Black Friday Oculus Go review

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got the $149 Oculus Go just to see if I can find a good use of it. I was expecting to lie down in bed watching Hulu, and maybe also some NSFW stuff that everyone says is 6-7x better than in 2D.

Hardware:
This thing is not as comfortable as I wish for, but not the worst I expect. I need to wear my glasses (vision -3.50 / 3.25) to see clearly. I need to constantly take it out to defog both the glasses and the lens inside. Yes, I did use the provided adapter to make room for the glasses, but no, it is still a bit uncomfortable. It is not as heavy as I was expecting, but the strap did fell off a couple of times. The controller is like a Wii Remote and it seems to work ok too. Setup seems to be easy enough in the hardware department. The resolution is lowish as I can see the pixels, but I don't think it is bad enough that the headset is deemed bad. Having to use a phone to setup the 1st time seems dumb. You have a controller and a virtual keyboard, you can use it to setup wifi and go online by itself.

UI in general:
I was disappointed that many apps like Hulu and SkyBox isn't easy to let you lie down to watch a 2D video. It always point to the ceiling when you expect to see the movie. It also has that setting menu at the bottom so I have to look down to start adjusting the screen going up. When you are watching VR 180 deg video you cannot move the screen up, so that means you can only watch those sitting up, or you'll be looking into the theater theme's opera house ceiling or your fancy VR man cave's ceiling. I can understand you don't want people to do it in 3D in the wrong orientation but come on, this should not be limited in 2D. Other than this flaw I think the UI is kind of clean. The browser is missing a lot of obvious thing I'm used to from Firefox, but it is usable despite being too lite.

Contents in general:
Many contents in VR 180deg, in particular the NSFW action stuff, seems to assume you only sit up straight so you cannot always rest in a comfortable position. You are in a lecture so you are not missing any view, but it is just distracting you from the real action. My neck hurt after 10 mins. This is bad, but not the worst. The worst goes to me seeing cross eyed video in different depth of view for most VR contents, and the only one without this effect is the same content in 2D, when I adjust the setting of the content, so I ended up watching a lot of VR 180 deg contents in 2D instead.

Since I bought it directly from Facebook / Oculus. I was giving the extended return period till 1/31/20. I think I'll try it a few more times but if I can't resolve the fogging and the lying down to watch limitation, I'll return it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PandaBear

Since I bought it directly from Facebook / Oculus. I was giving the extended return period till 1/31/20. I think I'll try it a few more times but if I can't resolve the fogging and the lying down to watch limitation, I'll return it.

use a different viewer app for movies.. I forget which one(moon vr maybe?) it let you reorient. I would lay down and if you stared off screen it would ask if you wanted to. it would then center the screen whereever you were currently looking.

For me the reason its totally broken... cant put a microsd into it.. 32GB is nothing.

I could get a 128GB microsd for peanuts and it would be so much better... they want $50 more for the 64GB version which is still not much if you cant use a micro sd.

I used my galaxy S8 with a 200GB card and it would fill up surprisingly fast.. some movies can be over 20GB.

Yep, you ignored the current tech. Ditch the Go.

I did some beta testing with the wireless Quest earlier this year. No way it is worth using anything before, regardless the price.

Originally Posted by Oro_O

I did some beta testing with the wireless Quest earlier this year. No way it is worth using anything before, regardless the price.

Pray tell. I am not sure if I'm willing to shell out $400 for a Quest though, I'm just in it because it is $150 and I can lay down on my bed and watch videos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oro_O

The Go is actually a pretty good headset if you don't plan to play 6DOF games. For watching videos it's just as good as the Quest, and some of the games are fun, too... not to mention much cheaper than Quest games.

As for viewing videos in bed, I know Netflix has a setting for doing that, so I presume other video players probably do if you can find it.

Originally Posted by Rand
I used my galaxy S8 with a 200GB card and it would fill up surprisingly fast.. some movies can be over 20GB.

I tried a few different video formats on the Go and I didn't see any difference between 720p and higher resolutions when watching flat videos in the virtual cinema. For 360 or 180, you obviously want the highest resolution you can get.

Seems like Skybox and DeoVR players both can let me tilt, and adjust the offset (between the 2 lens), for contents I play from local storage. The local contents have only about 21/32GB of space I can use, and it seems like a lot of the 4096x2048 contents take about that much for one series of 3-4 separate parts. Playing from local network is choppy, I think it is finally a reason to upgrade from a 2.4GHz N router to a 5GHz AC router or better (I'm already right next to the router), or wait for USB drive support to show up eventually. So far most VR180 contents are ok tilting, but no luck with VR360 stuff. Most of the stuff I'm looking for is in VR180, so I guess that's good.

I'm still having fogged up lenses, but a lot better when I leave a gap on the top of the goggle. Also found out that they sell prescription lens to go with them for $70, I'll think about it, but for now I think wearing glasses inside is not too bad.

Walmart / Amazon dropped the price to $129.99, at this price I think it is worth keeping as a video player. Maybe there'll be some homebrew use in the future like what people do with Raspberry Pi, or link up with an emulator for some retro games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back