m1 TDT vs Rotella t6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been running T6 in my ‘16 Cummins Ram for 90k miles...seems to work just fine. Ready for another change and WM was out of t6, so picked up 3 jugs of TDT At $2 more per jug (24 vs 22)

What are thoughts on 5w40 TDT these days? I recall it was highly regarded once, but haven't heard much about it since. Versus rotella...better, worse, or the same?

TDT has two ingredients listed: severely hydrocracked something (grp3?) and zddp. Nothing else.

Does your ram require 5w40?

I'd prefer Chevron DELO over either M1TDT or Rotella anything.

Originally Posted by BLND1

Or more pertinently, does the Central Valley get sub-zero these days so much that you need to use diluted oil? 15w-40 Rotella T6 (or better) would be a choice. 5w-40 TDT is not bad, but you are leaving a lot of performance on the table by dumbing down to that grade, Mobil or Shell...

Originally Posted by Oro_O

Or more pertinently, does the Central Valley get sub-zero these days so much that you need to use diluted oil? 15w-40 Rotella T6 (or better) would be a choice. 5w-40 TDT is not bad, but you are leaving a lot of performance on the table by dumbing down to that grade, Mobil or Shell...

Diluted? Someone's DELUDED! There's nothing wrong with TDT 5W40, or T6 5W40 either-it might get a little chilly there in the high desert of Cali.

Truck only requires 15w40 but have been running t6 5w40 bc not quite comfortable with 15k oci's on a conventional oil, despite it being allowed by FCA. Didn't realize Rotella made a t6 15w40 or I'd happily run that. Low temps here are right at freezing or just below (high 20's F) on the coldest mornings.

Always been an M1 fan, especially in their thicker grades, but been using Rotella t6 because of price and availability.

You will be fine with TDT 5w40, but RAM says use a 15W40 above 0 F and 5W40 when experiencing temps below 0 F. Here is the recommendations from your Owners Manual. It recommends CJ-4 and TDT is CJ-4. Running 5w40 won't do any harm.

2016 Ram Cummins Oil Requirements.PNG

DE67688A-21A1-4EF8-8596-56E69B0B57A9.jpeg

Last edited:
My money is on DELO xle 15w40.

same here - for the price and the only 15W-40 with the Mercedes 228.51 spec

Originally Posted by tundraotto
My money is on DELO xle 15w40.

same here - for the price and the only 15W-40 with the Mercedes 228.51 spec

And it meets the Cummins CES20086(CES20081) for his use.

Why all the love for Delo? I know it's good oil and we do use it at the ranch on our diesel trucks/tractors, but wouldn't a synthetic oil offer superior protection when stuff gets hot?

Originally Posted by Stickygreen
Why all the love for Delo? I know it's good oil and we do use it at the ranch on our diesel trucks/tractors, but wouldn't a synthetic oil offer superior protection when stuff gets hot?

DELO XLE is a synblend that offers great performance and value.

OP could use DELO XSP synthetic if he wanted to.

I don't believe Rotella is a very good value for the performance you get.

Many will disagree. :
21.gif
:

Many will disagree. :
21.gif
:

Rotella is the world's best selling HDEO and it is by a lot. I guess the performance of having the most fuel efficient and reliable diesels in the world isn't enough.

You are funny.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Many will disagree. :
21.gif
:

Rotella is the world's best selling HDEO and it is by a lot. I guess the performance of having the most fuel efficient and reliable diesels in the world isn't enough.

You are funny.

Not questioning your statement, but does that data take into account the XOM made CAT DEO? Supposed to be a Delvac-clone of sorts?

I use Rotella, Delvac, and Delo. All good.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Many will disagree. :
21.gif
:

You are funny.

"Best selling" probably isn't the metric I would use if I am trying to describe performance. The Toyota Corolla is the best selling car in the world... is it the best performer? It's certainly fuel efficient and reliable, though maybe a little over priced for what it is...

Which was kind of my point with Rotella, IMO (and others') Rotella isn't that great a value for what you actually get.

Everyone likes their home team... even when they suck.

Rotella is Rimula in Europe at least right? So is Rotella the best selling HDEO in the world? Got a link for that statement?

My guess would be Mobil Delvac......its Delvac - everywhere I know of.

M1 5W40 TDT is a good full synthetic oil that meets API CK-4 / CJ-4 and Euro ACEA E7 / E9, and they still claim SN too !!

It also has 1300 ppm zinc for those who need it.

The data is from the October 2019 spec sheet

OP, it meets your API spec and your viscosity requirements, in a full synthetic name brand package. Sounds good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back