No passenger tires on LT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My OEM tires were passenger tires. It currently has LT tires on and they need replaced. WM won't put a passenger tires on a vehicle once it has had LT tires. What is the reasoning for this?

What does your door sticker say? What does their book/ computer say?

They don't want to go down in (effective) load range, but should put OE-equivalents on.

P-tires are derated 10% when substituted for LTs. If, however, the OE called for Ps that was taken into account.

Originally Posted by otis24
WM won't put a passenger tires on a vehicle once it has had LT tires. What is the reasoning for this?

your statement is incorrect. they wont go lower than the org. spec.. probably just ran into a blockhead at walmart.

P225/75R16 in load range 104 or higher seems acceptable.

an easy way is to get the manager and show him what is on your door sticker for tires, or owners manual if door sticker isnt readable/missing

Originally Posted by Rand

P225/75R16 in load range 104 or higher seems acceptable.

an easy way is to get the manager and show him what is on your door sticker for tires, or owners manual if door sticker isnt readable/missing

100% agree; simply show them the placard, or owner's manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by totegoat
Its a pickup, put tires on it that can carry a load.

"P" rated tires can carry the pay load of a half-ton pickup.

FYI.

There are pmetric load range 108 xl load tires available too. good for 2,205 lbs each

Originally Posted by Rand
There are pmetric load range 108 xl load tires available too. good for 2,205 lbs each

Actually- I always run XL load on every (half-ton) pickup I have owned. I don't need LT-but like the slightly stiffer sidewall for towing my 5,500 pound travel trailer. However-the "OEM Ps" do a satisfactory job when towing aired near maximum inflation pressure.

The vehicle in question is a 2002 Chevrolet Blazer. The door placard calls for a passenger tire. I went back to Walmart while I was in town. I live 70 miles away. My intention was to put an LT tire on. They didn't keep my size in stock in an LT tire. The technician confirmed that it is Walmart Corporate policy that you can not put a passenger tire on a vehicle if it has an LT tire on it; even if it came from the factory with a passenger tire. I emailed Walmart Corporate for an explanation of this asinine policy.

I think we were all assuming it was the truck in your sig, since you didnt include any info. also that makes no sense.. they would actually be liable for putting on the WRONG tire if they put an LT tire on it. Walmart wont put any different size on already.

I think the tech just didnt want to do any more work that way.. unless you have left out other pertinent info. Really leaving the vehicle out of the first post makes it hard to have a good reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
in fact the only time I have ever been REQUIRED to sign a waiver was putting loading range E tires on my 2002 ranger (for offroading)

1-800-WALMART Call before leaving the store. Works 99% of the time. The other option is going up the chain of command (along with slightly raising your voice), but 1-800-walmart is usually quicker.

The vehicle in question is a 2002 Chevrolet Blazer. The door placard calls for a passenger tire. I went back to Walmart while I was in town. I live 70 miles away. My intention was to put an LT tire on. They didn't keep my size in stock in an LT tire. The technician confirmed that it is Walmart Corporate policy that you can not put a passenger tire on a vehicle if it has an LT tire on it; even if it came from the factory with a passenger tire. I emailed Walmart Corporate for an explanation of this asinine policy.

And I believe that is an appropriate step to take when dissatisfied with a store's policies or actions.

What is the reasoning for this?

And it is best to ask Walmart this question.

However, there is absolutely no need for labeling or calling the employee names, whether you like Walmart or not.

Let's please stick to technical details and refrain from non-technical banter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back