2010 Honda Element 197k miles valvetrain pictrures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All:

Time to adjust the valves. I last did them at 100K miles. All were tight back then, the exhaust valves in particular.

I am the original owner of this vehicle. It has 197k miles on it. Aside from a 500 and 2500 mile OCI when new, starting at 5k miles it's been on a 5k mile OCIs since then (using Honda OEM A01 filters until just recently). With only a few exceptions it's had a life of Castrol Edge 0W-20 or 5W-20 for the first 150k miles or so, and 5W-30 Edge since then. All three UOAs have shown outstanding wear behavior.

I'm very happy with what I see. My maintenance schedule and Castrol seem to have served this engine well. My Element has been the most trouble free, inexpensive to operate vehicle I've ever owned. I am confident it will make 300k miles with nothing more than routine maintenance, gas, and tires. I absolutely love this thing!

Enjoy,

Scott

IMG_2936.jpeg

IMG_2940.jpeg

IMG_2939.jpeg

IMG_2938.jpeg

IMG_2937.jpeg

IMG_2935.jpeg

Very nice. The Honda 2.4L is a great engine. Just curious, does yours use any oil?

Originally Posted by buster
Very nice. The Honda 2.4L is a great engine. Just curious, does yours use any oil?

I always check the oil level right before I change it. At this point in its life it'll only be down about 1/8 quart. Max.

Scott

The mighty K24. Our 2006 TSX has 194K and is perfect.
I recently replaced the ignition coils; it made a difference.
Honda got that engine right.
Your diligent services have kept the internals spotless. Well done.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

It looks so clean
20.gif

You're welcome. I take care of my stuff. The driver's seat at 197k. And I'm 6'5" and 250 pounds. It takes no extra time to sit in the seat "right".

Scott

IMG_2921.jpeg

IMG_2920.jpeg

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The mighty K24. Our 2006 TSX has 194K and is perfect.
I recently replaced the ignition coils; it made a difference.
Honda got that engine right.
Your diligent services have kept the internals spotless. Well done.

Thank you. Off topic. I lived in Los Gatos since 1958. We moved to the Central Coast in 2005.

Scott

Gotta love the K24. I have 192k miles on my 05 Accord. Only negative is it burns some oil but it had a hard 100k miles on it before I got it.

Sad the K24 is gone for 2020...

Originally Posted by bbhero
Looks great.... Good for another 200,000 miles
smile.gif

400k miles, I honestly believe that's possible. When the motor dies it will be because of metal fatigue. It'll drop a valve, crack a piston, or snap a rod. The K24 motor won't simply "wear out".

Original paint, black paint. That's my reflection in the driver's door!

Scott

IMG_0925.jpeg

IMG_0924.jpeg

IMG_0921-2.jpeg

That's what I believe too....

400,000+ is really truly possible.... I am at 290,500 miles on my car right now... I am thinking 400,000 miles is possible in my car.

I have a 2008 Honda CRV (wife's car, soon to be my daughter's)...140,000 miles, knock on wood not a single issue other than the exhaust is leaking at a flange and the rear end and tranny seep a little where the case is split. Thing has been so reliable and trouble free.

I adjusted my valves at 100,000 miles, exhaust valves were tight.

When we first got it we did 6,000 mile oil changes using conventional 5w20. Now I do 5,000 mile intervals using whatever synthetic I can get my hands on. Uses ZERO oil between changes. Only car in the family I don't have to worry about. I do a drain and fill on the transmission and rear end every year, and the coolant every other year. Spark plugs were done at 100k and the air filters are changed every other year.

But this is the one vehicle in the family (out of three) that I don't care about; despite reasonable maintenance I'd call it "neglected"...it's hardly every washed, waxed maybe once a year...more dings and scratches than I can count. Don't care where we take it or where we park it. Needs tires right now, front brakes and the exhaust. I'll get to it when I get to it. It's not a "fun" vehicle, it's not "nice", it's a little loud, it feels a little tinny, a little flimsy...but in some way I absolutely love this thing. Great in the snow. Great on gas. Drives pretty straight down the road. This is what a commuter car should be.

Wow you take very good care of your Honda. The entire car shows extreme attention to detail. If I lived closer to you I would buy you some shoe polish
for those neglected shoes your are wearing.
cheers3.gif
Thanks for sharing the awesome pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back