people showing up, one will flake out. Plus if you have someone else coming after them, you can casually mention that in case they had any ideas of pulling anything.

I sold an old motorbike on Craigslist in less than an hour. I wanted bike gone as it didn't run and was taking up space. I put 150 or best offer with pictures. Guy came to my house and was tickled pink cause he got it for 100 as it had title and he needed parts. He thought it was too cheap ...‚
Point is ask for more and you never know if someone offers more than you want.

yeah I'll rate it. IMO, it's too hostile. No this, no that, 4000 firm. And a huge turn off for me is when I have to "meet" you some place. Sorry, but I prefer to meet at your home, your address is on the title anyway. Yeah I doubt I would bother with it unless it was the exact car I wanted. Don't need the [censored] attitude in life (and this from a guy that has sold at least 30 vehicles through the years).

Last edited:
The "$4000 Firm" would be a deal killer for me unless the price was a major bargain. Plus, the "no texts" and other conditions mean the seller is probably not someone I want to do business with anyway.

When I've got something for sale I'm more than happy to be contacted about it and I don't care when or how; e-mail fine, text fine, phone calls ok, I want to get it sold and gone.

Always, always build a little cushion into asking prices for haggling purposes, people like to think their getting a deal

Photos are a little skimpy as well and look photoshopped or filtered, (another red flag).

I would also remove the meet-at-gas-station thing. Otherwise, good job.

I don't put "or best offer" or "firm" or "priced for quick sale" or anything like that in the ad. The people who are going to lowball me generally try via email, so I weed them out at the get-go. Someone who shows up and shows an interest before striking, I will be respectful to, consider the offer, and let them know I have their contact info if I change my mind. I'll say something like yeah I got a few emails, but you're the first guy to actually show up, but someone else seems real interested too, but I'll let you know.

The ad is to get people to come see the car. An ad as complete as yours is good if they start haggling on condition-- you can say, listen, it's a used car for 20% of the price of a new one, and (you) feel it's as advertised. Don't make the ad answer every potential question, because someone might not care about brake lining thickness but just know their friend has the same car in the same color and it's been great for her.

Originally Posted by Rock_Hudstone
The "$4000 Firm" would be a deal killer for me unless the price was a major bargain. Plus, the "no texts" and other conditions mean the seller is probably not someone I want to do business with anyway.

When I've got something for sale I'm more than happy to be contacted about it and I don't care when or how; e-mail fine, text fine, phone calls ok, I want to get it sold and gone.

Always, always build a little cushion into asking prices for haggling purposes, people like to think their getting a deal

Photos are a little skimpy as well and look photoshopped or filtered, (another red flag).

That's what everyone thinks in terms of pricing. So everyone ends up being overpriced. I price it at a little below the market. The guys priced higher won't sell. I've listed many things on craigslist to sell and I get my asking price. People who want to lowball I just tell them that I just listed it and that I'll think about it and call them back if I change my mind. Someone else calls and I tell them I already have an interested buyer, then if they really want it, they just pay me asking price and I never end up calling the low ballers back.

Originally Posted by Rock_Hudstone

+1

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I added the VIN, enabled email and removed some of the language some of you found offensive.
Rock_Hudstone, the pictures are from a Samsung S10+, not photo shopped.
I added pictures of the engine. I don't know if Craigslist has a limit on pictures but there should be enough pictures and information for someone to make a decision to move forward or move on.

Originally Posted by terry274
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I added the VIN, enabled email and removed some of the language some of you found offensive.
Rock_Hudstone, the pictures are from a Samsung S10+, not photo shopped.
I added pictures of the engine. I don't know if Craigslist has a limit on pictures but there should be enough pictures and information for someone to make a decision to move forward or move on.

Much better now! Good luck.

Much better and yeah, if it's priced right, you don't need to come down. Lots of cars on CL that are vastly over-priced. Good job.

Market values have many variables; color, condition, location, time of year, etc. Better to be a little over market value and be flexible, then to lose money under pricing.

Dealers most always inflate asking prices then adjust as necessary. Market price is what the item actually sells for on that particular day not what the seller thinks it should be or was.

Speaking for myself when I see that "Price Firm" business whether its a washer machine or whatever I usually just don't even bother responding because its probably a tip off the seller thinks he is sitting on a gold mine..

Mine you there is nothing wrong with being firm in price just don't make a big deal out of it up front. The goal is to attract buyers, don't give them reasons to pass over your ad.

Never put "firm" on an ad. People don't like to be told to drop dead. Even if it's just $250 leave yourself some token wiggle room.

True story: Dad had a truly rare and desirable muscle car to sell. It attracted plenty of attention and he put a $20,000 "firm" for sale sign on it.

Truth be told, it wasn't a totally unreasonable price, even at the time. But after a few months of telling everyone who was interested to get lost, he burned through the potential market, even as the car appreciated past his price.

PS. My boss paid big buck to have me attend a negotiation seminar to learn this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jimbrewer
Never put "firm" on an ad. People don't like to be told to drop dead. Even if it's just $250 leave yourself some token wiggle room.

True story: Dad had a truly rare and desirable muscle car to sell. It attracted plenty of attention and he put a $20,000 "firm" for sale sign on it.

Truth be told, it wasn't a totally unreasonable price, even at the time. But after a few months of telling everyone who was interested to get lost, he burned through the potential market, even as the car appreciated past his price.

I have to agree, that type of language only turns off reasonable buyers. The crazy ones will still blow your phone up! Keep it short, professional and to the point. As a seller, pick and choose who you respond to.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
Never put "firm" on an ad. People don't like to be told to drop dead.

PS. My boss paid big buck to have me attend a negotiation seminar to learn this.

Yeah, that is a sure fired way to chase off potential buyers.

I've passed over countless craigslist and other listings for that reason alone, not worth my time haggling with hard heads who take offense when offered less than asking.

Same thing with estate sales I frequent, If they won't budge on prices I usually walk.

Oh and another thing, try not price expensive items in round numbers, $19,895 looks way cheaper on paper than $20,000.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back