Ordered case of M1 LV ATF for my 2017 Ford Fusion

Originally Posted by Brybo86
Is it on sale or something?

No, but none of the usual parts stores carries it and most can't order M1 LV.

Don't you need Mercon LV, not the Dexron LV HP stuff you got?
Your owner's manual says: "Note: Automatic transmissions that require
MERCON LV transmission fluid should only
use MERCON LV transmission fluid. The
use of any other fluid may cause
transmission damage.
"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by paoester

I have used M1 ATF with Mercon 5 spec(not the LV version) in other Ford trans calling for some other weird spec like FNR-5 which my 2007 Fusion calls for. After 250K that trans still shifts up and down like new. I believe all these different specs for engines and trans are misleading. Both the MC LV spec and the M1 LV spec I light viscosity. Will try it our and report back soon on performance.

Your owner's manual says: "Note: Automatic transmissions that require
MERCON LV transmission fluid should only
use MERCON LV transmission fluid. The
use of any other fluid may cause
transmission damage.
"

Here is a side by side back of Valvoline Max Life and M1. Both are spec'ed for various transmissions but he Valvoline is rated for Mercon LV and the standard (not LV) M1 ATF is not, but both are rated for Volvo97340, Dexron ll, and Allison C4 for example. All of these different specs are very closely related.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
About which spec to use, I'm confused.
In the past, I've just used exactly what went in at the factory. I've never tried to "upgrade" my ATF fluid to some other Universal or alternate spec.
Something about elastomer compatibility, frictional characteristic, viscosity hydrualics dependence? I just don't know. Its complicated, maybe.

I'm that way with spark plugs too. Just use exact factory ones there.
Motor oil and diff fluid is different, I'll use an "upgraded" spec as long as it encompasses the lower spec. For example, if only SN is required, its easy to find a motor oil that is both SN and other higher specs.

Actually I spoke to Mobil tech and they claim their fluids and oils meet many auto manf requirements but their are just too many hoops to jump through to cert all of them. More politics than anything.

I'd bet you're fine with the Dexron HP atf. Viscosity isn't too much different anyway.
Some of the CVT fluids get real weird since precise friction etc. is more imporant there. For a conventional slushbox, probably you're fine going with about any ATF fluid that is close.

I'd bet you're fine with the Dexron HP atf. Viscosity isn't too much different anyway.
Some of the CVT fluids get real weird since precise friction etc. is more imporant there. For a conventional slushbox, probably you're fine going with about any ATF fluid that is close.

I would agree.How can one brand of ATF meet the exact spec for many different makes of vehicles all calling for a different AFT spec. In thirty years I haven't had a trans or PS pump problem with M1 ATF. We'll see how this(M1 LV) shifts in the Fusion.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 actually says that fluid is not recommended for Mercon LV applications. I'd use Valvoline Maxlife before I'd use Mobil 1.

Don't you need Mercon LV, not the Dexron LV HP stuff you got? Your owner's manual says: "Note: Automatic transmissions that require MERCON LV transmission fluid should only use MERCON LV transmission fluid. The use of any other fluid may cause transmission damage."

The manual is out-of-date now. Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is approved/licensed by Ford to meet Mercon LV specs as well as MAG1's LV ATF being approved/licensed. That doesn't mean Castrol or Warren (who makes MAG1) claim it's good enough, it means Ford has given them a full stamp of approval.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Mobil 1 actually says that fluid is not recommended for Mercon LV applications. I'd use Valvoline Maxlife before I'd use Mobil 1.

Don't you need Mercon LV, not the Dexron LV HP stuff you got? Your owner's manual says: "Note: Automatic transmissions that require MERCON LV transmission fluid should only use MERCON LV transmission fluid. The use of any other fluid may cause transmission damage."

The manual is out-of-date now. Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is approved/licensed by Ford to meet Mercon LV specs as well as MAG1's LV ATF being approved/licensed. That doesn't mean Castrol or Warren (who makes MAG1) claim it's good enough, it means Ford has given them a full stamp of approval.

Read some of my comments above. M1 just hasn't jumped through all the cert hoops like others you mentioned.

Originally Posted by tig1
Read some of my comments above. M1 just hasn't jumped through all the cert hoops like others you mentioned.

No need to. There's a clear distinction between company "a" saying they recommend their fluid for an application. That's all on them. If they're confident it will work, they'll say it on their labeling.

This is 100% different than "jumping through all the cert hoops". Read the label you posted - ExxonMobil does recommend it for multiple applications. They distinctly do not recommend it for LV applications. I'd suggest you think twice before using this fluid. I'm not against "multi-vehicle" fluids either but they at least have to say it's okay in an application.

You either bought the wrong Mobil 1 fluid or you posted the wrong image. You should have bought this M1 ATF. In a post above, njohnson linked to the right LV fluid and you said that's what you bought. If so, disregard what I've said .... except the part about posting the wrong image of their bottle.

I plan on keeping my 2012 Fusion for a long while.

I bought it with 45K miles one year ago..with meticulous oil changes every 5K... but i saw no mention of ATF change in the service history.

I did one drain and fill at 45K and it was very black..but i read that the Mercron LV does like to blacken fairly quickly.

I had planned on going to Maxlife ATF in the spring and sticking with that... what say you?

krismoriah72, Valvoline Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF is not officially OEM-qualified (Ford). Its probably OK. Valvoline says go ahead and put it in any Mercon LV or Merconv V application like yours.
(If you have the Aisin F21 6-speed automatic they were using in some 2012 Fusions that year, you need a WSS-M2C924-A spec transmission fluid, not the Mercon LV).
I'm guessing you have the Ford 6F35 6-speed automatic, which calls for Mercon LV.

I would just use Motorcraft Mercon LV for a 6F35 tranny. You can get it pretty cheap at autoparts stores and I think walmart has it. Then you have the same stuff Ford used in durability testing, so its good.

If you have the Aisin F21, then "Motorcraft Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid" is the one you want. Not sure if you have to go to a dealership for that.
Or, you can just trust Valvoline and get the MaxLife for about any non-CVT automatic tranny on the planet.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I had planned on going to Maxlife ATF in the spring and sticking with that...

It's a very popular choice and cost-wise, probably one of the cheapest. A 4-quart bottle at Walmart can be under $20 ($18 currently or $4.50/quart). You can get Warren's MAG1 LV ATF for about $6/quart at Family Farm and Fleet but there's none in your neck of the woods. Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is as much as Mercon LV unless you catch something like Autozone's 2 for $10 or 2 for $11 special. I mention these fluids because they're 100% licensed and approved by Ford.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I plan on keeping my 2012 Fusion for a long while.

I bought it with 45K miles one year ago..with meticulous oil changes every 5K... but i saw no mention of ATF change in the service history.

I did one drain and fill at 45K and it was very black..but i read that the Mercron LV does like to blacken fairly quickly.

I had planned on going to Maxlife ATF in the spring and sticking with that... what say you?

Im using Maxlife ATF in lieu of MERCON LV and there has been no noticeable performance different other than Maxlife doesn't get dark like MERCON LV.

Back