New (to us) 2016 Ford Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has been needing an upgrade from the 2001 Taurus as it's just getting worn out and has many quirks. Found a 2016 Edge SE fwd with only 35k on it for a pretty good price. We don't need all the fancy gadgets in the higher end models. Even though we do get a good amount of snow every year, we didnt feel the need for awd and if it's that bad we take the truck. From
research the awd models have a few more issues (ptu) than the regular fwd.

We have driven the rogue, escape, rav4 and equinox. Liked the rav4 the most but was out of our price range. The Edge was the next favorite.

So far we are enjoying it. The 2.0 EcoBoost is a nice upgrade from the Vulcan Taurus and the focus' regular 2.0. It has enough punch to move when needed. We will be curious to see our average gas mileage long term. We're hoping for around 24mpg. It has Michelin latitude tires on it, which appear to be factory.

It has part of the factory warranty left. The dealer has a "free" powertrain for life warranty as long as you get the oil and vehicle serviced there. Not sure how big of a gimmick that is or if it's worth it to take it there and pay someone else to service it... I'm not usually
one to take it to a dealer for oil changes and service, kinda unsure if we will do it long term. Might do it for the first few years. Good thing is, it'll probably only get 10K miles a year so 2 ocis at a dealer isn't horrible. Has anyone else encountered one of these "free" power train warranties?

If we forego the power train dealer warranty, I have a bunch of RGT 5w-30 from the AZ clearance that I'd love to run in it.

monumental ripoffs. walk away from any dealer that offers the lifetime warranty. there I a dealer here locally where its mandatory with every new car . adds 3000$ to the sticker

My local Ford dealer offers this, but it is free. I read the fine print, and essentially considered it worthless during my new vehicle search. I figured they were paying about $50 per vehicle to have this, so I removed it from the equation while shopping.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
My local Ford dealer offers this, but it is free. I read the fine print, and essentially considered it worthless during my new vehicle search. I figured they were paying about $50 per vehicle to have this, so I removed it from the equation while shopping.

That's pretty much what I came to the conclusion as well. Not really worth it and more of a way to get people to come back after the sale for service.

We'll just get a Ford ESP instead for a few extra years.

Originally Posted by volk06
Originally Posted by rubberchicken

That's pretty much what I came to the conclusion as well. Not really worth it and more of a way to get people to come back after the sale for service.

We'll just get a Ford ESP instead for a few extra years.

That is exactly what I did as well. Generally I never buy extended warranties, but its the wife's daily driver I got one just before the factory warranty ran out.

It really depends on how much you pay for the ESP. Normally I don't purchase one but for my truck it paid for itself when I had a tire repaired and two TMPS replaced. I paid around $200 for the ESP.

Originally Posted by dave1251
It really depends on how much you pay for the ESP. Normally I don't purchase one but for my truck it paid for itself when I had a tire repaired and two TMPS replaced. I paid around $200 for the ESP.

Yea it all depends on the number of years, miles and what level you want. We bought the ESP from a reputable online seller. We just got the basic care and figured out how many miles we needed and the corresponding number of years to get there. We got the key coverage too, a new key cut and programmed can be almost 250-300 from the dealer.

My girlfriend is getting 22mpg in her Edge 2.0, 2016 AWD. She bought it from a dealer who offers lifetime warranty. They have great reviews, her family has vehicles from them that they have exercised said warranty with, having no issue doing so in the past.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
My girlfriend is getting 22mpg in her Edge 2.0, 2016 AWD. She bought it from a dealer who offers lifetime warranty. They have great reviews, her family has vehicles from them that they have exercised said warranty with, having no issue doing so in the past.

So far we are getting 23.5 average on the fwd edge. A little different in mpg. We are experimenting with 91 vs 87/88 and seeing if paying the extra for premium gains any mpg and if the cost per mile is worth it.

Originally Posted by volk06
Originally Posted by Ws6

So far we are getting 23.5 average on the fwd edge. A little different in mpg. We are experimenting with 91 vs 87/88 and seeing if paying the extra for premium gains any mpg and if the cost per mile is worth it.

She uses 87 exclusively.

I think that the esp warranties are a pretty fair deal if you buy from a discounter (Floodford) and stick to coverage of the important stuff. I thought that the Basic warranty was good value. I wasn't paying to cover a bunch of stuff I didn't even have and almost everything that really mattered was covered.

The Ford Quicklane Service is a good value in my opinion based on the UOAs I had done.

Engine durability is a strong point for Ford right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back