post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2005 Ford Ranger 4.0l. w/49K >>>NOTE: Ford rec. 30K serv.
Drop and replace pan with Dorman 265-831 (has drain plug)
4 qt. CarQuest MERCON V, Hastings TF110 filter
10 oz. bottle of LubeGard red.

>>>NOTE: The gasket in place had 2 small cylinders (2mm dia. X 1.5mm high) of metal on opposite sides of each of the gasket's 18 holes.
They're to prevent crushing. Never saw that before.

PM for great deal on an old, 4WD (deep) pan for the 5R55E. I will post in the FOR SALE section.

2010 Malibu with a 4 speed, 4t45E. Dropped pan and filter. 110,000 Miles. Inside of pan looked clean!

Out: Factory Fill
In: 7 Quarts Super Tech Dex. VI
Hastings filter used

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
2012 Accord coupe 4cyl auto, 103,000 miles.
D&F with DW-1. A little under 3 quarts. Third time in as many months.

2005 Corolla, 298,300 miles.
D&F 4 quarts. Maxlife.

MTL (75W-80) was notchy-feeling? It's 'way thicker than BG Synchro Shift II. I have concerns that Redline "centrifuges-out" its wear additives. Some folk have found additive-sludge inside of transmission/transaxle cases. I am of the mind that a manual trans has to be "nursed" to operating temp... Seems to me there are competing factors re the choice of a manual transmission lubricant: cold shift feel versus gear tooth and bearing/bushing long term life. With my Mazda 'box this is complicated by the shaft oil funnel / pumped shaft oil delivery system (speed-gears run on splines, centrally oil-fed versus on caged needle bearings).

Last edited:
Sorry... meant to edit but took too long. Here is edited version:

MTL (75W-80) was notchy-feeling? It's 'way thicker than BG Synchro Shift II. I have concerns that Redline "centrifuges-out" its wear additives. Some folk have found additive-sludge inside of transmission/transaxle cases. I am of the mind that a manual trans has to be "nursed" to operating temp... Seems to me there are competing factors re the choice of a manual transmission lubricant: cold shift feel versus gear tooth and bearing/bushing long term life. With my Mazda 'box this is complicated by the shaft oil funnel / pumped shaft oil delivery system (speed-gears run on splines, centrally oil-fed, versus on caged needle bearings).

2017 Tahoe … 31k
Out: 6 quarts FF and filter
In: 6 quarts ACD D6+Napa filter …
Installed drain plug

B1AC801C-D163-463E-9BA1-E467FE6E4F89.jpeg

2DBC75BA-3020-4649-854F-21CE4E5B357B.jpeg

2017 Honda Civic Hatchback 6MT

Out: Amsoil MTF 25K miles, 2qt
In: Amsoil MTF, 2qt

Fluid out didn't smell bad was kind of dark. Shift feel hasn't changed at all. If i don't get rid of the car (due to knee injury) fluid will stay in the gear box for at least 40K now

I just drained & filled my '06 KIA Optima cockroach with MaxLife and a half bottle of LubeGuard red. The old fluid was pretty ugly, greyish. Drain plug was liberally coated with a slimy metallic residue. I'll update this post once I put a few miles on the transmission.

First post! Glad to be here. This site has definitely saved me hundreds of dollars in unnecessary expenses over the years. OTOH it's wasted countless hours of my time.
grin.gif
Figured it was high time I shared a little.

Last edited:
2013 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD 138k miles
Out: Don't know, maybe factory fill? I bought it used earlier this year and don't know if the transmission was serviced before.
In: Eneos Model T-W fluid. It's an aftermarket fluid specifically for Toyota WS applications. I dropped the pan, changed the filter, and refilled. Took about 4 qts.

I see a lot of people using lubegaurd red in this thread, is there info on this with solid evidence of it being good for your transmission? Just curious being I'm researching everything now for a complete fluid change here soon. 94 Ford R150 5.8L E4OD trans.

90's Corolla S. Not mine. Service only half complete.
Came home yesterday morning, to see a stream of earl in street and black Corolla in front of my house.
Young man on cell. Big puddle of ATF (Maxlife, WS, ???) in gutter; dammed up by tree leaves.
Cat litter to the rescue. His friend and father showed up.
I talked to them and invited them in but they just stood there for over an hour until tow truck arrived.
Of course it was a pleasent 69 to 70* in Los Gatos...
Junior loved the Tesla in garage. I offered to let him try it, but no.
Nice kid. Gotta go sweep up tranny fluid.

09 GMC Sierra
Pretty sure it was a 4l60
Out: unknown, full throttle transmission flush
In: acdelco Dex vi, full throttle transmission treatment

Last edited:
Changed the ATF in my 2017 Ford Fusion 6F35 6 speed auto today. About 30K OCI with 3.6 qts.

Out: Valvoline Max Lile Synthetic LV

In: M1 ATF LV

3 Qt D&F on the 2003 Accord in Signature.

Idemitsu H+ / 3oz Lubguard Red (Just cause)

This is the 3rd change since I've gone from DW1 to the H+ and 20,000 miles since switching.

I D&F every oil change. Overkill, most certainly.

Originally Posted by Provi
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI getting it's 40k miles service. Drained the factory fluid and installed Liquimoly 8100 DSG fluid.

Here are the results of the OEM fluid analysis
[Linked Image]

Back