Fuel Tanker Driver Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
When Shell talks about all three grades being nitrogen enriched they only talk about cleaning abilities.
https://www.shell.us/motorist/shell-fuels/shell-nitrogen-enriched-gasolines.html

But when they talk about the V-Powerd Nirto+ they add corrosion, wear and friction.
https://www.shell.us/motorist/shell-fuels/shell-v-power-nitro-plus-premium-gasoline.html

So I would say it's a different additive package.

Yup that's what I had always thought too. Recently I've become curious if in reality the same exact additives are put into all grades of Shell (or Exxon etc), but just at different percentages - premium containing the highest % obviously. Which means omitting the "corrosion, wear, and friction" language from the benefits of regular-grade is a marketing tactic to push people toward purchasing the more expensive and profitable product. I figure maybe GoldDot40 might know since he works around the terminal and might be able to see if there is a dedicated storage tank of additives just for premium.

Originally Posted by Deo
Companies like Shell and Exxon are specifically advertising the additive benefits in their premium fuels (anti-friction for example). Is the additive package actually different in premium fuel, or is it simply a higher percentage of the same stuff found in regular-grade? I have a hard time believing there are separate storage tanks at the terminal for these supposedly "premium-only" additives which they advertise, but maybe I'm wrong.

Finally got to talk to one of the terminal operators who is a bit more "talkative" than the others. He is also likely the most technical of all of them. Brought this up this morning. Here's the scoop.

ExxonMobil premium gets the exact same additive as Regular Unleaded...it's just right at 3X the amount of regular.

Food for thought, Chevron's Techron additive mixed at .01% is just as potent as EM's additive at their blend rate.

That information is close enoughverifies what these say...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These tests were done a number of years ago... Yet they show a significant difference between 93 and 87. Now today it is 3 times as much between regular and premium.

I am also a fuel transport driver, if the station has blender pumps it is done at store. If they don't you have to load mid grade at the rack

Is there a specific unbranded blend for Murphy aka Walmart or does it vary by terminal and region?

What about RaceWay? Jetpep? ( Jetpep May be regional to me in Birmingham)

Those are the discount fuel retailers in my area.

I don't deliver to either of those, so I can't say for certain what their contracts specify. I just know they are indeed "unbranded" product, which is why you don't see a specific brand on the awning or marquee sign. I believe Speedway has ties with Marathon, so they are likely pumping Marathon unbranded product.

Marathon and speedway have not split yet. But it is coming. I want to say Q2 2020. But even when they split Marathon will have a long term contract to be speedways exclusive fuel supplier. Not a rumor or hear say, I know this for a fact.

The two stations I'm familiar with don't have mid grade. Shell and Casey's are the same except Casey's doesn't carry 91.

E0 is 87 or 91
E10 is 87

I have to check other stations but I don't recall seeing 89 or anything above 91.

Originally Posted by Nexoidian
Marathon and speedway have not split yet. But it is coming. I want to say Q2 2020. But even when they split Marathon will have a long term contract to be speedways exclusive fuel supplier. Not a rumor or hear say, I know this for a fact.

They certainly will have a contract in the Western New York area, as Marathon bought the Noco fuel depot/refinery, the gas station/quickie mart brand the Speedway stores replaced...

Originally Posted by GoldDot40
I don't deliver to either of those, so I can't say for certain what their contracts specify. I just know they are indeed "unbranded" product, which is why you don't see a specific brand on the awning or marquee sign. I believe Speedway has ties with Marathon, so they are likely pumping Marathon unbranded product.

Question for ya sir
Maybe it's be posted and I just missed it
With all the Kroger fuel stations in the Atlanta area, what fuel are you guys unloading ? Is it random fuel ? Just whatever comes down the pipe or is it a fuel with a decent add package like a TT fuel ?
The Kroger close to where I live has a tanker unload ever day if not two some days. It's for sure fresh fuel in the tank
Thanks !ðŸ‘

Have you fueled locomotives? Most drivers have a smile on their face when they can get rid of 4,000 gallons in one shot. Except of course, when the phone rings at 2am, which is usually the case.

