What oil on local shelves has the highest amount of PAO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Is it just me, or is it really funny seeing the guys with "PAO" in their usrnm arguing?

ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‘ðŸ»

I think with the advent of better chemistry and base oil formulation that if the actual percentages of base oils were known, many people would be astonished. I wouldn't be overly surprised if Casstrol synthetic contained zero class IV/V in 90+% of its oils. The problem with MSDS/SDS sheets is many ingredients are given in a range. It may show a known PAO number as part of the formulation from 5%-50%. Smart money would say that it is closer to that 5%.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Is it just me, or is it really funny seeing the guys with "PAO" in their usrnm arguing?

I was laughing at that, too.
laugh.gif

I would be more hellbent on finding ester based group five oil instead. Better in just about every way but like every other person chimed in that it means more to have a complete additive package than just a base. All things aside, grp five is still top dawg.

Penrite has a 10tenths racing and premium range that they openly claim as 100% pao and ester.

Originally Posted by PimTac
How can it be all PAO? Additives require a carrier oil. A 100% PAO oil would have some serious side issues too. That's why manufacturers blend oils to achieve the proper performance and specs.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I think with the advent of better chemistry and base oil formulation that if the actual percentages of base oils were known, many people would be astonished. I wouldn't be overly surprised if Casstrol synthetic contained zero class IV/V in 90+% of its oils. The problem with MSDS/SDS sheets is many ingredients are given in a range. It may show a known PAO number as part of the formulation from 5%-50%. Smart money would say that it is closer to that 5%.

These are the exact reasons why I pay less attention to the individual components of the oil, and pay more attention the actual performance of the finished lubricant. I don't know about you all, but I'm not a tribologist. Some argue that PAO and ester are the best base oils, which may be true, but... what does your engine actually require? It just doesn't seem worth agonizing over. If the oil meets the required spec, it's OK to use, and change it as required. I use synthetic oil in my Tacoma which calls for conventional, because I am out of warranty and running extended service intervals and because this engine is becoming known for piston ring coking over time with conventional oils.

Originally Posted by DGXR
Originally Posted by PimTac
How can it be all PAO? Additives require a carrier oil. A 100% PAO oil would have some serious side issues too. That's why manufacturers blend oils to achieve the proper performance and specs.

Originally Posted by sloinker

These are the exact reasons why I pay less attention to the individual components of the oil, and pay more attention the actual performance of the finished lubricant. I don't know about you all, but I'm not a tribologist. Some argue that PAO and ester are the best base oils, which may be true, but... what does your engine actually require? It just doesn't seem worth agonizing over. If the oil meets the required spec, it's OK to use, and change it as required. I use synthetic oil in my Tacoma which calls for conventional, because I am out of warranty and running extended service intervals and because this engine is becoming known for piston ring coking over time with conventional oils.

Agreed.
I used VWB 5W20 in my 2005 Tacoma and got 750k miles out of it before wrecking the truck.
It would be very interesting to hear about you doing a Restore interval,
once the oil consumption becomes beyond your tolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back