Base oil different in 0W vs 5W?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just how much difference can there be in the base oil of a 0W vs a 5W in a same brand/same specs oil. Take the latest versions of Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 and Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 for instance. Other than pour point depressants or some other additive in one or the other, what could the differentiation be?

Assuming you are talking about synthetic, the 0w vs 5w would likely be a different blend of low and high visc synthetic base. This usually means the 0w one will have more low and high visc while the 5w will be more in the middle. When this happen the long term result is the lower visc base will evaporate / burn off in long drain, so the oil has a higher volatility.

The higher end long drain oil like Mobil1 EP will likely use PAO for the lower visc base to reduce that.

Unless it's changed very recently, 0W20 is always going to be a synthetic base. 5W20 can be full, blend, or conventional. So, there can be huge differences.

However, it's always a point of contention here on the board if: 1. the base oil is more important, or 2. data shows that the higher the spread between the W rating and the oil weight makes the oil less stable, but 3. 0W40s should be terrible, yet they meet and hold some of the highest certifications available.

So... long story short, if both the 0W and 5W versions meet your engine's requirements, you will be able to discern no difference in operation.

a look at noacks on better real synthetics aka redline shows the overall thinner oils to have more burn off, so unless in extreme cold the slightly thicker 10-30's are a better choice as everyone is stretching their oil changes to save a little $$$ while possibly compromising protection. with many trading often any issues will be found by the next owner looking to see 200 thou

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

So... long story short, .

.....you are GTGO with 10w40
smile.gif
Shell rimula with GTL or Shell helix with XHVI....

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Unless it's changed very recently, 0W20 is always going to be a synthetic base. 5W20 can be full, blend, or conventional. So, there can be huge differences.

However, it's always a point of contention here on the board if: 1. the base oil is more important, or 2. data shows that the higher the spread between the W rating and the oil weight makes the oil less stable, but 3. 0W40s should be terrible, yet they meet and hold some of the highest certifications available.

So... long story short, if both the 0W and 5W versions meet your engine's requirements, you will be able to discern no difference in operation.

Agree 99% only thing I'd say any different as that while some 5-20s are called conventional...I honestly don't think we have any tru conventional oils any more. Many of the "conventional" oils have proven to blends in their pds etc and have for a long time...dare I say since SN came into play perhaps even SM.

Agree also that 0w40s shoot holes in the w to viscosity spreads being less stable

*Would a 10W30 offer less start up protection than a 5W30 ?
Originally Posted by benjy
a look at noacks on better real synthetics aka redline shows the overall thinner oils to have more burn off, so unless in extreme cold the slightly thicker 10-30's are a better choice as everyone is stretching their oil changes to save a little $$$ while possibly compromising protection. with many trading often any issues will be found by the next owner looking to see 200 thou

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Would a 10W30 offer less start up protection than a 5W30 ?
Originally Posted by benjy

My thought on that has always been, would a 10W30 leave a better residual film on the upper end vs a 0W draining down? I may be completely wrong.

For the heavier grades, sometimes 5W40 would be a Group III synthetic, while 0W40 would be a PAO Group IV synthetic.

I believe that is why Edge 5W40 is MB 229.3, while Edge 0W40 is MB 229.5 as it meets the lower Noack volatility requirements of the higher spec (10%) by using PAO.

Of course you could make a PAO based 5W40 that is even less volatile again, but that is a rare beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back