FL820S on '19 Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
L12222 Purolator
10060 Fram
57060 Wix
MO-339 Mopar

With all these readily available at multiple stores, why would you put a Ford part on a Mopar?

+1

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
L12222 Purolator
10060 Fram
57060 Wix
MO-339 Mopar

With all these readily available at multiple stores, why would you put a Ford part on a Mopar?

Thank You Gumby.

In the interest of science, the FL-820S fits fine. I'm gonna run the V0-88s since I have a box but wanted to see if the MC would make it. The only minor concern is if the OD lip of the MC interferes with the major OD of the filter mount (screwdriver indicates)

I do hope the Valvoline filter works on an engine not made by Valvoline though.....

IMG_20191205_110829111.jpg

IMG_20191205_111113367.jpg

IMG_20191205_115621718.jpg

Originally Posted by D60
But if there's space, is there a compelling reason the 820S is a bad idea on a '19 5.7??

I usually try to find specs of filters from both applications and compare them. If the filter you want to substitute has the same or more favorable specs, then it will generally be OK if the vehicle is not under warranty.

Correct filter:
https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=654260

FL-820S equivalent:
https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=39203

Bypass Valve PSI: The OEM filter is 12 PSI, the substitute filter is 22 PSI, not even close. Not good.

Burst Pressure PSI: OEM is 350 PSI, the substitute is 275 PSI. Not Good.

The bypass pressure is the thing that worries me the most, as well as voiding the warranty.

On top of all that theres the economics: MSRP on a 2019 Ram starts at $32,000. A Wix 57060 is $4.57 from RockAuto. High risk, low return. Not good.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by D60
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by D60
Nothing seems to recommend the FL820S for the newer Ram Rebel, instead calling out the PF48E or 57060

I assume the FL820 is a Motorcraft and it would be my choice on a Ford, and PF48E is AC Delco and would be my choice on a GM, but why on earth would you put it on a Chrysler?

By the same logic a Wix should only go on a Wix vehicle and a Purolator on a Purolator vehicle?

Could I run a Fiat filter on the 5.7? How 'bout if the rumored Peugeot merger happens? Must I use a Peugeot filter then?

36.gif

I actually had to break my own rule yesterday and put a Motorcraft (fuel) filter on a Chevy but that's only because the MC was $20 and the GM part would have been $50.

OP you have 12 VO-88s. Run them. You are now covered 12x Rams 10k/1year OCI.
Dont think about any other filter for the next 120,000mi/12 years.

By then you'll be 2x out of warranty. Then run a Ford filter if you're so adamant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
Originally Posted by D60
But if there's space, is there a compelling reason the 820S is a bad idea on a '19 5.7??

I usually try to find specs of filters from both applications and compare them. If the filter you want to substitute has the same or more favorable specs, then it will generally be OK if the vehicle is not under warranty.

Correct filter:
https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=654260

FL-820S equivalent:
https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=39203

Bypass Valve PSI: The OEM filter is 12 PSI, the substitute filter is 22 PSI, not even close. Not good.

Burst Pressure PSI: OEM is 350 PSI, the substitute is 275 PSI. Not Good.

The bypass pressure is the thing that worries me the most, as well as voiding the warranty.

On top of all that theres the economics: MSRP on a 2019 Ram starts at $32,000. A Wix 57060 is $4.57 from RockAuto. High risk, low return. Not good.

What is the difference between the Champion OEM and Mopar aftermarket filters?

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Pyrotechnic: OP is a lost cause.

Plus, you are correct, a WIX is cheap compared to a engine.

Not really Brother. Since I've joined Mopar has used Champion labs, Fram, and Purolator as the supplier. I doubt each changed resulted in each filter had identical specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back