Tried STP, impressed so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked all my fluid levels on my car this morning and I was halfway below the first "full" dot on the dipstick, so almost a quart low. I didn't have to be at school until 10:30 and my OLM was down at 20% so I used this as an excuse to go ahead and change the oil.

In and on went Harvest King conventional 5W-20, a 12oz bottle of blue STP, and a Prime Guard POF4610 filter.

I let it run for about 10 minutes, and almost instantly the car was quieter. It doesn't sound like I have a sewing machine running at full speed on my driveway anymore so I'm already happy with the results.

Took it around the block for an Italian tune-up and it's running amazingly.

Once this OCI is up I plan to do a UOA and see what it says, I'll be curious.

During my quest for clearance oil at Auto Zone, I noticed that STP has their own brand of motor oil now. Anybody tried that?

Dumb question - would I actually have any problems using 10w-40 if I tried it?

And I've used STP's oil in the CR-V before in a previous OCI and I used it in my Mom's 04 Element before, no problems.

Yes, stp was on sale (think it was Amalie) and put it in 3.6 Pentastar.
It had Dexos … good by me.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
Dumb question - would I actually have any problems using 10w-40 if I tried it?

Nope. Maybe some reduce fuel economy but it won't do any damage.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
During my quest for clearance oil at Auto Zone, I noticed that STP has their own brand of motor oil now. Anybody tried that?

It's been on the shelves for years! I remember using STP oil in the early 90's.The currant batch is made by Warren and should be the same as supertech.

10w40 might not play as nice with the VVT and VTEC systems. Why not just run a 5w30? Or a 0w30? I'm not a fan of 5w20 oils, but in Ohio you may not mind the thinner 0w30, or even a 0w40....

Originally Posted by 14Accent
10w40 might not play as nice with the VVT and VTEC systems. Why not just run a 5w30? Or a 0w30? I'm not a fan of 5w20 oils, but in Ohio you may not mind the thinner 0w30, or even a 0w40....

If STP + oil played nice with his Honda?...10W-40 oil would play just as well. Russians were running 15W-40 in their 2007 Honda for sure.

Last edited:
STP and 5w-20 is playing with my Honda wonderfully. I was idling on my driveway for about 45 minutes earlier talking on my CB radio and it was running super smoothly, no unusual noises and no CEL lol so I think I'm safe to keep using it.

The motor oil has actually been around for quite some time, just not readily available to everyone. Do a Wikepedia search on STP to see who has owned the name over the years. It might surprise you to see all the owners, including Beatrice Foods and Clorox.
I'm not saying it's a bad motor oil, I'm just saying it's been around the block a few times.

I used it about 35 years ago. It was classified by the store as a premium oil back then. I only purchased it once.

Son used it in his girlfriend's car. It ran fine.

Originally Posted by 14Accent

If a system is so fickle a liquid measured in CST messes with operation it is not long for the world.

Dave1251: I ran a blend of MAXLIFE 15w40 1quart and 4quarts HK HM 5w20 last in the Camry's with VVT. No issues at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back