Drain plug with nut welder to it. PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work! It's crazy what some people will do to drain plugs and let the car leave.

To those who said "I take it to X place and if it strips it's on them" good luck. I've fixed a number of drain plugs where there was clearly a leak and they sent it down the road anyway.

Originally Posted by Driz
Right there you have proof positive that you don't get mechanical superstars working at oil change joints. Some people just cannot be trusted around air tools🙈. Yet another reason why it's always better just to do it yourself. No matter how bad you screw it up you can't do any worse.....

Ain't nobody using an air tool on that.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Nice work by you. As a retired welder, you saved yourself some decent coin. Think what a shop would have charged.

$50-$100 would be my guess.
21.gif
Actually I still have a welding shop and work part time. Also I do the welding for a small machine shop. They have no need for a full time welder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by atikovi
I have a welder AND the special socket like any good mechanic should. Only I chose to work smarter, not harder.

But not before you start a thread asking what kind of washer to put on the bolt or if you should wax the oil pan.

no no no you have it all wrong.. he uses all the time he saves with the sockets to pick rocks out of his flipper car tires.....

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by atikovi
I have a welder AND the special socket like any good mechanic should. Only I chose to work smarter, not harder.

But not before you start a thread asking what kind of washer to put on the bolt or if you should wax the oil pan.

LOL!

Just a friendly reminder that being uncivil towards each other will have consequences.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
does any one brand have "substandard" drain plugs, that fail more often?

Using the wrong socket or way over tightening drain plugs with a intergraded "O" ring is the most common cause for the head of drain plugs to round off. That's just one of several reasons why I still do my own engine and trans oil changes.

Originally Posted by tig1
Right there you have proof positive that you don't get mechanical superstars working at oil change joints. Some people just cannot be trusted around air tools🙈. Yet another reason why it's always better just to do it yourself. No matter how bad you screw it up you can't do any worse.....

I'm 75 and still change oil in my engines and trans. I have been doing this for about 55 years because of just what you said.
I'm right there with you brother at age 71. The only time I've ever paid someone to change my oil was when I was recovering from major surgery. As my dear old Daddy always said, "If you want it done right, do it yourself."

Originally Posted by jhs914

I'm 75 and still change oil in my engines and trans. I have been doing this for about 55 years because of just what you said.
I'm right there with you brother at age 71. The only time I've ever paid someone to change my oil was when I was recovering from major surgery. As my dear old Daddy always said, "If you want it done right, do it yourself."

I'm 67 and have owned over 30 cars so far. I have NEVER ONCE paid anyone to change my oil (I'm not throwing stones at you jhs914).

Scott

PS tig1, I like your resourcefulness!

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by jhs914

I'm 67 and have owned over 30 cars so far. I have NEVER ONCE paid anyone to change my oil (I'm not throwing stones at you jhs914).

Scott

PS tig1, I like your resourcefulness!

Thanks. I just like doing what I can for myself.

tig - Let me be frank: you do beautiful work.

This was an elegant solution to a PITA problem.

Wish I had your skill, but I know it took decades to develop. I'll never be that good.

Cheers,
Astro

Not sure why so many seem to have a problem with welding a bigger nut on. Tig1 is a welder, so is it any surprise he used the tools available at his disposal? Why run off to a store and buy something that after this repair will collect dust, when one is capable to solve this problem with other means?
I guess the expectation is to start a thread, create a lot of drama for something as trivial as removing a rounded off drain plug and at the end have no real consensus because guess what? There is more than one way to tackle a problem.

By the way, darn that weld looks freaking good
thumbsup2.gif
. I don't think tig1 is even capable of laying a bad weld
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
tig - Let me be frank: you do beautiful work.

This was an elegant solution to a PITA problem.

Wish I had your skill, but I know it took decades to develop. I'll never be that good.

Cheers,
Astro

Originally Posted by KrisZ

By the way, darn that weld looks freaking good
thumbsup2.gif
. I don't think tig1 is even capable of laying a bad weld
lol.gif

Very skilled! Makes my welds look like they were done by a guy with parkinsons! ( no offense to anyone with parkinsons).

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Did you weld a 3/4 nut on the new DP? I'm thinking of doing that on my 13mm Dodge plug ... a preemptive move.

No. I replaced with a new one.

this reminds me of subaru.
my forester came with a junk pot metal 14mm drain plug.. I rounded it off.. was too tight from factory..
I then replaced it with an outback drain plug those were 17mm and worked a whole lot better..
makes you wonder why they didnt use those on everything.

IIRC a couple years later they upgraded the forester to the better drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back