2016 Accord 11,513 Miles Mobil1 5w-30 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image from skiesunlimited.com]

Sample #1 was dealer oil and filter. Samples #2 and #3 were M1 0w-20EP. Sample #4 was M1 5w-30 EP with Mobil 1 M110A filter. Blackstone universal averages are based upon approximately 8000 miles. Iron still seem a little high, but not in an alarming sort of way.

Iron is about normal. On a per mile basis, about average.
Smart to go to a 5w30 since for some reason that thing fuel dilutes too much. Thought it was only Honda's current 1.5L turbo that thins out these days.
Your ending 9.16 kv100 is technically a 20 weight, but on the high side of course.
Fram Ultra would be a step up.
No big problems here. With the dilution, I'd not go past 8,000 miles just to make sure the gasoline doesn't blacken the ringlands too much over time.

Originally Posted by paoester
Fram Ultra would be a step up.
Fram Ultra XG7317 went on. Prior two samples were XG7317 to the best of my recollection. Looking at the insolubles we see this last run was the best to date, and also the longest. Other that the $1 saved by using a Fram Ultra, there doesn't appear to be much of a real world difference.

Nice to compare TBN and Viscosity in the same engine on two flavors of M1 EP - 0w20 and 5w30.

Also interesting that the dealer fill xw20 did as well as M1 0w20 EP.

Imagine 25 PPM of Iron if you did a 15K change, and maybe even a downward trend. still not too bad!
Good call on the 5w-30 flavor since it thinned out slightly.

I prefer getting the full life out of the vehicle's engine, versus full life out of the oil.
But rock-on M-1 anyways. I have a couple five quart jugs to use in 2020. Intended use is inside my wife's non-GDI Kia Soul 2.0. But never beyond a 5K OCI.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I prefer getting the full life out of the vehicle's engine, versus full life out of the oil.

Same here.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Same here.

^^ Me too ^^

Last edited:
Looks like the circus is in town! You guys all ride together?

Guy had a tbn of over 3...engine life and oil life are not mutually exclusive contrary to any ill founded obsessions you may have.

Last edited:
But rock-on M-1 anyways. I have a couple five quart jugs to use in 2020. Intended use is inside my wife's non-GDI Kia Soul 2.0. But never beyond a 5K OCI.

BLAH BLAH. Be quiet already!

Same here.

Haha the oil is not even close to using up it's full life.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Same here.

Great. The OP should stretch it out as long as he possibly can, "if" that's what "he" wants to do. At least he had the good sense to get a UOA and not follow blanket statements.
wink.gif
I'm confident and comfortable with my OCIs based on UOA data and expert analysis of them. I suggest others do the same. My concern would have been fuel dilution, and the impact it might have pushing that oil longer, [long term] but hey B_S said it was fine.

Same here.

Great. The OP should stretch it out as long as he possibly can, "if" that's what "he" wants to do. At least he had the good sense to get a UOA and not follow blanket statements.
wink.gif
I'm confident and comfortable with my OCIs based on UOA data and expert analysis of them. I suggest others do the same. My concern would have been fuel dilution, and the impact it might have pushing that oil longer, [long term] but hey B_S said it was fine.
Actually my goal is to find an oil and filter combination that will allow for a safe and effective six month OCI on this vehicle. This latest UOA seems to show that we've found the ticket on that. There is M1 0w-20EP in the sump now, but I think this will be a 5w-30 car going forward. I think I will dump that oil when the weather gets warm, switch back to 5w-30, and never think about it again.

Originally Posted by alarmguy

Same here.

^^ Me too ^^

Me +3 ^^^

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Looks like the circus is in town! You guys all ride together?

Guy had a tbn of over 3...engine life and oil life are not mutually exclusive contrary to any ill founded obsessions you may have.

Agree. TBN > 3 is a pretty conservative oil change decision point.

I personally have decided to not go lower than 3, but on the other hand, Mobil have tested their products and know a lot more than all of us!

The reason for not wanting to go below a 3 TBN is?

Guidance from a variety of experts.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
The reason for not wanting to go below a 3 TBN is?

Guidance from a variety of experts.

Please cite were this advice was obtained I do not recall reading a "expert" providing such guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back