Amazon Packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by CT Rob
Ive bought things that were barely bigger than a pack of gum or deck of cards and they shipped it in a 11x14 envelope.Bit over kill. Had things come in a box that was way bigger than it should have been.

I received 1 USB thumb drive in a 11x14 bubble mailer before lol.

Smaller packaging gets lost more often. If a driver has enveloped that are all the same size regardless of what is in them, that makes for easier and efficient handling and delivery.

Put yourself in the drivers position. If you find a small envelope that slipped away and should have been delivered 10-15 miles back then the time wasted going back or delaying the package altogether is crucial. These drivers are on schedules and have to meet time standards.

That makes sense. A close friend of mine used to drive for both UPS freight and ground and told me how crazy efficient their process was; it's like a science.

Last edited:
Amazon has ads in England about their warehouse tours (in select facilities) to dispel the image of running [censored] holes.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Amazon has ads in England about their warehouse tours (in select facilities) to dispel the image of running [censored] holes.

They don't do tours at all their facilities.

I've noticed Amazon has degraded in their packaging. I've gotten a few things that were slightly crushed because they just throw it in one of those thinly padded plastic envelopes instead of putting it in a cardboard box.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
I ordered a pair of insulated jeans from Amazon, and they arrived today in a HUGE box, big enough to hold a large microwave oven. And as is often the case with Amazon, the packaging tape was barely adhering to the cardboard. Doesn't Amazon train their packagers?

Yes, they package things with the whole truckload in mind, and it's very well controlled. They use various box sizes with load, weights etc. In mind to fit as much product as possible in a shipment. It doesnt make sense to you, seeing just 1 box, but it saves fuel and cost on the back end.

Originally Posted by Pew

That makes sense. A close friend of mine used to drive for both UPS freight and ground and told me how crazy efficient their process was; it's like a science.

It actually is a science.. The college degree is called ISM = Integrative Supply Management.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back