SRT part 3 - 2020 Grand Cherokee SRT

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Well, was considering buying an Audi E-Tron as most probably know, but the dealer didn't want to do much in the way of negotiation on price. Meanwhile, my buddy who owns the Chrysler dealer was trying to get me to buy a new SRT, as they had a $7,500 off program, which normally doesn't apply to SRT's, but Chrysler apparently chose not to omit them so he ordered 2x Trackhawks after verifying Chrysler was honouring it and suggested that I build one, as he knew I didn't like the sunroof or chrome, but at the time, I couldn't turn down the deal on the demo. I was considering a Trackhawk, but the fuel mileage penalty was just too much, given how much I drive.

So, this is the first built-to-order vehicle I've ever purchased. I picked every option, colour....etc. I got it for dealer cost, minus $7,500, so it was a very good deal. I was also given very good value on my trade given that it had $12K worth of damage thanks to that accident.

What I ordered:
- Diamond Black Crystal Pearl
- 20x10 Black semi-gloss wheels
- Black interior
- Trailer tow group IV
- SRT High Performance Audio package (HK 19 speaker setup)
- Signature Leather Wrapped Interior package
- 295/45ZR20 Pirelli 3-season rubber
- HIgh Performance Brakes (2-piece rotors)

I omitted the rear entertainment, sunroof and centre DVD player. Also didn't go for the red seatbelts as my wife thought they were gaudy.

Of course another plus of basically buying the same vehicle (minus the accident damage) is that my floor mats and winter wheel/tire combo will all fit.

I actually ordered this almost two months ago and didn't expect it until closer to the end of the month, but while I was in talking to my buddy tonight, the hauler showed up and it was on it, which surprised us both. It gets PDI'd tomorrow, so I'll have some better pics then.

[Linked Image]

It's basically the same as my 2016, except it has the revised front facia that looks more like the Trackhawk. Trans, engine...etc are all the same and same power specs for the 6.4L.

Question...why replace your 2016 given that it's mechanically so similar, and your 2016 doesn't really have any miles on it, anyways? Or is this in addition to your 2016?

That is a glowing endorsement of the SRT Jeep if your buying it again a few years later. It's on my list of cars i want to buy someday.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Question...why replace your 2016 given that it's mechanically so similar, and your 2016 doesn't really have any miles on it, anyways? Or is this in addition to your 2016?

A little long-winded but:

The 2016 had ~50,000Km on it, but it ended up out of warranty prematurely due to it having a claim on it for the amp while it was serving as a demo (there was actually nothing wrong with the amp, it was fixed with an update to UConnect). It had recently developed a noise in the rear that I believe was related to the accident (it was hit directly in the right-rear wheel), but of course now we couldn't get covered since warranty was up and the accident was too long ago. There's a catch on getting extended warranty, as the coverage is different if you buy it while it is still under warranty versus out of. I had intended on buying the extended just before factory was up, which I thought was wise given how it was driven, but we didn't find out that we had missed that window back in the spring until we tried to do warranty on the rear end. Expected end of warranty was the 20th of November, as that's when I purchased it and typically warranty on a demo starts when it stops being a demo and is sold as a new vehicle, which becomes the in-service date. The caveat to that is that a warranty claim during the demo period establishes an in-service.

There were a few issues with the rear plastics on the passenger side which had been removed for the body work/paint, as well as a rattle in the right-rear door that ended up being from a screw that the body shop must have dropped in the door when they were working on it. They also used a drill to put a hole in the plastic shield inside the door to get one of the bolts out, rather than taking the shield off. Both these things were discovered by myself and the service manager when we went looking for the noise and pulled the door panel. They had also failed to put the LED light back in the door panel and it was flailing around inside the door. None of this was the fault of Chrysler or my dealer, it was all related to the accident and the repairs done to it by a body shop that I had previously had excellent experience with but had changed managers. It felt a bit like were were into Pandora's box and I was concerned what might transpire with the vehicle in the coming years thanks to what I would consider less than proper repairs.

This made an appealing case for a replacement that wasn't haunted by an accident and could be ordered how I wanted. I had been happy with the vehicle itself; how it drove, how it was outfitted, the quality...etc. So just getting another one wasn't a hard sell so I pulled the trigger on it.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Congrats.

