Drain plug with nut welder to it. PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my sons oil yesterday and discovered the drain plug head was partially rounded over from where the last OC place changed his oil. I tried using a 6 point socket, chisel and nothing worked. My last option was to weld a nut on the end of the DP and that did the trick. This was on his 2008 Ford Ranger and the DP was somewhat hard to get to. Here is a picture if anyone is interested. By the way the head on the DP was a 13 MM. I welded a 3/4 nut on to it, and replaced with a new DP.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Right there you have proof positive that you don't get mechanical superstars working at oil change joints. Some people just cannot be trusted around air tools🙈. Yet another reason why it's always better just to do it yourself. No matter how bad you screw it up you can't do any worse.....

Originally Posted by Driz
Right there you have proof positive that you don't get mechanical superstars working at oil change joints. Some people just cannot be trusted around air tools🙈. Yet another reason why it's always better just to do it yourself. No matter how bad you screw it up you can't do any worse.....

I'm 75 and still change oil in my engines and trans. I have been doing this for about 55 years because of just what you said.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by atikovi
They do make special sockets for rounded bolt heads.

[Linked Image from northerntool.com]

Much simpler than trying to weld a nut on.

Sure they do, for the ladies that can't tig weld.
lol.gif

I n this case MIG weld.
thankyou2.gif

I service friend's cars cuz I enjoy it. I keep extra Honda and Toyota drain plugs on hand. And various warshers...
If the vehicle's drain plug is rounded or it does not spin out easily, in the trash it goes.

By the way, bravo to Tig1. Well done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by paoester
Yep, welding seems drastic when there are the "Nut Extractors" (shoot, why do I hate that name?!?!?)
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

No room for that in this case. I may have removed a thousand or more bolts for one reason or another by welding on them. I welded in a machine shop for nearly 24 years. Welding makes a secure way to loosen bolts and the heat will most often help to release the bolt.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I service friend's cars cuz I enjoy it. I keep extra Honda and Toyota drain plugs on hand. And various warshers...
If the vehicle's drain plug is rounded or it does not spin out easily, in the trash it goes.

By the way, bravo to Tig1. Well done.

Thanks. A welder is a vital tool in most any shop.

Hope you disconnected BOTH battery cables before you welded that thing otherwise you may have fried any number of computers on the truck.

Of course.

Nice work! Guess that was less bad than the idiots stripping out the pan and them putting a rubber plug in it (don't laugh, I've seen it). Probably worked better than my big ol' Vise-Grips would have!

I have let my Hyundai dealer do my oil changes since the cars were new.
If they screw up the drain plug it's on them.
I'm too old to do this and dont want to do it anymore .
I pay the $50 and sip coffee in a nice waiting area,look at the new models in the showroom and when I leave my hands and clothes are clean.
And they always wash the car,thats worth $10 on it's own.

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
They do make special sockets for rounded bolt heads.

[Linked Image from northerntool.com]

Much simpler than trying to weld a nut on.

Sure they do, for the ladies that can't tig weld.
lol.gif

I n this case MIG weld.
thankyou2.gif

In this instance I meant tig as in tig1... I could see you had a little spatter and junk but the punny part was in the delivery.
banana2.gif

Absolutely. I don't even drink coffee.

As I said when I posted this thread. "If anyone is interested". Since you're not, move along, nothing here for you to see.

I have a welder AND the special socket like any good mechanic should. Only I chose to work smarter, not harder.

But not before you start a thread asking what kind of washer to put on the bolt or if you should wax the oil pan.

Some round off sockets need to be hammered on to work properly. Not something you want to do on an oil pan. Tig1 used the method he is a expert at and it worked well. Different ways to attack a problem, you use the one you are most familiar or experienced with.

Nice job Tig1. With your experience it probably took no time at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back