Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a similar observation yet different circumstance burla...

In my car when I changed the CVT fluid in it with the Eneos CVT fluid it became quieter over the next couple of hundred of miles. It was not instantly quieter when I first ran it after changing it... But it got quieter after about 100-200 miles... And continued that trend after that... A very interesting yet good change I observed in my car.

Originally Posted by burla
This from science direct,

The extreme pressure additives are sulfured compounds, chlorinated compounds and phosphorus-sulfur derivatives

But are any of those used in motor oils which come in contact with the products of combustion and water?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by burla
This from science direct,

The extreme pressure additives are sulfured compounds, chlorinated compounds and phosphorus-sulfur derivatives

But are any of those used in motor oils which come in contact with the products of combustion and water?

Why? Is there a concern about acid formation?

I dug up this old thread (below). It seems MoDTC interacts with the phosphate in zddp to better work synergistically??..but I don't know if this gets to your question. Also, wouldn't MoS2 potentially interact with combustion by-products? (i have pretty much zero knowledge of chemistry). I have no idea what form of moly is used in your typical pcmo, maybe MoDTC? (to avoid potential harmful interaction with combustion by-products?) Which makes me wonder about adding MoS2 to oil?? I've personally never used the stuff, not because of some "fear" but rather I just never felt the need to.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1060919

Last edited:
Yep, the thread has mentioned EP grease vs EP/AW adds, other non motor oil lubes - but the chemicals not always considered for the same purpose in motor oil vs gear oil or MTF for example.
The Stribeck curve must be considered (boundary, mixed, hydrodynamic, etc) - and low speed + high load is not treated like light load + high speed when the formulator is engineering the add pack.
There are also main modes of wear related to all these, and so on. Then there is bonding (some must be weaker by design, FM maybe?) since there is competition over the asperity region.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by MolaKule
It turns out to be about a 5W20:

Rislone Engine Treatment from quart bottle (32 oz.) version.

Physical Tests:
Viscosity (cSt 40C) 43.0
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.0

Additives (ppm):
Magnesium (Mg) 3
Calcium (Ca) 1935
Phosphorus (P) 422
Zinc (Zn) 503
Boron (B) 8

TMP Ester 11% by weight.

The amount of ZDDP is at a level to supplant the PCMO's ZDDP when this stuff is added.

There was a thread from way back that a guy from Rislone/Bar's chimed in on..he mentioned something about stuff that wouldn't show up on your typical VOA. I think one thing he mentioned was [N butyl] something of other (I'm sure I got that wrong but it was something like that), i forget exactly what it was.

Do you recall this thread by chance? Are you aware of any tests revealing what else might be inside their formula??

What purpose is the TMP serving in your opinion? A cleaner? VM?? Stabilizer?

The TMP would act as a slow cleaner.

The instrumentation that was available to me at the time of the analysis showed every component in this stuff. Chemistry I felt that may have been proprietary was not divulged.

I do know it cleaned a VVT valve in my '03 PathFinder.

I would only use it if I knew or suspected a component such as a hydraulic lifter or VVT valve was carboned.

Last edited:
No matter where moly is used (ep or friction modifier) ... we can conclude that everyone loves moly any it's good for the engine
shocked2.gif

how about a new SAE scale:
xxW-hths-moly (e.g. 0W3.7-800)
to replace:
xxWyy (e.g. 5W30)
grin2.gif

I've used Rislone off & on for at least 4-5 decades. I prefer the larger bottle over the smaller bottle concentrate.
It always did what I asked......... quiet a noise in my engine. Sometime permanently.

my sorento get a lifter tic if not driven regularly. I used marvel mystry oil and it went away and so far hasn't come back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back