Premium Guard PG111 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
…... It was revealed that the filters I received have date codes from 2012....
Which would indicate the first two digits correspond to the year made. Looking at the subsequent pics with other date codes, I surmised as much after my initial guess. What's interesting is the 14 PG are made Korea same as topic which is after 13 PG made in China.

As noted earlier, the current AZ STP line where the XL made in China looks very similar to or same as PG XL. Coo holds true for the current STP blue line which I might speculate similar to China made PG here.

As for the PG rep's comment's posted, "Waayyyy" out of line 'imo'. "Your engine will not last another year"? Not only does he rep PG filters but he can predict the future too. Amazing. 'Based on all his comments', zero respect for him. Overzealous imo in his defense of the filter here. Perhaps someone needs to inform him they were purchased at Rock Auto. If he has a problem, as he clearly does with his "wonder", he should contact them. Not trash the purchaser/user with innuendo.

All that said, as noted in my initial post here, 'imo' had the topic filter been run 3-5k mi./6 month oci it 'likely' would have been ok. While it should be able to handle the vehicle recommended oci/fci, I think a look at the OF manufacturer's recommended use, good practice in real use. My .02

Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
I am not here to hurt the reputation of a company that does not truly deserve it. It isn't their fault that a retailer sent me old stock and that I didn't realize it. It would be unfair for me to say that those filters are an accurate representation of what Premium Guard is shipping out today.

As far as the oil filter that was used on my car, I am fine with calling that a misunderstanding.

Now that Premium Guard is here, they have an excellent opportunity to give us a first hand look at the level of product value and customer service they are offering.

Maybe the Premium Guard Rep should send you some currently manufactured filters for some virgin cut & posts.

If he understood that the bad looking filter was made a long time ago, and that things have improved in the design and manufacturing quality, then he should have said so in his email to you.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
I wrote them and they said the filter is 8 years old.

This is really an interesting posting. It is so disturbing to ready such level of disinformation.

The filter was produced in 2012… I wonder how is a filter this old after 8 years found its way to your vehicle?
Even extended life filter as well as OE are to be replaced at 10,000 or 1 year.. not 19 months
When you use a filter, any filter, for extended duration you must have full synthetic oil. Regardless of the filter the sudge build up in your engines is outrageous.. you engine will not last another year

I would appreciate it if you call me to discuss further

Anan Bishara |

Direct: (212) 344-3322

Main: (212) 344-2200 Ext. 111

HQ: 90 Broad St, Ste 1504,New York, NY 10004

Main DC: 4770 Hickory Hill Rd, Memphis, TN 38141

Do they know that both Ford and FCA brand oils are Syn Blends and in some appications recommend 10k mile ocis?

10k or one year?
Hope they know to warn users who use their PG4612 which fits on some Hondas. Who recommend 7.5k ocis/1 year and a filter change every other year, so the filter SHOULD be able to handle 2 years/15k mi

I kinda wanna call this person myself.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
The "rep" Anan Bishara is the CEO of Premium Guard.

Wow.
33.gif

Nothing wrong with op's statements. This is a free country where this site is located. 2019-2012 is 7 not 8. I prefer established name brand makers, filters are cheap from them.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
As for the PG rep's comment's posted, "Waayyyy" out of line 'imo'. "Your engine will not last another year"? Not only does he rep PG filters but he can predict the future too. Amazing. 'Based on all his comments', zero respect for him. Overzealous imo in his defense of the filter here. Perhaps someone needs to inform him they were purchased at Rock Auto. If he has a problem, as he clearly does with his "wonder", he should contact them. Not trash the purchaser/user with innuendo.

Yeah, not a good "customer service" rep for sure.
I know when I had an issue withe an Ecogard filter, I contacted them, and they responded quickly and appropriately, acknowledge the problem I had, gave a possible explanation for it, as well as sending me a few freebies (filters and some other swag)

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Maybe the Premium Guard Rep should send you some currently manufactured filters for some virgin cut & posts.

If they want to send me a box of 12 to replace the old stock I received, I would be willing to give an accurate and unbiased report of what I see.

I gave my email address to Jimzz to forward to Premium Guard. They asked me to call their phone number, but this is low priority for me so email is best. Of course, they can also register and post here as well.

As our first post on here, I would like to thank this site and everyone who participates in the forum for being passionate about oil filtration. The topics discussed on here are very important to our industry and it is great to see so many forum members that are willing to share their knowledge and experiences with the user community.

