VW guys questions on the ea839 engine

Originally Posted by BeerCan
So specifies C20 for group 1 and A40 for group 2
I just looked at the Mobil1 website for Egypt, and indeed they spec a VW 502 (A3/B4 HTHS 3.5) oil, which corresponds to Porsche A40, in a 2.0L turbo Tiguan with the same 184 hp power peak as the one I have here in the U.S. which specs a 0w20. (I assume the engine is almost the same, although mine is DI-only, where ones overseas are DI+Port injected.) That's a different engine than the Cayenne's single-turbo 3.0L here, but they are doing the same thing it appears.

Your Group 2 countries are hot climates, thats for sure.

Also, notice those Group 2 countries use 0w-20 thin oil if they have a gasoline particulate filter! A40 if not.

I don't know if there are engine differences (i.e., Egypt vs. Germany or the U.S.), as in the cooler cylinder walls, etc. we already cited above. (???)

Originally Posted by paoester

Also, notice those Group 2 countries use 0w-20 thin oil if they have a gasoline particulate filter! A40 if not.

Only for the 2.0 and 3.0.

For GPF equipped the 2.9 uses C30(VW 504/507) and 4.0 C40(VW 511).

IMO what's this C40/VW 511 spec?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Trav
I see you didn't post a link to back up your claim. You cant find anything eh?

Link to what?

You said..
Castrol recommends for that engine A40, VW 502.00 in Germany.

A link to this information You don't have one because it doesn't exist or is the info in the owners manual wrong?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

"Service Engine Oil with Reduced Ash Content and Fuel-Saving Properties for Gasoline Engines with Special Requirements"

It's a GPF-friendly oil for applications where low viscosity isn't appropriate. 0W-40 and 5W-40 only. ACEA C3 type.

Originally Posted by weasley
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

"Service Engine Oil with Reduced Ash Content and Fuel-Saving Properties for Gasoline Engines with Special Requirements"

It's a GPF-friendly oil for applications where low viscosity isn't appropriate. 0W-40 and 5W-40 only. ACEA C3 type.

I was wondering who was going to pick up on this new specification. So A40 is slowly being replaced by C40 (I you look at the photo of the manual above the 4.0 liter V8 turbo is only spec'd for C40 regardless of whether or not it has a GPF).

I wonder if it'll ever be sold in the US being that it seems to be a unicorn of an oil specification.

511 spec sounds similar to the "Corvette" Mobil 0w40 ESP.

Edit - So it looks like they have one called ESP X3 which is 511/C40 approved. I don't know if that's the same as the Corvette one or if it's another version again.

Last edited:
I see you didn't post a link to back up your claim. You cant find anything eh?

Link to what?

You said..
Castrol recommends for that engine A40, VW 502.00 in Germany.

A link to this information You don't have one because it doesn't exist or is the info in the owners manual wrong?

You can go to Castrol web site in Germany find this engine and it might pop out. You never know.

I just looked at the Mobil1 website for Egypt, and indeed they spec a VW 502 (A3/B4 HTHS 3.5) oil, which corresponds to Porsche A40, in a 2.0L turbo Tiguan with the same 184 hp power peak as the one I have here in the U.S. which specs a 0w20. (I assume the engine is almost the same, although mine is DI-only, where ones overseas are DI+Port injected.) That's a different engine than the Cayenne's single-turbo 3.0L here, but they are doing the same thing it appears.

Your Group 2 countries are hot climates, thats for sure.

I don't know if there are engine differences (i.e., Egypt vs. Germany or the U.S.), as in the cooler cylinder walls, etc. we already cited above. (???)

There are no differences in engines. If you go to Mobil1 German web site, for 2.0TSI engines 5W30 ESP (504.00) is recommended. No one makes different engines for numerous different markets. There could be difference in some emission stuff, or software, but bottom line those are same engines. Today everything is about modularity and cutting cost. Therefore, one cannot expect substantial differences in design etc. between European, North American or Asian bound engines.
BMW also recommends 0W20 in US, but it is also clear in manual that LL01 can be used.
Either way, regardless of cycle, displacement, ALL VW family engines can use VW504.00/507.00 or heavier oils. In teh end, EA888 engine is designed around VW504.00/507.00 oils.

Instead of guessing at what BMW recommends, lets go to some actual Owner's Manuals.
Likewise for any discussions around VAG engines.

BMW also recommends 0W20 in US, but it is also clear in manual that LL01 can be used.
No, they say you can only top-off (up to 1 quart) with LL-01. .... I just checked https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html for a 2018 BMW 530i 2.0L turbo model, and they say 0w20 or 0w30 (LL-01FE HTHS 3.0) as possibilities, not LL-01 HTHS 3.5 oils.
The print manual for a '19 5series is https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/a...amp;attachmentid=836397&d=1547762131
The mobiloil.com site says 0w20 only.

Instead of guessing at what BMW recommends, lets go to some actual Owner's Manuals.

No, they say you can only top-off (up to 1 quart) with LL-01. .... I just checked https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html for a 2018 BMW 530i 2.0L turbo model, and they say 0w20 or 0w30 (LL-01FE HTHS 3.0) as possibilities, not LL-01 HTHS 3.5 oils.
The print manual for a '19 5series is https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/a...amp;attachmentid=836397&d=1547762131

I think someone posted here manual stating LL01. That was from 340i F30. Take into consideration that both B48 and B58 in new models do not differ from older one in any meaningful way except bump in power.
Regardless, engines are made with LL01 in mind. Again, I told you, one can use whatever they want. VW or BMW or whatever lease: whatever dealer puts in. Longterm ownership, anything HTHS above 3.5cp.
Again, those engines do not differ in any meaningful way from other markets. Only thing that differs are regulations regarding consumption (fleet) or emissions.

Last edited:

Here you go:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f32-435i-cou/repair-manuals/00-maintenance-general-note/1PSryV8

See engine code: B48

Last edited:
So I guess the ultimate advice here was to stick with C20? If so, I guess I’m looking at:

Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic SAE 0W-20 Motor Oil 1 QT, Case of 6
$54.43

Mobil 1 ESP X2 Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, 1 Quart, Case of 6Mobil 1 ESP X2 Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, 1 Quart, Case of 6
$60.75

Liqui Moly 20238 Top Tec 6200 0W-20 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil - 5 Liter, 1 pack
$57

Do these all have the supposed dye in the oil that Porsche uses?

Probably just stick with Mobil here? Some of the S4 / S5 people which use the same engine but tuned a little higher in output are using 0w30 or 5w30. Some even 0w40 for track use.

Last edited:
Back