Review: My 2011 Prius turned 200K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this morning, my daily driver turned 200K. I am the original owner.

Repairs: Headgasket failure at 185k, MAF Sensor failure at 153K and an intermediate steering shaft (u-joint became "sloppy") at around 150K.

Maintenance: Oil Changes with every 10k from 0-90k, then every 5K. Most oil changes have been with 0w20 synthetic, some have been with 5w-30. No oil consumption so far. Air/Cabin Filters every 30K, transaxle has been serviced every 30K with ATF-WS. Brake Fluid flushed every 30-45K. Coolant (engine and inverter) was done at 30k, 92k, 122k, 180K and 185k. Thermostat was done at 122k and again when the HG was replaced. Both electric water pumps (engine and inverter) were replaced at 180K for maintenance. The EGR was cleaned at 180K as well but was not blocked. Front Lower Control Arms were replaced at around 97K with OE because the bushings became "squeaky" but were not cracked; the issue has recently surfaced again. Struts and Shocks have both been replaced twice with OE, but was probably not needed. Spark plugs were replaced at 92k, 180k and 185K. PCV valve was replaced at 180K. 12V Battery was replaced in 2015.

Hybrid Battery: Still original, but displaying some signs of weakness with A/C use. I have reconditioned it a few times with the Prolong system but with only short-term improvements. Current cost on a new one is about $2500 from Toyota.

Fuel Economy: I stopped keeping track several years ago but it is usually in the low 40's with mixed driving.

Conclusion: It has been a great daily driver minus the head gasket issue. The car carries a lot of cargo (compared to a Corolla/Civic), delivers excellent fuel economy and is reasonably easy to work on.

prius 200k.jpg

Very nice and congrats! Thanks for the cool updates

Are you planning on keeping the vehicle for many more years?

Well this is going to put the thickies in a tizzy. 200k on the watery thin 0w20?

The Prius has served you well. May it run for another 200k.

If you want to replace the battery, you can do it for about half the parts cost compared to Toyota:

Originally Posted by PimTac
Well this is going to put the thickies in a tizzy. 200k on the watery thin 0w20?

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As with many BITOGisms proven false that your motor won't last with the "water thin" oil.

200k is nice round number, but I'm not sure why we're celebrating a car that needed a head gasket before 200k.

Modern Toyotas are not as they were back in the late 90s-2000s..

Originally Posted by spavel6
200k is nice round number, but I'm not sure why we're celebrating a car that needed a head gasket before 200k.

Yeah, I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade either but this seems like a ton of work and money to get a Toyota to 200k...

Sure its great if a vehicle makes it 200 K with no repairs, but I like seeing people with the perseverance enough to get the repairs done and carry on. I can't stand quitters unless the car is too rusty to keep going.

I met a guy from Eastern Europe at the Pick and Pull. He said he could not believe the cars showing up at the yard with almost nothing wrong. And it's true. But hey, sign up for car payments and you are back in business!.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I've run the Redline 0w20 the last 160000 miles. I hardly consider it watery or thin at 2.9HTHS. I think keeping clean oil and getting it up to operating temperature is a big part of why some cars last the way they do. Seems 200k is the new 100k mileage milestone. Congrats on the journey and taking care of your automobile.

Originally Posted by ad244
Very nice and congrats! Thanks for the cool updates

Are you planning on keeping the vehicle for many more years?

Honestly not sure -- my vehicle needs may change in the next few years.

Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
Originally Posted by spavel6

Yeah, I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade either but this seems like a ton of work and money to get a Toyota to 200k...

I do not disagree with you, but at the same time, I can think of many cars which would have required more work to get to 200K.

This car's life may have ended at 185k if I had to hire someone for the HG repair; the quotes were between $4-$5K in my area.

I think for most of these newer disposable cars, 150K is a good time to part ways if you want to avoid most expensive repairs. For German cars, it may be even sooner.

Originally Posted by spasm3
How many of those miles were with the engine running vs electric power?

Originally Posted by Marco620
Good question!!!

The gas engine is always running at speeds over 42 mph and during moderate to heavy acceleration at any speed.

Last edited:
Good report, I have been eyeing a used ones, not sure why though.

Yikes, 4k for a head gasket job? wow, what was the reason for failure? heat warping?

Originally Posted by stockrex
Good report, I have been eyeing a used ones, not sure why though.

Yikes, 4k for a head gasket job? wow, what was the reason for failure? heat warping?

Toyota wants the subframe dropped for the head gasket repair so the labor time reflects this.

Labor rates are $150-$200/hr here.

The HG issue is common on the Gen 3 Prius 1.8L (10-15) at high mileage. No one knows why, but there have been some theories about it being related to the EGR.

Capture.PNG

Originally Posted by spasm3
How many of those miles were with the engine running vs electric power?

Based upon what I've observed with my Accord, I'd guess that at least 20K of those miles were probably in EV mode, although the Accord does allow EV operation at any speed and you'll even see brief periods of it in highway use at higher speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back