Although I was sure you would eventually buy a Trackhawk.

Was definitely considering it. I just couldn't justify the hit on fuel economy, and the fact it was 40K more.

Originally Posted by dareo
That is a glowing endorsement of the SRT Jeep if your buying it again a few years later. It's on my list of cars i want to buy someday.

They are a really great vehicle. I love the interior, it's a great place to be, even on really long drives. The ride is great, the power is great, it's just a really really nice ride. The stereo is also excellent, which helps. This also provided the opportunity to get it exactly as I wanted, which was a fun experience in itself.

Exciting!!! Actually, I am considering buying one of these too. My wife retires in 2 months and we are going to shuffle our fleet. She drives about 1,000 miles per week because her work requires two 500 mile round trips per week.

Your post has me thinking about this again.

Scott

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Congrats.

Was definitely considering it. I just couldn't justify the hit on fuel economy, and the fact it was 40K more.

Plus, if you decide later, couldn't you supercharge the 6.4 as it sits? Looks like the Whipple kit is ~$9k. Heck of a lot better than $40k!

Love the made-to-order truck. I've built a few of these online, just for fun, and you spec'd yours just about how I would, except I would have the red belts and the sunroof. What can I say, I like sunshine and gaudy.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Congrats.

Plus, if you decide later, couldn't you supercharge the 6.4 as it sits? Looks like the Whipple kit is ~$9k. Heck of a lot better than $40k!

Love the made-to-order truck. I've built a few of these online, just for fun, and you spec'd yours just about how I would, except I would have the red belts and the sunroof. What can I say, I like sunshine and gaudy.

[Linked Image]

You're making me want a Grand Cherokee lol

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by 14Accent
Congrats.

[Linked Image]

You're making me want a Grand Cherokee lol

ROFL!

If you get one, only get the SRT is my advice, as a former JGC owner. Also, the non SRT JGC's are losing ground IMO. Many SUV's offer comparable amenities, for comparable price, now. Used to be, the JGC really punched above its price on "niceness". Now, it's fairly typical at its price point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

If you get one, only get the SRT is my advice, as a former JGC owner. Also, the non SRT JGC's are losing ground IMO. Many SUV's offer comparable amenities, for comparable price, now. Used to be, the JGC really punched above its price on "niceness". Now, it's fairly typical at its price point.

Long time no see! My wife, of all people, wants something "loud and fast" and wants a Charger or Grand Cherokee SRT. Probably going to get one once the other 2 cars are paid off assuming the other 2 don't completely fall apart.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Ws6

Long time no see! My wife, of all people, wants something "loud and fast" and wants a Charger or Grand Cherokee SRT. Probably going to get one once the other 2 cars are paid off assuming the other 2 don't completely fall apart.

What's the budget? I've been out of state hunting and having thanksgiving stuffs! I also tend to rotate between forums. Get a new car...car forum...buy a new suppressor...gun forum, etc. Cyclical and all. Keep mahself entertained!

Originally Posted by Ws6

What's the budget? I've been out of state hunting and having thanksgiving stuffs! I also tend to rotate between forums. Get a new car...car forum...buy a new suppressor...gun forum, etc. Cyclical and all. Keep mahself entertained!

It won't be happening anytime soon... once the kids are out of elementary school we'll start looking for one. I've given up Facebook, definitely needing something other than YouTube and BITOG to keep me entertained!

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Exciting!!! Actually, I am considering buying one of these too. My wife retires in 2 months and we are going to shuffle our fleet. She drives about 1,000 miles per week because her work requires two 500 mile round trips per week.

Your post has me thinking about this again.

Scott

Didn't you just do a bunch of suspension upgrades on her Passat?
...or would this be in addition to her Passat?

Wonderful choice indeed!

It's a real thrill to custom order a brand new car, and even better if it's an SRT vehicle. I wonder if they still put "Specially built for..." on the window sticker?

As stated earlier, it's quite an endorsement of the model, and I know you'll love it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Wonderful choice indeed!

It's a real thrill to custom order a brand new car, and even better if it's an SRT vehicle. I wonder if they still put "Specially built for..." on the window sticker?

As stated earlier, it's quite an endorsement of the model, and I know you'll love it.

I'll let you know today if they do
smile.gif

Back