Drove a 6spd manual yesterday...don't miss it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Nick1994
A manual is fun occasionally. But for a daily driver? [censored] no.

I'd like a C6 Vette. Maybe one day I'll get one. It'll be an automatic.

You shift a manual automatically after you drive one for a while. It's like breathing.

And you let an automatic with paddles shift automatically soon after playing with the paddles a few times...

For me an automatic needs to have 3 things:

i) downshift rev matching;
ii) a "sport" setting (or a tow/haul mode); and
iii) paddles... but NOT for manumatic operation (I'll explain)

The transmission should have "range select"... meaning an easy way that you can choose the highest gear that you intend to allow it to get to. The paddles, for me, are a convenient way to operate the range select. The downshift rev matching for me is solely for handling down-gradients...

For me, I would let the automatic do its own shifting... I would only overide where the automatic can't "see" the road conditiins or foresee what's ahead.

Also, Sport mode is necessary to quell the tendency to get to high gear so relentlessly and soon.

Hmm. My cx5 has a sport mode, but I dont use it really. The rest of that stuff, other than as you note a turn coming up (it downshifts when I brake hard though), it just does near telepathically. A well tuned auto needs no frills to do great short of an actual track, imo

For reference, I drove an 7A 370z, and the transmission logic was terrible compared to my cx5. It's why I bought the 6M 370 and am just fine with the auto in my cx5.

Last edited:
For the first time in a long time, I no longer have a manual transmission.

My next car is a 6-speed Challenger.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Now your talking. I would go with the Charger so as to have that bit of Fleet car anonymity even though its not as pretty.

You could even put a pusher bar on the front.!

Can you get that with the 392, MT and cop suspension, cop tires and cop brakes?

V8 or V6 ?

Originally Posted by ndfergy
Originally Posted by wemay
I haven't owned a manual transmission equipped vehicle for some years. Yesterday I drove one for the day, my brother's 370z. It was fun for...ohhh...10 minutes. Before this drive I had nostalgic feelings but no more. Can you still be a car enthusiast and not want a manual transmission?

Absolutely. To me a car enthusiast is one that enjoys driving no matter what it is. Driving a manual can add to the pleasure but not always. I learned on a manual because that's what my father drove at the time. If he had an auto I might not have had the desire.

I'm with you here.

I haven't owned a manual transmission equipped vehicle for some years. Yesterday I drove one for the day, my brother's 370z. It was fun for...ohhh...10 minutes. Before this drive I had nostalgic feelings but no more. Can you still be a car enthusiast and not want a manual transmission?

Certain cars are let down by anything other than a manual transmission. I do not unilaterally love the manual transmission.

The 350Z needs a manual. MINIs need a manual. Every Porsche 911 prior to the PDK needs a manual. Would my Atlas be better with a manual transmission? I fail to see how.

I prefer the 370Z with the 7-speed auto.

Originally Posted by ndfergy

Absolutely. To me a car enthusiast is one that enjoys driving no matter what it is. Driving a manual can add to the pleasure but not always. I learned on a manual because that's what my father drove at the time. If he had an auto I might not have had the desire.

I'm with you here.

There's a certain amount of street cred/ego associated with driving a manual over here in N.A. because it's rare. In Europe, meh, most drive one. If I was to strap into a high performance car and run some lap times on a racetrack, I'm sure my times would be pitiful compared to a trained driver. We're never as good as we think we are.

[/quote]
There's a certain amount of street cred/ego associated with driving a manual over here in N.A. because it's rare. In Europe, meh, most drive one. If I was to strap into a high performance car and run some lap times on a racetrack, I'm sure my times would be pitiful compared to a trained driver. We're never as good as we think we are. [/quote]

Amen. Someone on a car forum was asking for buying advice and was told "if you're an enthusiast you'll want a manual". So I guess the tons of hours I've spent on mods and maintenance on my car doesn't make me an enthusiast because my car is auto.

Everything I own is a manual.
If you aren't driving a clutch-and-shifter car, you aren't really driving.
The mental focus required to pick your own gears makes you a better driver.
I dread the day my left knee gives out, and I can't drive a manual anymore.

Last edited:
I have an automatic in my Tacoma. I think it's a very good automatic.

In a small to mid-sized sedan that handles decently, id rather have a manual.

I would not buy a sports car if it wasn't a manual. I want to be engaged in driving.