To address the current thread, we appreciate Pyrotechnic presenting the thorough details of the product that was received, the conditions the product was subjected to, and the observations that followed. We can't recommend and won't debate a standard OEM replacement filter being used for longer than the recommended oil change interval. I believe we all agree that this filter was used longer than recommended and while Pyrotechnic's post was an honest opinion of what was observed from that use, it is not a fair evaluation of the intended performance of the filter.

It is unfortunate that the product received was older and from a several year production span, which is out of our control. I believe everyone would understand that the design of our product may change over a three-year period, as represented by Pyrotechnic's sampling, and certainly would change over a seven-year period, with the oldest filter being from 2012. We pride ourselves with the quality and performance of our product and work diligently with our manufacturing partners to accomplish this, which can be seen by the positive cut review of the more robust design change.

Per your last post, we would like to send you some of our current filters for you to use and compare as you choose. We believe that you will be satisfied with the design and construction, as well as the performance of the filter within the vehicles recommended oil change interval.

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for taking the time to join and address this situation. I would be glad to accept your offer of some fresh stock filters. I sent you a private message with my shipping information.

In the meantime, I have some questions that I think may be useful to discuss here.

For your conventional oil filters:
Maximum number of miles in service?
Maximum number of months in service?
What type of media do these filters use? (examples - pure cellulose, glass-enhanced cellulose, synthetic)
What is the micron rating and efficiency percentage for these filters? (example - 30 micron at 98.7%)

For your extended life oil filters:
Maximum number of miles in service?
Maximum number of months in service?
What type of media do these filters use?
What is the micron rating and efficiency percentage for these filters?

Is there a general recommended shelf life for your oil filters, assuming no extreme temperatures or extreme humidity? Is there an absolute maximum age where the filter should not be used?

What is the date code format for current filters?

Originally Posted by Premium_Guard
It is unfortunate that the product received was older and from a several year production span, which is out of our control. I believe everyone would understand that the design of our product may change over a three-year period, as represented by Pyrotechnic's sampling, and certainly would change over a seven-year period, with the oldest filter being from 2012.

Unfortunately, I bought a dozen of these from RockAuto and I'm outside of the return period.

^^^
That's why I will never buy oil filters from Rock Auto. They are a clearing house for old stock, so who knows how old some of the parts are that they sell.

Thanks for chiming in Premium Guard.

It is unfortunate that the product received was older and from a several year production span, which is out of our control. I believe everyone would understand that the design of our product may change over a three-year period, as represented by Pyrotechnic's sampling, and certainly would change over a seven-year period, with the oldest filter being from 2012.

Unfortunately, I bought a dozen of these from RockAuto and I'm outside of the return period.

^^^
That's why I will never buy oil filters from Rock Auto. They are a clearing house for old stock, so who knows how old some of the parts are that they sell.

True, they seem to have a lot of old stuff. I've had good luck with the stuff I've bought off there though. I did have a tear one time, it was on a Wix offshoot.

Speaking of Rock Auto, I can't find Premium Guard filters in their catalog anymore. Just a few days ago they were there, and now they are not. There are only a few PG part numbers left in their system, and they are all on wholesaler closeout. Is everyone else seeing the same thing?

Speaking of Rock Auto, I can't find Premium Guard filters in their catalog anymore. Just a few days ago they were there, and now they are not. There are only a few PG part numbers left in their system, and they are all on wholesaler closeout. Is everyone else seeing the same thing?

I just checked, it seems the filter selection is a lot smaller in general. There used to be a lot more options. I didn't see Premium Guard filters and I know they were in there before.
Side note, did you notice Rock Auto is selling Valvoline oil now? They had just AC Delco before but now there's Valvoline im qts and jugs.

Originally Posted by WiskyBadger

I just checked, it seems the filter selection is a lot smaller in general. There used to be a lot more options. I didn't see Premium Guard filters and I know they were in there before.
Side note, did you notice Rock Auto is selling Valvoline oil now? They had just AC Delco before but now there's Valvoline im qts and jugs.

Theyve always sold Domestic OEM Oils, ACDelco, Motorcraft, and Maxpro

^^^

The "clearing house for old stock" is only true of the "wholesale closeout parts". The non closeout parts seem to come off the same shelves as everyone else's parts.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted by WiskyBadger

Theyve always sold Domestic OEM Oils, ACDelco, Motorcraft, and Maxpro
Right but not Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back