Slick 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching the drag races and in the pro stock motorcycle the driver had a Slick 50 Sponsor Sticker .
I thought this stuff was snake oil. Has anything changed? Thank you

Curious to know if Slick50 has been bought out or how many times over the years. I have old Slick50 advertisements from the '80s when it was in a 1qt can, just the way motor oil use to be.

Was owned by Shell awhile back, came with the purchase of Quaker state.
I think shell/SOPUS sold off the name to Xcel/ITW brands shortly after.

The mid 2000s Quaker State High Mileage w/ Slick 50 was an amazing oil, was a precursor to Defy and was essentially scrubbing bubbles for your engine what made it even better was the low price tag when it was discontinued, 39cents a quart!

Sigh, back before HM oils had API and manufacturers specs, those were the days.

Last edited:
No idea what it is now. Back when it started it was promoted as using PTFE/Teflon in it's formula, just a bad idea. Fram jumped on the craze with a PTFE treated media filter called the "Double Guard". If you read the link you can see why, another terrible idea.

The link says Slick 50 no longer uses PTFE, also seems a decent history on Slick 50. It used to be part of SOPUS, but it was spun off to ITW Global Brands now. That's the Gumout, RainX, Blue Coral, Black Magic parent company.

http://skepdic.com/slick50.html

Did that driver also have RainX, Gumout, Blue Coral stickers on the car? If ITW is sponsoring him then all they would want all their brands showing.

Just like when you see a KFC, Pizza Hut and a Taco Bell on the same street or intersection. One company owns that.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
If you feel like you need to add something to your oil to make it "better," then you need to use better oil.

Not necessarily - even when I use Redline, I still feel the need to add a bottle of LiquiMoly Mos2 for 'good measure'

Originally Posted by Olas
If you feel like you need to add something to your oil to make it "better," then you need to use better oil.

Not necessarily - even when I use Redline, I still feel the need to add a bottle of LiquiMoly Mos2 for 'good measure'

You're diluting an oil with trinuclear MoDTC down with MoS2? Why? That's like cutting 93% lean ground sirloin with 73% ground beef for "good measure."

I still stand by that statement. If Red Line isn't sufficient, there's always Driven, HPL, and LAT.

Originally Posted by Olas

Redline + LiquiMoly Mos2 + Schaeffers Moly EP + STP oil treatment all mixed into one is actually the recipe to never again have to change your oil.

It's TRUE.
15.gif

Last edited:
I believe the FTC sued Slick 50 for making false and misleading claims in
their marketing for Slick 50 back in late 90s. I figured that slick 50 was sued out of existence. Of course I dont ever frequent the snake oil sections of auto part stores, I just get my parts and get out. Slick 50's record is troubling to say the least. If a company like slick 50 has to lie about their product, then why would anyone trust the product in their engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back