I never realized how bad a slush box robs power until I took my motor out of my automatic Toyota pickup and put it into a manual pickup. Everything identical tire size and all. In the automatic version I seriously had trouble going 75/80mph on flat ground on the highway and any hill bogged it down. Once that same engine 22R went into the 5speed it was a night and day difference. Just unbelievable to me.
On that note I can't stand a automatic but currently everything I own is an automatic. I would so kill for a standard transmission in my 94 Ford E150 conversion van. It has the 5.8L plenty of power with the slush box but would be so much better with a 4/5 speed.
Oh and with a auto you can't even get to a speed to lock the torque converter in OD which I only need 42/43mph to keep it in OD convertor locked but even when the traffic is good people refuse to go the posted speed limit. It's like there all programmed to drive 41mph on 45/50mph posted zones. Drives me absolutely crazy.
Ya hear people [censored] all the time about how they babied there tranny and it still went out, that's probably because you have drove the dam thing 100,000 miles with the dam torque convertor unlocked and hunting gears at 41mph. The problem is they drive at the speed where the tranny continually is hunting for the proper gear/and or torque converter lock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by A_Harman

smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Now your talking. I would go with the Charger so as to have that bit of Fleet car anonymity even though its not as pretty.

You could even put a pusher bar on the front.!

Can you get that with the 392, MT and cop suspension, cop tires and cop brakes?

The reason I am looking at a Challenger is that the Charger is not available with the 6-speed.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

V8 or V6 ?

RT or SRT. The V6 only comes with the automatic.

Ok? Other than bumper to bumper traffic automatics are boring for me. Driving a manual always makes a somewhat mundane experience slightly exciting. It's all preference I'm not into incar tech at all so I think that's part of it

Traded-in my 5-speed manual vehicle on a brand new truck with 10 speed automatic in June and never looked back. The 10 speed is superior in every way and more fun to drive.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Ok? Other than bumper to bumper traffic automatics are boring for me. Driving a manual always makes a somewhat mundane experience slightly exciting. It's all preference I'm not into incar tech at all so I think that's part of it

I guess i am a bit of a Luddite with my '17 Mazda6 (bottom-trim-line) with 6MT too...

When I bought my Dually, I wanted the G56 6-speed manual. But the engine is those trucks was de-rated, and the towing capacity was greatly reduced. I know people often tow more than the trucks are rated for. But I wanted to stay within the manufacturer ratings, in case any problems cropped up. No issues so far, and the Aisin seems to work well.

I do still get to select my own gears in two of our cars. And of course the bikes.

To my way of thinking your second sentence is rather extreme. Having said this, in general you are I believe right in saying that your mental focus on the car tends to be higher driving a manual...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

To my way of thinking your second sentence is rather extreme. Having said this, in general you are I believe right in saying that your mental focus on the car tends to be higher driving a manual...

Yes, for a month in 2018, my Dodge was in the shop and I rented a Ford F250 with the Powerstroke and 6-speed auto. Very nice truck, but I found my attention wandering after many hours behind the wheel, and not particularly caring how fast I was going.

Last edited:
I love a good manual, but at the same time I find that depending on the car it may or may not make/break the car for me.

A good manual with tight, precise shifts and a clutch that's "just right" are a pleasure and I'd be happy to drive nothing else.

Crucify me if you will, but I find that many modern(ish) American cars have a clutch that ranges from a bit too heavy to way too heavy for my liking. As it tends toward the latter especially, I find them more tiring than enjoyable to drive. At the same time, I don't drive them SUPER often, and I'm sure I'd get use to it with some more miles so I won't crucify them too much. I want to like old British stuff, but every time I've seriously considered something like a Morris Minor the heavy clutch with less than an inch of pedal travel and the sloppy, floppy, move it 2 feet for every gear change stick turn me off really enjoying it.

Conversely, I find many Japanese cars-especially historically economy/commuter cars like the Civic-to have basically no clutch feel and overall just a sloppy feeling stick. I don't particularly ENJOY driving them, but they are easy to drive and could live with one.

Of modern cars, to me BMWs probably have the best overall package with just the right amount of clutch weight and a tight, precise shift throw.

At the same time, I really LEARNED manual driving(as opposed to elevating from "I know how to make the car move" to "I really could drive this car anywhere and it not phase me that it's a manual") on the MG in my signature, and I still hold it up as the standard to which manuals should be. The clutch is perfect, and even though the shift throw is a bit long by modern standards, it's tight and precise. I'm excited about FINALLY getting around to putting an overdrive in it-the transmission is sitting in my garage and awaiting my time to check it out and then get the motivation to pull the engine/transmission and install it. Of course I'm also debating with myself about having it rebuilt before putting it in, and also waiting until I finish the engine rebuild that's currently in the works so that I can do both at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back