Do You Prefer A 2 Cycle Or 4 Cycle Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you prefer a 2 cycle or 4 cycle engine for you OPE ? Alot of people don't like mixing the oil with the gas, but it doesn't bother me.

My 2-cycle lawn mower used considerably more gas than 4-cycle lawn mowers. Mixing doesn't bother me but economy does.

I love my 2 cycle backpack leaf blower.
And I also love my DeWalt battery powered string trimmer.
And my $25 riding mower that I've kept limping along for all these years isn't bad either.

So it's not the technology that I'm married to, it's if the tool is fit for the purpose.

Chainsaw, leaf blower, weed trimmer, small single stage snowblower: 2-stroke

Mowers and any larger equipment: 4-stroke

I like how 2-strokes are powerful for their weight/size so they are perfect for handheld equipment.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Do you prefer a 2 cycle or 4 cycle engine for you OPE ? Alot of people don't like mixing the oil with the gas, but it doesn't bother me.

Yes. As long as it's not a one or 60 cycle engine, I'm all about it.

I like the relative quiet and simplicity of 4 cycle for weed eaters and tillers, etc. and the power of 2 cycle for chainsaws and dirtbikes (for leveling berms, of course!)

lawn boy mowers are so easy to pull start that my wife can do it and it cuts right thru stuff that just bogs a 4 stroke..

all my hand held OPE is 2 stroke. I have a 31 yr old Lawnboy that makes me grin when I use it.
grin2.gif

all 3 options are good
I really like my echo gear, cs590 chainsaw, pb8010 backpack blower(this one is insane) my 30 year old toro 2450 single stage snow blower
edge with a wont die craftsman string trimmer with the edger attachment its ok but 20min and your hands are numb.. it does have lots of power though.

why I went battery string trimmer for 75% of the work.. lighter, less vibration/noise.. hands not numb.

there is a definite place for my dewalt light duty battery string trimmer and battery chainsaw.

Also I like 4 stroke where it makes sense, riding mower, push mower, power washer, 2 stage snowblower etc.

Originally Posted by Imp4
I love my 2 cycle backpack leaf blower.
And I also love my DeWalt battery powered string trimmer.
And my $25 riding mower that I've kept limping along for all these years isn't bad either.

So it's not the technology that I'm married to, it's if the tool is fit for the purpose.

Depends!
My 50 year-old brother-in-law brags about the 4-cycle push mower he found at a curb 13 years ago.

In October I visited him while he cut his grass. He walked behind that mower he bragged about, like he was 90 years-old. Had he walked any faster, that mower motor would have cut-out and stalled.

So if one doesn't mind needing an hour to cut 10 minutes worth of grass, then the shoe that won;t fit anyone else, fits the owner of that 13 year-old, discarded lawnmower.

I discarded my Toro Recycler many years ago, simply because the grass had to be bone-dry, or else the wet grass would gather under the lawnmower deck and slow the engine to a crawl. I tried every recipe to fix that concern - then chose to park that Toro Recycler at the curb and declare it junk.

Guess who picked up that lawnmower from my curb?...... yes, that same brother-in-law.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud

4 cycle is heavier so if you mean for a weed trimmer, I would take the 2 cycle over four.

I still use a 79 lawnboy. I only half fill the 1.5 quart tank, and can mow my yard for about an hour and not run out but it is close.. No 4 cycle has ever approached the economy, engine life and power of the 2T lawnboy. 40 years old. Just never use any alcohol fuel in it. Too bad they are scarce as hens teeth anymore.

Rod

Originally Posted by andyd
all my hand held OPE is 2 stroke. I have a 31 yr old Lawnboy that makes me grin when I use it.
grin2.gif

man and i thought my 26yo lawnboy was old...dang you got me beat.
i've put 1 piston and rings in mine.
i use whatever gas i have...that gas can be over a year old
heck i've even put the oil that i test out of my motorcycles into it.
i use it as a dumping ground for fluids.
its a 4stroke

Last edited:
I had a lawnboy "platinum", self-propelled mower from around 1990 or so (had an oil tank and a gas tank). It was heavy and quite expensive (around $800 at the time). That thing was a beast, power-wise. Unfortunately, the levers and linkages for the self-propel engagement and the blade-brake were made out of cheap plastic. When I could no longer engage the transmission, I used it solely as a leaf mulcher and it was always up to the task. Eventually, the mechanics to engage the blade broke (again, cheap plastic) and I had to get rid of it. Shame because the engine was still strong despite having the snot beat out of it. I "contributed" it to the dealer I bought a new Toro recycler from and they said the engines on those didn't last (mine did) and of course the engagement setups were junk and prone to failure (replacement parts were stupid expensive).

I'd buy another with the same engine and improved mechanicals for the mower if they still made 2-cycles.

Last edited:
2 cycles have a much better power to weight ratio and rev a lot higher. They are just way more powerful for the same displacement. They also can run forever if you take care to use good fuel and the proper oil and ratio.

That said I prefer a 4 stroke every time

2 cycle for anything you have to carry while using it. I'd be okay with a 4 cycle backpack blower but would still prefer 2.

Mixing oil means nothing to me, except that I need a dedicated and well labeled gas can for it. Otherwise it's less effort than changing oil in a 4 cycle.

Last edited:
I enjoyed using two stroke Detroit Diesel engines, especially the 12V71's. My 2-stroke leaf blower is a necessary evil.

ben in commercial lawn biz for 45+ years and used them all -the very best 2 cycle mower engine was the Wisconsin robin sold on snappers. next was the Suzuki sold on toros . even Tecumseh made a good 2 cycle the tv840 xl

You have good taste in 2 strokes for sure! I'd add the current japan made echos are maybe the best I've ever used.

I have a couple chainsaws 590s, their biggest leaf blower and a line trimmer. All are simply awesome especially in the day of "green" tuned 2 strokes ðŸ¤

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Chainsaw, leaf blower, weed trimmer, small single stage snowblower: 2-stroke

Mowers and any larger equipment: 4-stroke

I like how 2-strokes are powerful for their weight/size so they are perfect for handheld equipment.

Pretty much this ^^^
Lately I cut easy jobs with a new Worx electric chainsaw to save wear on my Stihl … liked the saw and quiet ops
Like 4S boat motors too.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
. He walked behind that mower... like he was 90 years-old. Had he walked any faster, that mower motor would have cut-out and stalled................... many years ago, simply because the grass had to be bone-dry, or else the wet grass would gather under the lawnmower deck and slow the engine to a crawl.

I see neighbors struggling with theirs.... when I stop to help, it's almost always a plugged air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back