Blend door motor reset

Status
Not open for further replies.
The heater is "clicking" on my 1994 GMC Sierra. Sounds like a blend door motor. Mechanic friend stated that some of the newer ones have a reset procedure when you disconnect the battery. I just put a new battery in this vehicle. Is there a blend door motor reset procedure for this vehicle? Where can I find a link to that procedure?

The blend door motor likely has stripped teeth on the internal plastic gears. No reset will fix that.

There is no reset procedure for these trucks on the blend door. Its either stripped teeth like mattd said or the blend door itself is stuck on something, possibly debris. Also could be both, sometimes some debris will cause the gears to strip out duet to the force applied to the old plastic. You can take most of the HVAC assembly apart without having to pull the dash and even replace the blend door motor with some patience with the dash intact except for pulling out the glove box area. I'd pull it apart, check for debris, and then replace the blend door motor if it still won't work with it apart.

There is a synchronization/reset procedure on YouTube. I haven't tried it but my 2005 has had the click for about 5 years. I just move the drivers side temp setting an inch or so and it stops clicking.

Originally Posted by super20dan
common gm truck problem. garbage desighn and parts. plastic gears

Such garbage it only lasted 25 years
smirk2.gif

common gm truck problem. garbage design and parts. plastic gears

Just like every other vehicle with electric HVAC door actuators! I've replaced them on Fords, Chryslers, Hondas, Toyotas, & GM vehicles.

If the clicking is heard after you shut the truck down......It's the Recirculation Door Actuator that's faulty! The Recirculation Door is opened after shut down to help the doors close easier!

As a long time GM buyer, I come here to write down common problems I've never had, (not)

It is a common failure on GMT400 trucks, But was also cutting edge technology for a pick-up at the time while Ford & Chrysler was still using Vacuum & Cables.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
common gm truck problem. garbage design and parts. plastic gears

Just like every other vehicle with electric HVAC door actuators! I've replaced them on Fords, Chryslers, Hondas, Toyotas, & GM vehicles.

Yep.... Replaced the one in the 2001 Windstar when I had it.

2 minutes to pull the radio, 3-4 minutes to change the actuator,
- - - slide the radio back in, and test.

About 10 minutes from start to finish!!
I *love* easy fixes like that!

I'm in the poor design camp. The sliding cables worked fine. Why change that so someone can push a button and see a pretty light?

I'm going to have to change the actuator in our 2005 Pontiac Vibe now for the 4th time. There isn't even a limit control for the electric motor. The motor is always trying to turn against the resistance of the door position and as mentioned, the plastic gear teeth strip. In contrast, the Toyota Matrix (same car except for the HVAC) used a different design that does not have this problem so it's obvious which one was the better design.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cressida
I'm going to have to change the actuator in our 2005 Pontiac Vibe now for the 4th time. There isn't even a limit control for the electric motor. The motor is always trying to turn against the resistance of the door position and as mentioned, the plastic gear teeth strip. In contrast, the Toyota Matrix (same car except for the HVAC) used a different design that does not have this problem so it's obvious which one was the better design.

Good to know since I have an 05 Matrix. Whew, one less thing to worry about.

Originally Posted by dishdude
common gm truck problem. garbage desighn and parts. plastic gears

Such garbage it only lasted 25 years
smirk2.gif

Right? I'm honestly surprised this vintage had electronic actuators for the blend doors. I thought they were all cable/mechanical on these trucks back then and I owned a 1994 C1500 and a 1998 K1500.

FWIW, it seems like every time you open the door on my 2017 Ram 1500, you can hear blend doors actuating. The vehicle could be stone cold and have not been used in days. Our 2013 Grand Caravan was the same. Lets take a fragile and ridiculous component to get at and cycle it way more than it should!

Last edited:
mine failed in year 8 . its a99. my neighbors 04 has had the same blend door actuator fail 2x . its a garbage desighn built with garbage parts and gm dosnt care. still using the same parts in the newer models .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back