Huge oil leak repair: 2001 Blazer 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Timmastertech
You can get that diff out without taking it apart. I pull the steering linkage completely then unbolt the steering box and shove it up. That gives you enough room to get the diff out. Still not a fun diff to do but on the bright side, those cooler lines are real easy to do with the diff out! Hope you used GM lines or you will be doing the cooler lines again soon from experience. The Dorman lines tend to last about a year before they start leaking

Believe me, I tried. I tried and tried and tried. I just could NOT get the angle I needed for the housing to clear the mounts on the frame. It's no big deal to pull the passenger axle tube, it's only 5 bolts. I didn't consider moving the steering box, personally that's way more work than it's worth however having the pitman arm out of the way would have been WONDERFUL.

I did use the GM lines for the block -> adapter, however I couldn't get my hands on adapter -> radiator lines in the time I needed, so Dorman went in. At least if they fail, they're the eas(ier) ones to do again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by c502cid
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Those blazers were junk for sure. They ate hub bearings at an alarming rate too. To be fair to GM the explorer was also garbage. 4.0 with 4 chains anyone? Its a shame really...i liked the look of the zr2 blazer and the 4.3 was awesome...but man they were doo doo

And to think...she could have purchased a 4runner for comparable money...- the $7500 in incentives ford and gm have to give to convince people to buy these things

A little Toyota fan boy take on things? One wheel bearing in 90k miles is alarming I know. Funny my neighbors brothers uncles neighbor 2nd grade teacher 4runner was junk too, guess it just matters which one you get.

Wow...do you struggle with relationships in your personal life?

I get employee pricing on GM, Ford, and Toyota. I have no brand bias. I've owned a couple of those blazers have you? I've also wrenched professionally...have you?

Here is a tip...there is a reason they are worth nothing used... They are junk

Last edited:
My friend is similar to the OP's customer. She has a '99 GMC Sonoma 4.3L 4wd and it's definitely not aging gracefully. She just spent $1200 on getting a body mount replaced that was rotted off the frame, but the rust on the body is getting to the point of not passing inspection either. It's been constantly nickle and diming her for the past 5 years. The underside is a complete oily mess, the front CV shafts are GONE and now the transmission (manual) is on its way out. I understand not having a truck payment, but I believe over the past couple years she has spent quadruple the value of the thing. I'm at the point of no longer touching the thing...

Originally Posted by c502cid
Those blazers were junk for sure. They ate hub bearings at an alarming rate too. To be fair to GM the explorer was also garbage. 4.0 with 4 chains anyone? Its a shame really...i liked the look of the zr2 blazer and the 4.3 was awesome...but man they were doo doo

And to think...she could have purchased a 4runner for comparable money...- the $7500 in incentives ford and gm have to give to convince people to buy these things

A little Toyota fan boy take on things? One wheel bearing in 90k miles is alarming I know. Funny my neighbors brothers uncles neighbor 2nd grade teacher 4runner was junk too, guess it just matters which one you get.

Wow...do you struggle with relationships in your personal life?

I get employee pricing on GM, Ford, and Toyota. I have no brand bias. I've owned a couple of those blazers have you? I've also wrenched professionally...have you?

Here is a tip...there is a reason they are worth nothing used... They are junk

Around here it's by far the most popular mid 90's SUV on the road. They've withstood the test of time and salt much better than the Explorer, Grand Cherokee, Durango and 4Runner of this vintage.

Sure some things could have been thought out better, but what's new in the automotive world. I personally don't think they're difficult to work on though.

Thats hilarious...you feel a 90s vintage or any vintage for that matter s-10 blazer better than a 4runner. Congrats...you won the internet today

I'm not trying to be an [censored]. Just stating an observation.

Also, I used the word "popular" not better. Yes, you see more of them on the road than anything else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back