purchased my first Supertech air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by researcher
I think it all depends on the application.. I looked at the ST for my 96 civic, they left out the metal mesh screen on the intake side. That prevents the filter from getting sucked into the intake tube! Might not matter but hey if Honda designed it with it, I'll follow that design protocol.. Maybe other applications are better from ST?? hmm...
smirk.gif

My most recent UOA cautioned about Silicon etc. Suggested to "seal things up tight.". I'm thinking different brands may seal better than others.

It shouldn't be a factor, but apparently it is.

Originally Posted by JGmazda
Originally Posted by researcher
I think it all depends on the application.. I looked at the ST for my 96 civic, they left out the metal mesh screen on the intake side. That prevents the filter from getting sucked into the intake tube! Might not matter but hey if Honda designed it with it, I'll follow that design protocol.. Maybe other applications are better from ST?? hmm...
smirk.gif

My most recent UOA cautioned about Silicon etc. Suggested to "seal things up tight.". I'm thinking different brands may seal better than others.

It shouldn't be a factor, but apparently it is.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I've seen an air filter change drop my Silicon 4PPM.

Exactly.. I've seen some aftermarket pass dirt through, hence the silicon numbers in the UOA were higher. It sealed well, it was the filter material (media) that was allowing dirt to get through. I'm not one to always support the OEM filter, but when the priced dropped for the genuine Honda filter I went back to it.. The following UOA was back to normal (low silicon)!

So yes different brands DO give different results.. And what makes it more difficult is just because one air filter from an aftermarket brand is good for one car doesn't mean it's good for another. Designs are different for different engines. Not all are created equal.. so how would you find out? trial and error..that's how I found out.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I've seen an air filter change drop my Silicon 4PPM.

Interesting and very good point jj... Remember that air filter efficiency test can use either coarse dust or fine dust... And there is a big difference between the two.

@bbhero.. interesting, here I thought they'd define the dust size for the efficiency test. So "any dust" is acceptable? WOW!! That's a huge variable un-accounted for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back