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Question for ya sir
With all the Kroger fuel stations in the Atlanta area, what fuel are you guys unloading ? Is it random fuel ? Just whatever comes down the pipe or is it a fuel with a decent add package like a TT fuel ?
The Kroger close to where I live has a tanker unload ever day if not two some days. It's for sure fresh fuel in the tank
Thanks !ðŸ‘

I don't deliver to Kroger, however, one of the drivers that does has told me in the past that they do short contracts and often switch suppliers to keep costs down. They may use the same product for 3 months, then switch. You may get Marathon unbranded, ExxonMobil unbranded, BP unbranded, Trafigura, Phillips unbranded, etc, etc. All these products use additives that meet EPA requirements. The Kroger closest to my house averages 20,000 gallons/day. That's roughly 3 loads per day. I just filled up there when I got off work this evening.

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Question for ya sir
Thanks !ðŸ‘

I don't deliver to Kroger, however, one of the drivers that does has told me in the past that they do short contracts and often switch suppliers to keep costs down. They may use the same product for 3 months, then switch. You may get Marathon unbranded, ExxonMobil unbranded, BP unbranded, Trafigura, Phillips unbranded, etc, etc. All these products use additives that meet EPA requirements. The Kroger closest to my house averages 20,000 gallons/day. That's roughly 3 loads per day. I just filled up there when I got off work this evening.

Holy crap! That's a lot of gas.

So my Cliff Notes take:
Buy gas from a station that sells high quantity. This ensures you get fresh product. ðŸ‘🻠Whose to say that the name brand gas hasn't been sitting for quite some time.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Have you fueled locomotives? Most drivers have a smile on their face when they can get rid of 4,000 gallons in one shot. Except of course, when the phone rings at 2am, which is usually the case.

Never fueled a locomotive. If I had to guess, they are likely contracted with a carrier with 10-wheel class B "fuel wagons". They would make more sense due to needing less space to maneuver wherever a train may stop. I would also guess that fuel stops are a planned event so there likely isn't many 2AM emergency calls. I do know they use dyed #2 (non-highway) diesel.

At least in my area ...

Kroger/Harris Teeter stores sell BP gas... They say so in fact. Plus I can use my fuel points from Harris Teeter at BP gas stations in my area... Which I have done in fact a BP station far separate from the local Harris Teeter store.

Never fueled a locomotive. If I had to guess, they are likely contracted with a carrier with 10-wheel class B "fuel wagons". They would make more sense due to needing less space to maneuver wherever a train may stop. I would also guess that fuel stops are a planned event so there likely isn't many 2AM emergency calls. I do know they use dyed #2 (non-highway) diesel.

And this would be one of the many things my company does.

They are all scheduled stops. We are there when the train pulls into the station for Amtrak trains. Freight trains are ether done in the yard or on the side of the road when they stop for an employee change, as they are time limited just as we are as CDL drivers.

Since we do bulk delivery directly to a customer that owns their own bulk, ie a landscaping firm, construction firm, farmer, car rental stop or the USAF base; we are not delivering 'branded' gas. Rather it is the base gas from the terminal, Flint Hills Resources in my case, with their own gas additive. If you are pulling on a destination that is a Shell then the terminal would be selling you gas with the Shell additive package.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Welcome to the forum. I admire you for working such a hazardous profession.

Yes for sure. I respect all truck drivers. Of course there is an ahole once in a while. But all of are aholes sometimes.

I always flash my lights to let the truck know he can pull in front of me.

I found this photo of the Amtrak Auto Train being refueled in Florence, SC. That's its only scheduled stop, although it doesn't take on any passengers.

[Linked Image from history.amtrak.com]

@GoldDot40: in an earlier exchange you talked about being able detect stale gasoline by smell and that it is always possible to have the premium gasoline at a station be stale at any given time due to much lower usage rates. As someone who chooses to exclusively run premium gasoline (to satisfy the needs of my car's modified tune), this piqued my interest.

I am curious about the concept of stale gasoline though. Can you explain (to the best of your knowledge) what it means to have gasoline go stale?

Does it behave differently from fresh gasoline when burned in the intended scenarios?

What kind of time frame is there before gasoline goes stale while sitting in the storage tanks waiting to be sold?

Thank you for your time and energy in responding to our posts in this thread, it is much appreciated!

Nuke

P.S. If your answers change or are dependent upon ethanol content of the gasoline in question, addressing the subject using the normal 10% ethanol mixture is the gasoline I'm mainly interested in here. I almost exclusively run e10 gasoline, as there is no e0 available around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back